FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   2020 Q3/4 Global Promo : 2,500 bonus points per stay; *now extended to 10 Nov* (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2023271-2020-q3-4-global-promo-2-500-bonus-points-per-stay-now-extended-10-nov.html)

claimui Aug 12, 2020 7:46 am

2020 Q3/4 Global Promo : 2,500 bonus points per stay; *now extended to 10 Nov*

Rumors of a new promo: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/08/12/...tober-18-2020/

2500 points per stay, extra 5000 points on the third stay, from Aug 13 to Oct 18.

UKTraveller4Fun Aug 12, 2020 10:05 am

Originally Posted by claimui (Post 32598978)
Rumors of a new promo: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/08/12/...tober-18-2020/

2500 points per stay, extra 5000 points on the third stay, from Aug 13 to Oct 18.

Are they wanting to push away anyone considering a longer stay or at higher end properties! Marriot historically had a lack of high end / quality properties and this just goes to show why, they simply don;t understand the market and aim at short stay business travellers! Really not sure how many of these are out there at the moment! In a time where everyones status is extended and dont need to worry about staying somewhere to keep it, this pushes me even further away from Marriott!

Lets hope its not all thats on offer as if it is there next quartly earnings report is going to look even worse!

MePlatPremier Aug 12, 2020 10:46 am

Terrible promo!

My guess is that they’ve come to realize that their promos have little to no impact with high spenders but can make a difference with bookings from people doing short stays, mostly on business, at less expensive properties.

MSPeconomist Aug 12, 2020 11:00 am

So during a pandemic, Bonvoy wants to encourage hotel hopping? Not good for the customers who will have somewhat added risk of infection and not good for theist structure of hotels that currently seem to be cleaning rooms only between guests, supposedly with enhanced cleaning procedures.

escapefromphl Aug 12, 2020 11:32 am

$20 dollars of points per stay is not going to move the dial and convince people to start traveling again. Really if there was something like Stay 2 Nights get 1 free Night certificate that may make me think about it at a spot I considered safe. So this if just a nowhere promo for those who have to travel.

Mr. BoH Aug 12, 2020 11:44 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32599472)
So during a pandemic, Bonvoy wants to encourage hotel hopping? Not good for the customers who will have somewhat added risk of infection and not good for theist structure of hotels that currently seem to be cleaning rooms only between guests, supposedly with enhanced cleaning procedures.

Is anyone really willing to hotel hop every night for 2500 points? Seems like packing and unpacking alone wouldn't make it worth it, let alone covid concerns.

DELee Aug 12, 2020 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 32599585)
Is anyone really willing to hotel hop every night for 2500 points? Seems like packing and unpacking alone wouldn't make it worth it, let alone covid concerns.

Might give some folks who are focused on LT status an incentive to hop? Arne thinks the worst is over...

David

Intl359Widget Aug 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier (Post 32599428)
Terrible promo!

My guess is that they’ve come to realize that their promos have little to no impact with high spenders but can make a difference with bookings from people doing short stays, mostly on business, at less expensive properties.

Most if not all of my Marriott leisure stays have been one nights with certain exceptions here and there so I would do very well with this promo.

northernstar84 Aug 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Yes I would

Intl359Widget Aug 12, 2020 1:02 pm

It would appear that I most likely will earn 50k extra points for this time period so that’s nice incentive for a short stay traveler like me.

Kacee Aug 12, 2020 2:06 pm

Terrible promo!

Yep.

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun (Post 32599299)
Are they wanting to push away anyone considering a longer stay or at higher end properties! Marriot historically had a lack of high end / quality properties and this just goes to show why, they simply don;t understand the market and aim at short stay business travellers!

They had a fantastic promo Q2 2019 (included a targeted component), during which I spent around $10k and earned something like 300k points.

Now, not only are the points substantially devalued, but the promos are a joke.

UKTraveller4Fun Aug 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Terrible promo!

Well as a Ambassador guest and one who spends his time in Cat 7 and 8 properties that have come to an incorrect realization from my perspective and I know several others who are similar and feel the same way.

I maintain much more Marriott just doesn't understand the market at that end.

littlevoices Aug 12, 2020 6:18 pm

It's official and in my account, I've just signed up:

Originally Posted by Marriott.com
  • Get 2,500 bonus points on each stay, plus a one-time bonus of 5,000 additional points after three stays.
  • Register now, then earn on stays through October 18, 2020.
  • Get 2,500 bonus points on each stay* — no bonus point limit. Plus, earn a one-time bonus of 5,000 additional points after three stays.

It isn't going to change the dial, but still some points are better than none. Those complaining should remember that for the last, what 2 (3?) months there has been nothing during the midst of a pandemic where occupancy levels were at a historic low and hundreds of hotels were completely closed. I guess I'll get 20k points or something, which is poor by Marriott standards, but also a reflection that my travel is significantly reduced and so mine would be from staycations/personal trips rather than work. It encourages short cheap stays, which is helpful when many hotels are cheap, and not many people want to travel that much.

Originally Posted by marriott.com T&Cs
*A “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/checkout activity on any points-eligible rate (“Qualifying Rate”).

Registration of your Marriott Bonvoy™ account is required. Marriott Bonvoy members who register for this promotion will earn 2,500 bonus points per eligible paid stay, plus a one-time bonus of 5,000 additional points after 3 eligible paid stays, during the promotion earning period. The promotion registration and earning period is between August 13, 2020, and October 18, 2020, at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties. Only stays made after registration will qualify towards the promotion. A “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/checkout activity on any Points-eligible rate (“Qualifying Rate”). Rates available through most third-party online retailers and select travel agency rates do not qualify for this promotion. Homes & Villas by Marriott International, ExecuStay®, Marriott Executive Apartments® and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for bonus points, and nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for bonus points. Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay. Bonus points will be awarded to the member’s account up to 6 weeks after the promotion ends. A member who elects to earn miles is not eligible for this promotion. For a list of current participating hotels, visit www.marriott.com/loyalty/earn/hotels.mi. All Marriott Bonvoy terms and conditions apply. See www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi for more information. Visit marriottbonvoy.com/viewswithabonus or call 888-MARRIOTT (888-627-7468) for complete details.

Note that redemption stays don't count.

DELee Aug 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by littlevoices (Post 32600404)
It's official and in my account, I've just signed up:

Congrats?

Note that redemption stays don't count.
This is standard with Marriott - they want folks to spend money.

David

RocketGoBoom Aug 12, 2020 7:26 pm

I did hotel hopping back in April and early May during the 2,000 points per stay bonus promo.
I was going between a Delta Hotel and a Spring Hill Suites (right next to each other) each day.
I received the 2,000 point bonus 20x. 40,000 total.
It was sort of a game for me. I was bored when not working while on that contract.

They were both crazy cheap during the early virus days of April and May. $49 per night. Their regular rates were something like $100 per night.
The Delta Hotel upgraded me to a suite every night (normally $169) I was there because they got used to seeing me so often.
The Spring Hill all of the rooms were the same, no upgrades possible.