Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do you still use the Gym/Fitness Center at Marriott Hotels?

Old Aug 15, 20, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, National EE

If so, did you have any issues reserving a slot to use the gym? Since the pandemic, I just ended up asking for extra towels and doing workouts in my room, especially when I'm working in the states.
Old Aug 15, 20, 11:08 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by GateGuardian View Post
If so, did you have any issues reserving a slot to use the gym? Since the pandemic, I just ended up asking for extra towels and doing workouts in my room, especially when I'm working in the states.
Yes. Why not ? Unless you are hyper hysteric.
Old Aug 15, 20, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by GateGuardian View Post
Yes, I've been using the gym. Usually the gyms are empty, and I wear a mask still.
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 15, 20, 1:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by northernstar84 View Post
Yes. Why not ? Unless you are hyper hysteric.
Or, say, vulnerable to severe illness and death from a viral pandemic. I live close to Aruba and nearly 1,000 people have been confirmed infected through a club and a gym in just 5 days (on an island with previous just 2-3 cases a day).

Personally, I'm no longer going to public gyms and I do not go anywhere anywhere near as dangerous as many US states. But hey, somehow safety is political so as we can see this thread has already turned into people insulting others.
Old Aug 15, 20, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, National EE
Maybe low due to low capacity, but I've never seen anyone using the the gym when I pass by, hence I thought it's become the norm not to use it.
Old Aug 15, 20, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by wchinchen View Post
Yes, I've been using the gym. Usually the gyms are empty, and I wear a mask still.
Yeah I was about to say, the only people who ever used the hotel gyms were fellow business travelers. And since there are none of those any more, one would have the place to themselves.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I live close to Aruba and nearly 1,000 people have been confirmed infected through a club and a gym in just 5 days (on an island with previous just 2-3 cases a day).
I cannot say that I have ever heard the phrase "close to Aruba" used as a descriptor before, lol. Guess you are either on B, C, or being a bit liberal in your use of "close"?
margarita girl and VCURamFan like this.
Old Aug 15, 20, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Gyms are closed in California.

I used the fitness center at Camelback Inn before AZ shut them all down and it was not a comfortable experience. It's going to be a while before I use one again.
Old Aug 15, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
My daughter and I tried to use a gym at a brand new Fairfield Inn. The equipment they had was surprisingly nice; however, the room was small as you would expect at a FI. We chose an off peak time and went in and initially had the gym to ourselves. We had just finished warming up when a women came in who didn't seem to be to good on social distancing. We weren't comfortable so we left. After that, whenever we checked there was always some else in the gym. Furthermore, some of them were doing very hardcore workouts and sweating profusely. While that is perfectly normal for gym use, it made us nervous about the ability of the hotel to sanitize the room properly. So ultimately we just gave up and didn't use it. My daughter was disappointed but accepted the decision.

--Jon
Old Aug 15, 20, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
I am not paranoid or in the high risk category, but being in a gym has got to be the highest risk of transmission - especially a hotel small fitness room.

I will work out in a (small) gym if I am the only one in there, otherwise - outside or in my room for exercise.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Aug 15, 20 at 6:40 pm
Old Aug 15, 20, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I used it once in Boston because they had it set to only use with a reservation and it also was a large space so although they allowed several people in, there was nobody within 20 feet of me. I just used one machine, which I cleaned before and after. I would have left if crowded.
In Maine they have not opened gyms at hotels.
They have not reopened gyms in NYC where I live, and Iím not sure if I will go once they do - depends on measures taken.
newbiztraveler likes this.
Old Aug 15, 20, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
For me to still be using them that would require my having used them before.

Not saying I should, I absolutely should, but itís hard to find the motivation...
Old Aug 16, 20, 1:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Hawaii has had at least a few outbreaks associated with gyms. Some things are voodoo (like the single moist towelette to wipe down your seat, thanks United), but avoiding gyms is not voodoo.
Old Aug 16, 20, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
I've used a handful. Policies have varied wildly... Residence Inn LAS required reservations but allowed several people to work out at once. TownePlace Suites SLC was one person at a time. Westin DEN was unrestricted (but also unused and large/spacious -- great pool & hot tub too). Same with TownePlace Suites in St. George (nice outdoor hot tub).

Most of the ~40 properties I've stayed in since May have not had an open gym though, and fewer have had a pool or hot tub open.
Old Aug 16, 20, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's easy enough to limit access to permit social distancing and to require masks. But, that is only a small part of the issue with an indoor facility involving high exertion.

Equipment needs to be thoroughly disinfected between each use. This means that when a piece of equipment is used, it is placed out of service until it has been cleaned.

In location after location across jurisdictions, contact tracing leads back to indoor gyms. One asymptomatic superspreader and you wind up on a ventilator. All a matter of your own risk tolerance.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Happy to live in Europa. As I realize here it is everything much more relaxed. Expect the panic in Spain.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: