Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Question for travel agents (FHR, Virtuoso, STARS etc.) - upgrade priority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question for travel agents (FHR, Virtuoso, STARS etc.) - upgrade priority?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: Titanium at Marriott & Platinum at American (both Lifetime) + various others
What is the relative ranking (in terms of upgrades especially) between these various programs and simply being a top tier (Eg Titanium) guest in Marriott's own program?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by MisterE
What is the relative ranking (in terms of upgrades especially) between these various programs and simply being a top tier (Eg Titanium) guest in Marriott's own program?
it’s the properties discretion on who to upgrade. Some properties do an amazing job of prioritizing elites, some focus on repeat customers, others are more adept to upgrading guest of travel agents who bring them frequent business. This is not like an airline upgrade priority list. If you’re a repeat customer booking through FHR I would bet the hotel would upgrade you over a first-time customer booking through STARS or Luminous.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
it’s the properties discretion on who to upgrade. Some properties do an amazing job of prioritizing elites, some focus on repeat customers, others are more adept to upgrading guest of travel agents who bring them frequent business. This is not like an airline upgrade priority list. If you’re a repeat customer booking through FHR I would bet the hotel would upgrade you over a first-time customer booking through STARS or Luminous.
I concur. Typically the priority is to take care of repeat hotel visitors, followed by elites, then Stars/Luminous, Virtuoso/FHR. Now of course you could have elites that booked Stars/Virtuoso/etc. One thing to keep in mind that Stars/Luminous upgrades are done at booking versus day of arrival.

Last edited by zakami; Apr 15, 2021 at 8:09 am Reason: Edited to correct mistake
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by zakami
I concur. Typically the priority is to take care of repeat hotel visitors, followed by elites, then Stars/Luminous, Virtuoso/FHR. Now of course you could have elites that booked Stars/Virtuoso/etc. One thing to keep in mind that Stars/Luminous upgrades are done at booking versus day of arrival.
Are the STARS upgrades all done at booking? Even when public Virtuoso benefits say upgrade on arrival?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:11 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zakami
Originally Posted by svo242
Are the STARS upgrades all done at booking? Even when public Virtuoso benefits say upgrade on arrival?
This is simply not true. Right from the program rules for both STARS and Luminous.
One category upgrade (based on availability upon arrival)
Now of course, a proactive TA can potentially push the hotel to confirm it earlier but that's not going to do any good if the hotel is forecasting high occupancy, so the claim that this perk differs from the other programs is simply not accurate.

If @zakami is confident about this with respect to their personal services though, I have a whole bunch of outstanding STARS/Luminous bookings made with another TA that I will cancel and re-book with them if they can secure at time of booking upgrades on them. Let me know.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This is simply not true. Right from the program rules for both STARS and Luminous.

Now of course, a proactive TA can potentially push the hotel to confirm it earlier but that's not going to do any good if the hotel is forecasting high occupancy, so the claim that this perk differs from the other programs is simply not accurate.

If @zakami is confident about this with respect to their personal services though, I have a whole bunch of outstanding STARS/Luminous bookings made with another TA that I will cancel and re-book with them if they can secure at time of booking upgrades on them. Let me know.
Any of us who are preferred agents with Marriott can offer the same service, regarding upgrades at booking, and proactive service enhancements prior to arrival.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:56 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Any of us who are preferred agents with Marriott can offer the same service, regarding upgrades at booking, and proactive service enhancements prior to arrival.
-snip-, should probably not post my travel dates here so openly

Last edited by nexusCFX; Apr 15, 2021 at 2:08 am
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Upgrades are indeed on arrival and not booking.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:59 am

How does booked room type factor into the upgrade assignment? My thought is to book something close to the highest rate for a "standard" room, thinking that an upgrade to suite is more possible that way. Sounds like I might be wasting my money.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by xooz
How does booked room type factor into the upgrade assignment? My thought is to book something close to the highest rate for a "standard" room, thinking that an upgrade to suite is more possible that way. Sounds like I might be wasting my money.
There are no guarantees and I would not use this strategy personally.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Prive, Mariott Stars & Luminous, Four Seasons Prefered, Belmond Bellini Club Hilton Impressari
For all the luxury program affiliated travel agents on here, or to those who use the services often, (Amex FHR, Virtuoso, and Marriott STARS), in your experience, is there a general thought process as to which program bookings (at Marriotts) get priority for upgrades and general service?

Do Marriott properties prioritize their own program (STARS) first? Or does it vary widely by property/manager?

Thanks for any insight - I’ve always used Virtuoso but wondering if I should try to use STARS instead in the future when booking a Marriott hotel.
I sell and book these and other rates alot and it is safe to say that hotels prioritise their own proprietary programs when it comes to assigning the perks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.