Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New status challenge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

New status challenge

I saw that there's a new status challenge available. I am eligible by virtue of Hilton Diamond.

I don't actually really need it as I'm only four nights from Platinum. But most of those nights will be at fairly nice hotels where Platinum status would be nice. Is there any reason not to register for this promotion (such as eligibility for future promotions)?

Thanks -- a bit new to the Marriott program so still learning.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
Originally Posted by brumsey
I saw that there's a new status challenge available. I am eligible by virtue of Hilton Diamond.

I don't actually really need it as I'm only four nights from Platinum. But most of those nights will be at fairly nice hotels where Platinum status would be nice. Is there any reason not to register for this promotion (such as eligibility for future promotions)?

Thanks -- a bit new to the Marriott program so still learning.
So in reading the new details here compared to the previously available challenge there -- there's really only a few minor differences:

1. You get the status immediately now, and then keep it if you hit the goals with the new option. With the old option, you only got the status AFTER the goals
2. 5 nights for Gold instead of 6
3. 15 nights for Platinum instead of 16
4. You have to show CURRENT status elsewhere to qualify for new promo, the old one you just had to ask for a challenge period

For you in particular, unless you have a realistic chance at an upgrade (or if they let you pick a platinum gift choice immediately) -- not sure the challenge is worth it for four stays. Like you'll get a few more points, which is cool. But which amenities could you take advantage of as a Platinum that you couldn't as a Gold -- that are actually available and accessible with COVID restrictions?

Last edited by obunewbie17; Aug 27, 2020 at 2:23 pm Reason: fixed some grammar
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Fair points. The benefits may not be huge. Hopes: higher chance of upgrades, the 4 p.m. late checkout if needed, possibly free breakfast and/or lounge access (depending on food situations). But I was figuring that the opportunity cost is near zero unless I may be foreclosing future challenge opportunities when they may be more valuable for me.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
The opportunity cost is zero, firmly agree with that. There's just a massive thread (multiple even) of FTers talking about the lack of proactive upgrades as a Platinum or Titanium -- you may have the same result just asking for one. The other perks just don't seem as valuable if they can't be leveraged, or wouldn't be leveraged anyway. Free/discounted breakfast is nice, but some restaurants aren't good enough for me to want it even if it's free. Lounges in the US are closed (I believe). I've never actually used the late checkout.

If you have a special occassion coming up, I say go for it. I love Parks & Rec and firmly believe that you should "Treat Yo Self" whenever possible. But I'd for sure ask for an upgrade rather than just hope/assume one would be offered.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I've actually had pretty good luck requesting upgrades recently at my current Gold status, but I did actually have a special occasion (anniversary) to state as justification. It feels a little different to just say "hey, can I have an upgrade?" Maybe it shouldn't though.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Somehow I had IHG Platinum and 1 stay so far this year. I think it was a soft landing from Spire. Went ahead and submitted the form. Might be able to use it a few times in the next 3 months. Thank you !
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
YOU’RE PLATINUM Welcome to your new Elite status. Marriott Bonvoy™ Platinum Elite status is yours for the next 90 days. Now stay 15 eligible nights* — instead of the usual 50 nights — by November 25, 2020, to keep your status until February 2022.

that was quick
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: Yes
With how easy it is to obtain Platinum it really is the new Gold tier.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
I'm a low Silver with Marriott but Diamond with Hilton so just applied. See how long this takes.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
Hmm just wondering if I can turn free nights from vouchers into paid nights(by paying for an upgrade,etc). So that I can be eligible to be counted as one of the 15 stays to get Platinum Elite
Old Aug 27, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by teo1991
Hmm just wondering if I can turn free nights from vouchers into paid nights(by paying for an upgrade,etc). So that I can be eligible to be counted as one of the 15 stays to get Platinum Elite
Not likely, cancel and rebook to qualify.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brumsey
Is there any reason not to register for this promotion (such as eligibility for future promotions)?
Because at some point in the future you might need a challenge / status match, and you could be disqualified for having done the challenge in 2020.
SPN Lifer, Jon Maiman, cur and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Because at some point in the future you might need a challenge / status match, and you could be disqualified for having done the challenge in 2020.
This is what worries me. I could match IHG Platinum or Hilton Gold and be Bonvoy Plat before my next two stays, but it looks like I’ll hit Plat this year anyway, and I don’t want to be excluded from a status challenge in a year where I might struggle to hit Platinum organically (free nights have made it easier this year).

My current stay and next two stays have breakfast included in the rate already, so can anyone see a particular advantage to being Bonvoy Plat? The upcoming stays are AC Belfast and Trump Turnberry in Scotland.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum Premier, Skywards Gold, HH Gold, M&M FTL
Trying to log in on the landingpage mentioned, all I get is Ooops: Something went wrong with your request. Please attempt it again or reach out to Member Support with any questions.
Anyone else having these issues?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Travelsam
Trying to log in on the landingpage mentioned, all I get is Ooops: Something went wrong with your request. Please attempt it again or reach out to Member Support with any questions.
Anyone else having these issues?
Yes! Tried on numerous devices and browsers and same message ☹️

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.