Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2020 Q3/4 Global Promo : 2,500 bonus points per stay; *now extended to 10 Nov*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Marriott Bonvoy members who register for this promotion will earn 2,500 bonus points per eligible paid stay, plus a one-time bonus of 5,000 additional points after 3 eligible paid stays, during the promotion earning period.
The promotion registration and earning period is between August 13, 2020, and October 18, 2020, at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties.
Only stays made
after registration will qualify towards the promotion.
A “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/checkout activity on any Points-eligible rate

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
The latest Marriott Bonvoy™ global promotion is almost here — and we want to give you a sneak peek at all the details. Whether you’re looking for an epic view, exploring close to home or taking off for a family road trip, our new global promotion makes any adventure even better.

Register, and then earn 2,500 bonus points per stay through November 10, 2020 — with no bonus point limit. Plus, you’ll get a one-time bonus of 5,000 additional points after your third stay. And with the Marriott Commitment to Clean at hotels worldwide, including enhanced cleaning protocols and safety measures to help keep all of our guests and associates safe, you can feel confident staying with us.

Register now through October 18.

As always, please note that a “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/checkout activity, on any points-eligible rate.
Print Wikipost

2020 Q3/4 Global Promo : 2,500 bonus points per stay; *now extended to 10 Nov*

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:57 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Is there really no way to know when the 5k points will post?

I have now completed 5 stays under this promo.

They have been posting along with my bonus welcome points.

Those 5k points will bump me over the line for a reward night I would like to book in ~30 days.

Kind of a bummer that it didn't just post with my third stay.
unclepants, dgcpaphd and lpolchlop like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I would not expect the 5K bonus to post until 4+ weeks *AFTER* the promo is over. They'll likely do it once after the promo has ended. And they usually wait several weeks to ensure all stays have posted. So, on/around mid November is when I'd expect the points.

-RM
Old Sep 18, 2020, 4:12 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by GLOOMER
Who has any thoughts, will they be awarded 2500 points for accommodation on the night of October 18-19? Or is October 18th the checkout date? but in the USA the time difference with Europe
I am wondering the same thing. Check-in on October 18th is eligible to this promo or not?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Who has any thoughts, will they be awarded 2500 points for accommodation on the night of October 18-19? Or is October 18th the checkout date? but in the USA the time difference with Europe
With SPG, this was always covered in the FAQ, so why don’t you check there? Oh wait, never mind. This is Marriott and in the spirit of obscurity, they never publishes FAQs. With SPG, the night of the 18th would not have counted. I presume the Lurkers are working on finding you an answer, but can’t find anyone at Marriott that knows.
UA-NYC and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
With SPG, this was always covered in the FAQ, so why don’t you check there? Oh wait, never mind. This is Marriott and in the spirit of obscurity, they never publishes FAQs. With SPG, the night of the 18th would not have counted. I presume the Lurkers are working on finding you an answer, but can’t find anyone at Marriott that knows.
Well, in fairness there is some kind of FAQ here:
https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-24777
The problem is that it's not crystal clear what happens for a stay Oct 18-19 unless I have reading comprehension challenges. I find that the wording of Hilton and Hyatt FAQs generally leave no doubt, but here I am less sure so they could certainly beef up their FAQ. The wording below seems to imply that a stay Oct 18-xx would count but I would still not bet my life on it:
"If you are registered prior to your stay, your stay is eligible and at least one night of your stay falls within the promotion period, it will count toward promotion credit."

It would be useful to get confirmation from a Lurker.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by escape4
Well, in fairness there is some kind of FAQ here:
https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-24777
The problem is that it's not crystal clear what happens for a stay Oct 18-19 unless I have reading comprehension challenges. I find that the wording of Hilton and Hyatt FAQs generally leave no doubt, but here I am less sure so they could certainly beef up their FAQ. The wording below seems to imply that a stay Oct 18-xx would count but I would still not bet my life on it:
"If you are registered prior to your stay, your stay is eligible and at least one night of your stay falls within the promotion period, it will count toward promotion credit."
That seems crystal clear to me.

It would be useful to get confirmation from a Lurker.
Why? Do their postings on an IBB constitute "private letter rulings" that are binding on Marriott corporate?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Add me to the list of those waiting for the answer since I have a stay booked for Oct 18-19. It's a BRG rate so at least I'll get the 5k bonus points for that. An extra 2500 would be icing on the cake.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
That seems crystal clear to me.

Why? Do their postings on an IBB constitute "private letter rulings" that are binding on Marriott corporate?
Great if it's crystal clear to you, but obviously there are some people here for whom it's not. Since they have not given any Q&A which such example like Hyatt and Hilton typically do to remove any shred of a doubt, Marriott could very well say the promo ends on October 18th therefore if you arrive at the hotel on October 18th, it is exactly when the promo is ending so it does not count because you are not in the "promo period".

And the second portion of your post does not warrant a response.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Great if it's crystal clear to you, but obviously there are some people here for whom it's not. Since they have not given any Q&A which such example like Hyatt and Hilton typically do to remove any shred of a doubt, Marriott could very well say the promo ends on October 18th therefore if you arrive at the hotel on October 18th, it is exactly when the promo is ending so it does not count because you are not in the "promo period".
Except the FAQ language you yourself posted makes it quite clear that it counts:
The promotion period ends on October 18. Not the 17th. If you check in on the 18th, that's one night within the promotion period.

