FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Service issue. Blood stain on sheets. Hotel gave me 2000 points as compensation. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2024393-service-issue-blood-stain-sheets-hotel-gave-me-2000-points-compensation.html)

Guy Betsy Sep 2, 2020 10:27 am

Service issue. Blood stain on sheets. Hotel gave me 2000 points as compensation.

Seriously?

Lifetime Platinum Elite memberr here. I'm currently staying at Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur today. 2-3 Sep 2020. I appreciate the hotel is attempting to take care of it's guests with extra precautions during this trying period. With hand sanitizer, and notes telling guests that masks must be worn. So after checking in today, and was feeling tired, decided to take a nap..But imagine my horror that I see a blood stain on the underside of the duvet. First thought that came to my mind was.. "Is it me". No. Definitely wasn't. Then the horrors..ew. Whose was it? Was it fresh? So I called the Duty Manager, Mr D. And requested that he personally come to my room so that he can see what I mean..

He came up, he saw, took some photos, called housekeeping.. and they came rather quickly to make up my bed whilst I went out to get out of the way. Mr D. then said he'll take care of the situation. So I was waiting for a call, note, anything from him or higher management..But I didn't receive any call, nor note.

So imagine my surprise when I opened my Marriott BonVoy app just now to make a new booking that I saw that 2000 points has been added to my account from LM K Lumpur . At this point, I don't know whether to think if this is a quick attempt to ratify the problem or the hope that I wouldn't make any more noise. But 2000 points? Seriously I get more from the bonus points for this stay than that.

I sent a FB message to BonVoy and they replied..

..Hello GB, we are sorry to hear of this. We are happy to hear though that it was taken care of, should you have further concerns please continue communication with the Duty Manager...
Is this the new norm of Marriott Customer Care nowadays?

Anyway, do you think I should ask for more points..at least equivalent to a free stay at this property during peak times? Or just take the 2000 points?

Update: Whilst having my breakfast, the hotel manager was alerted and came to talk to me. Nice chap. He wanted to give me 50% off the room rate, but in the end I said I'd appreciate more points to which he said he'd give me 5000 instead of 2000. It's OK. I'm 5000 points closer to redeeming a night at the St Regis now. Woo-hoo!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b9fbb12f6.jpeg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4023b59e4.jpeg

Often1 Sep 2, 2020 12:13 pm

I would not expect one more point. But, it's free to ask, so go ahead.

obunewbie17 Sep 2, 2020 12:56 pm

On one hand, I'm moderately impressed they proactively gave you any points in a timely manner -- without asking.

On the other hand, someone else's blood stained on the sheets upon my arrival warranting 2000 points does kind of seem like a back-handed gift.

I don't think you'll end up with a happy outcome if you pressed the issue. I haven't had issues like this before, but I imagine the process to get the amount of points required for a free, peak season night at that property won't be a quick one. I'd probably just not stay at that particular property again. Glad that they're taking COVID precautions seriously, but there are other health/sanitation requirements to still be fulfilled.

360guy Sep 2, 2020 4:12 pm

Not Acceptable

2000 points is not acceptable in these Covid or other times!

Gabdawg Sep 2, 2020 4:39 pm

Gross for sure. I suppose I look at this very differently from OP. The hotel did remedy the situation immediately. Mistakes happen, mistakes are fixed. Its not like the hotel ignored OP's concern or refused to remedy it. It is also possible that an employee was disciplined in some manner. I certainly would not lose sleep or agonize over getting compensation or not.

Centurion Sep 2, 2020 5:54 pm

Entitled 1st world complaint when people are dying. You wasted the duty managers time already.

sleuth Sep 2, 2020 6:08 pm

I would thoroughly check that room for bed bugs.

Intl359Widget Sep 2, 2020 8:09 pm

I recently had a minor service issue at a 4P and was given a random amount of 2,700 points but I'm not complaining.

However in your case... Gross...

MSPeconomist Sep 2, 2020 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 32648498)
Entitled 1st world complaint when people are dying. You wasted the duty managers time already.

