Wiki Posts
Search

Mass Ambassador Layoffs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Mass Ambassador Layoffs

Marriott announced today that they are laying off most Ambassador Services personnel. Layoffs will happen in October but affected persons were notified today.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy
Marriott announced today that they are laying off most Ambassador Services personnel. Layoffs will happen in October but affected persons were notified today.
Source ?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Numerous emails to me from Ambassadors and posts on my LinkedIn timeline.
samosa and jelky like this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: Yes
This is sad if true, but until there’s an official statement or legitimate source.. 🤪
Old Aug 28, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by hotelboy
If this is true, then what's the point of Ambassador status?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:14 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Let me check and see if mine is still there....
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:46 pm

Looks like a lot of Ambassador agents self-identifying and breaking the news via various social media platforms. Sad, just as has been every other element of this whole mess. But without people traveling, Marriott simply can't just fill chairs with agents waiting for calls that never come, unfortunately. We're in a tough spot - sobering to hear top epidemiologists and public health folks say that, 6 months in, we're really still in the "first act" of this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Looks like a lot of Ambassador agents self-identifying and breaking the news via various social media platforms. Sad, just as has been every other element of this whole mess. But without people traveling, Marriott simply can't just fill chairs with agents waiting for calls that never come, unfortunately. We're in a tough spot - sobering to hear top epidemiologists and public health folks say that, 6 months in, we're really still in the "first act" of this.
Maybe things could be different now if the whole world did a China-style lockdown?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
https://viewfromthewing.com/mass-lay...ay-100-nights/
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

I think we can remove the rumor tag now.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I feel badly for anyone who gets laid off; having gone through it myself, I know how painful and confidence-busting the experience can be. I hope all the Ambassadors get other fulfilling jobs or, when the time comes for Marriott to staff that team back up, they can return.

That being said, my personal experiences with members of the Ambassador team have been 90% lackluster and unimpressive. Most of the time I didn't get the sense the person exhibited Marriott's "spirit to serve" let alone understood the needs of dealing with their more frequent and loyal guests. When Marriott does eventually staff back up, I hope they will be very selective in hiring for these positions. I think they can do better than they have in the past.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Agree. Hate what this situation has done to many people. On a side note: as stated above, does this totally negate the Ambassador level? I have had good experiences with my ambassador and even the general ambassador service. If they take away the personal touch, whats the point? will they keep a skeleton crew?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Agree. Hate what this situation has done to many people. On a side note: as stated above, does this totally negate the Ambassador level? I have had good experiences with my ambassador and even the general ambassador service. If they take away the personal touch, whats the point? will they keep a skeleton crew?
Ambassador=Titanium with $20k spend then?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Are they being offered transfer to regular reservation jobs? Doesn't sound like it
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Requiring anything over ~$12K spend in addition to the 100 nights next year for Ambassador will be a total joke
MSPeconomist and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.