What language would you suggest to make it any clearer than what is already in the FAQs that you posted?

I suppose if you really want to further complicate this with a hypothetical you could ask the question what happens if you check in for the night of the 18th at 00:05 on the 19th. But I don't think that's the scenario you're worried about. It would be entirely up to the whims of Marriott's (or perhaps one specific property's) IT programming anyway and no Lurker input here is going to be able to (accurately) clarify how their systems are programmed.

Heck, a quick skim of this forum leads one to suspect that even Marriott IT doesn't know how Marriott IT's systems are programmed...

And the second portion of your post does not warrant a response.
It kind of does. Wasn't there an instance of a Lurker posting inaccurate information here within the past couple of years?

While Lurkers are great to have around, I don't think Marriott has given them the authority to bind Marriott by their opinions or interpretations here. If faced with conflicting language between what Bonvoy's rules/a specific Bonvoy promotion's T&Cs say and what a Lurker posts on an IBB, what do you think will ultimately be controlling at Marriott corporate?

So while you might not have liked the IRS private letter ruling analogy, I think it's fairly apt. There's nothing binding about interpretations posted here. They're not functionally equivalent to private letter rulings.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 19, 2020 at 9:50 pm Reason: clarify
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:43 am

Except the FAQ language you yourself posted makes it quite clear that it counts:
The promotion period ends on October 18. Not the 17th. If you check in on the 18th, that's one night within the promotion period.

What language would you suggest to make it any clearer than what is already in the FAQs that you posted?

It kind of does. Wasn't there an instance of a Lurker posting inaccurate information here within the past couple of years?

While Lurkers are great to have around, I don't think Marriott has given them the authority to bind Marriott by their opinions or interpretations here. If faced with conflicting language between what Bonvoy's rules/a specific Bonvoy promotion's T&Cs say and what a Lurker posts on an IBB, what do you think will ultimately be controlling at Marriott corporate?
For sure your interpretation can easily be defended, but to answer your question, language similar to Hilton's Q&A would make it more clear, for example quoted from their latest promo:
"If you start a stay in the middle of the promotion period and check-out after September 7, 2020, you will not receive the bonus."

If they talked about check-in date and check-out date, that would be crystal clear to me. Instead Marriott refers to "promo period" without referring to check-in check-out... one could make the argument that the promo period ends on October 18th therefore the night of Oct 18-19 might not be within the promo period according to whoever wrote the promo details, heck I would not fall off my chair if one of their IT folks might take that interpretation even if it was not the original intent.

Regarding Lurkers, they don't always get things right but I would rather hear from them than not I guess.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 4:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Except the FAQ language you yourself posted makes it quite clear that it counts
Except that the FAQ is not linked to the promotion homepage https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/promotion.mi?promotion=WB20 so most users won't know it exists at all.

Hardly a 'crystal clear' way of doing things, is it ?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
SNIP
SNIP
I was about to chime in with my interpretation, as this seems to be a free-for-all, that I would *not* expect the night of the 18th-19th to count if you check in on 18th given this language.

But then I was thinking of an equivalent and - given that we're in September already - it's about time we welcomed the annual tradition of people asking whether the night of December 31 falls within 2020 or the new year of 2021 for the purposes of your eligible nights count. This question is reliably asked and answered every year on here and every other forum or discussion group. And the answer is that the night of December 31 will count in 2020.

So, applying the same logic (I know, I know), the night of the 18th should count in the promo period. Whether it does of course is anyone's guess and we all seem to be happy to keep guessing in the absence of a cut and dried statement on the matter.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I was about to chime in with my interpretation, as this seems to be a free-for-all, that I would *not* expect the night of the 18th-19th to count if you check in on 18th given this language.

But then I was thinking of an equivalent and - given that we're in September already - it's about time we welcomed the annual tradition of people asking whether the night of December 31 falls within 2020 or the new year of 2021 for the purposes of your eligible nights count. This question is reliably asked and answered every year on here and every other forum or discussion group. And the answer is that the night of December 31 will count in 2020.

So, applying the same logic (I know, I know), the night of the 18th should count in the promo period. Whether it does of course is anyone's guess and we all seem to be happy to keep guessing in the absence of a cut and dried statement on the matter.
I'm not "happy to keep guessing." T&Cs should be absolutely clear with no possibility of multiple different interpretations. All responsible employees should answer questions in a way that is consistent with the published T&Cs (or own up to their errors and make up for them by granting the points/nights/etc. if someone could have made a decision based on their mistake).
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:10 pm

I agree with Herb687 and others that it's more likely than not that the night of Oct 18-19 will count, but I would not bet my life on it and the main point is that it's not that hard to write a Q&A that can leave no doubt whatsoever and avoid potential questions that can lead to some customers being disappointed or frustrated plus Marriott staff having to deal with such small issues which is not a great use of their time. Making a clear Q&A would be a welcome improvement.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
...the main point is that it's not that hard to write a Q&A that can leave no doubt whatsoever...
My thoughts exactly.
MSPeconomist and lpolchlop like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.