Hotels and Places to Stay

Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy

Fairfield in Japan

Fairfield in Japan

Old Sep 17, 20, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Fairfield in Japan

There have been Fairmont Fairfield properties popping up all over Japan of late. For the longest time SPG and Marriott had a pretty small footprint, and nothing below category 4, but things seem to have changed. Expecially with the Moxy and Courtyards added in too.

As a newly minted platinum I got a welcome drink, snack, local gift and room upgrade. Not having the free breakfast was a shock, but I quickly cancelled and rebooked for a similar rate that included breakfast.

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Sep 17, 20 at 11:02 pm
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:33 pm

Sekisui House (which I believe developed several of the Ritz Carltons in Japan) is building Fairfields along roadside stations. Some PR information here: https://hotel-deals.marriott.com/fai...tt-michinoeki/

This is a welcome development as it can be difficult to find simpler, modern lodgings in Japan's rural areas, much of which is still easiest explored by car.
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by claimui View Post
Sekisui House (which I believe developed several of the Ritz Carltons in Japan) is building Fairfields along roadside stations. Some PR information here: https://hotel-deals.marriott.com/fai...tt-michinoeki/

This is a welcome development as it can be difficult to find simpler, modern lodgings in Japan's rural areas, much of which is still easiest explored by car.
Agreed. The only other chain I have used is Comfort, but most of them are closer to train stations and don't offer free parking.
Old Sep 17, 20, 11:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
However, there are others too outside rural areas, like the brand new Fairfield Osaka Namba, right by Dotonbori. Have a stay coming up but really looking forward to all those properties in Gifu etc.
Old Sep 18, 20, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by porphyra View Post
However, there are others too outside rural areas, like the brand new Fairfield Osaka Namba, right by Dotonbori. Have a stay coming up but really looking forward to all those properties in Gifu etc.
I just stayed at the one in Sapporo. A step up from a typical Japanese business hotel, and the breakfast was better (not free for platinum though).
Old Sep 18, 20, 1:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT View Post
I just stayed at the one in Sapporo. A step up from a typical Japanese business hotel, and the breakfast was better (not free for platinum though).
That seems an unintentional result of the T&Cs not accounting for Fairfields without free breakfast.
Old Sep 18, 20, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nmpls View Post
That seems an unintentional result of the T&Cs not accounting for Fairfields without free breakfast.
I suspect it is intentional as part of the franchise pitch...

Normally you might expect to see the Courtyard brand used to pitch mid-range, no free stuff for elites to potential hotel owners, but many of the Courtyards in Japan and Asia have executive lounges where you can get your free breakfast...
Old Sep 18, 20, 9:49 am
KKD

Programs: Marriott
Great to know. How's the experience overall at the Fairfield Sapporo?
I understand the location is quite central, and want to know if they treat elites well?
Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 20, 1:22 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Sapphire, MB Titanium, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Spire Amb, HHonors Dia
I stayed recently at the Osaka Namba Fairfield. Breakfast was included for Platinum and above, additionally to 500 points welcome amenity.
On top of that Plat and above gives you access to the Coworking Space in the first floor restaurant. You can use the restaurant btw. 11am and 9pm as working space and make use of the free soft drink buffet.
Rooms are all the same size. Difference btw. Standard and superior is the height of the floor. The rooms are small, but well designed with Twin or King, and a fold-out sofa next to the window. Enough sleeping space for two adults and a child.
Also on the positive side, they have their own parking lot. JPY 2000 per night.
porphyra likes this.
Old Sep 19, 20, 2:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
A casual search of Marriott's website doesn't reveal that many Fairfields in Japan. A whopping two. (Sapporo and Osaka.) What are we really talking about here?
Old Sep 19, 20, 3:45 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Sapphire, MB Titanium, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Spire Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by stvr View Post
A casual search of Marriott's website doesn't reveal that many Fairfields in Japan. A whopping two. (Sapporo and Osaka.) What are we really talking about here?
About those two, eight more which will open until the end of this year, and a few more expected for next year. You might want to do the casual search with flexible dates.
craigthemif and JapanFlyerT like this.
Old Sep 19, 20, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shonanroger View Post
I stayed recently at the Osaka Namba Fairfield. Breakfast was included for Platinum and above, additionally to 500 points welcome amenity.
On top of that Plat and above gives you access to the Coworking Space in the first floor restaurant. You can use the restaurant btw. 11am and 9pm as working space and make use of the free soft drink buffet.
Rooms are all the same size. Difference btw. Standard and superior is the height of the floor. The rooms are small, but well designed with Twin or King, and a fold-out sofa next to the window. Enough sleeping space for two adults and a child.
Also on the positive side, they have their own parking lot. JPY 2000 per night.
Just checked out last night and this post pretty much covers it all for the Fairfield Osaka Namba. The breakfast was surprisingly good for a Fairfield. Also, this is likely the closest Marriott hotel in Osaka to Namba station as well as Dotonbori. That being said, it is still a 10-15 min walk to there. Around 6-7 mins to the closest train station. However, it is well located for both Namba and Tennoji area.
Old Sep 20, 20, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Treated pretty well. Clerk said she wished they could offer free breakfast to Plat Elite. See my Original Post for details.
Old Sep 20, 20, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I suspect it is intentional as part of the franchise pitch...

Normally you might expect to see the Courtyard brand used to pitch mid-range, no free stuff for elites to potential hotel owners, but many of the Courtyards in Japan and Asia have executive lounges where you can get your free breakfast...
Well, with at least 30 brands, don't they have a brand anywhere in that 30 brand collection that would work for something similar to Fairfield but without complimentary buffet breakfast (and maybe a restaurant instead)?
Old Oct 1, 20, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by porphyra View Post
Just checked out last night and this post pretty much covers it all for the Fairfield Osaka Namba. The breakfast was surprisingly good for a Fairfield. Also, this is likely the closest Marriott hotel in Osaka to Namba station as well as Dotonbori. That being said, it is still a 10-15 min walk to there. Around 6-7 mins to the closest train station. However, it is well located for both Namba and Tennoji area.
That went away fast. Breakfast not complementary any more for Plats for stays after October 1st. However, the GoTo coupons which will be distributed starting today can be used for any spending at the hotel, except accommodation, but including breakfast.

Search this Thread