Some infections are spread by blood, although this is probably unlikely if the blood has been dry for a long time.

People die all the time, even before COVID-19. By your logic, no one should ever complain about anything.

I would also argue that for many hotel management positions (including the duty manager or assistant manager on duty), dealing with guests' concerns is an important part of the job. If someone thinks that a guest with a valid complaint is wasting their time, that employee should find a new career field other than hospitality.

LondonElite Sep 2, 2020 11:48 pm

I honestly thought your story was tongue-in-cheek humour at first. The horror? They made up your bed and gave you some points. Can you imagine the filth in the carpet? Or the accumulated bodily fluids in the mattress?

storewanderer Sep 3, 2020 12:32 am

This is Marriott you are dealing with- I am surprised they gave you anything. Maybe if you had been at Hilton...

But by all means, you can certainly try to get more out of them... pretty nasty.

At least you found it early and not at Midnight.

Also good luck to the housekeeper's job. May want to keep that in mind as you escalate this. This shouldn't have been missed but I can see how it was... it was rather small. Question did the rest of the bedding appear to be clean/have been replaced or do you think the entire bedding was not cleaned/replaced? If I thought the entire bedding had not been cleaned/replaced I would probably be inclined to raise more of a stink about this whole situation.

SHLTP Sep 3, 2020 1:07 am

I have had blood a couple of times in the past year alone on the sheets. Usually I just get a sheet changed. We had it happen last month at a Hyatt on my kid's bed. I did not ask nor expect compensation. Mistakes happen and this is probably an oversight. The head of housekeeping actually waited at our villa and apologized. That was more than enough.

I only got upset once (at a Hyatt too in February) as the sheet had a massive burnt patchs like 6-8 inches long and hair clumped on it. There is no way a housekeeper could have missed that. They gave me the equivalent of maybe 3/5 to 4/5 of a free night in points.

That said, I'd actually be upset at the 2000 points as it is so small. I personally just an apology or a real make up.

LondonElite Sep 3, 2020 1:14 am

I stayed at the President Wilson in Geneva last week. There were two short and curly hairs on the rim of the bathtub. It was honestly easier to just shower them away than make a big fuss with housekeeping, though I did mention the oversight when checking out. Sometimes life is just too *short*.

Oxon Flyer Sep 3, 2020 2:19 am

Entitled 1st world complaint when people are dying
As a general FT point : we can take it as read that everyone understands the gravity of the current situation, so there's no real need to interrupt forum business anymore with "how dare you talk about <Flyertalk topic> when people are dying ???" -type posts.

writerguyfl Sep 3, 2020 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 32647535)
I sent a FB message to BonVoy and they replied..
"..Hello GB, we are sorry to hear of this. We are happy to hear though that it was taken care of, should you have further concerns please continue communication with the Duty Manager..."

Is this the new norm of Marriott Customer Care nowadays?

It's always been that way. Standard operating procedure is that each individual property is to handle their own complaints. The corporate customer services department (of Marriott or any other major hotel group) only gets involved if the hotel refuses to address the concern.

As such, if you disagree with the resolution provided, you should discuss it with the hotel.

Caveat: If the resolution provided violates corporate guidelines, the corporate customer service office will get involved. For example, if a hotel doesn't provide all compensation for an involuntary relocation (aka "walk" to another hotel), corporate will fix the problem and bill the hotel.

But, this isn't a case where that will happen. You reported a problem and the hotel fixed it immediately and provided a gesture of apology via points. Marriott Corporate will consider this case closed.

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 32647535)
Anyway, do you think I should ask for more points..at least equivalent to a free stay at this property during peak times? Or just take the 2000 points?

Since you asked for opinions, here's mine.

Your expectation of a free night is a bit ridiculous. You were in zero danger for a dried blood stain, even in the weird times we're all living through. The 2,000 points you were offered was than adequate. Think of them as compensation for the couple of minutes you spent getting the problem fixed.