Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Make A Green Choice (MAGC) discontinued by Marriott

Make A Green Choice (MAGC) discontinued by Marriott

Old Aug 15, 20, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Ain't that the truth!
However, the chronic whiners and malcontents will never leave Marriott. The grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence.

Newman
The problem is that consolidation has essentially killed competition. Itís not like going to the supermarket to buy soup where I have 50+ brands to choose from. An oligopoly of four major players basically control the entire market. The same can be said of airlines within the US, they see very little competition as theyíre protected in the domestic market.
SPN Lifer and Sabai like this.
Old Aug 15, 20, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Those who stare at a brown lawn every day and become accustomed to it eventually can't comprehend the green lawn on the other side of the fence
Old Aug 16, 20, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Like has been mentioned earlier in the thread, no housekeeping during multi night stays will likely become industry standard across most non-luxury brands across companies in 2021, Covid or no Covid. This is a demand from hotel owners across brands. Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Intercontinental, doesn’t matter. Luxury brands within these companies may continue to offer housekeeping on a daily basis. It’s uncertain how brands like Sheraton, Westin, Hilton, Hyatt Regency, etc will approach it. But your Courtyards, Hilton Garden Inns, Hyatt Places, etc won’t be offering this going forward. I’m guessing Park Hyatt, St Regis, Waldorf Astoria, etc will keep offering daily housekeeping. But with daily housekeeping no longer an industry standard as of today, MAGC doesn’t make much sense.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT GLD, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Just request daily housekeeping and you'll get it. I'd love to see any hotel to refuse this and if so I'll hit them with separate reservations for every single day. I don't mind moving.
Old Aug 16, 20, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Like has been mentioned earlier in the thread, no housekeeping during multi night stays will likely become industry standard across most non-luxury brands across companies in 2021, Covid or no Covid. This is a demand from hotel owners across brands. Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Intercontinental, doesn’t matter. Luxury brands within these companies may continue to offer housekeeping on a daily basis. It’s uncertain how brands like Sheraton, Westin, Hilton, Hyatt Regency, etc will approach it. But your Courtyards, Hilton Garden Inns, Hyatt Places, etc won’t be offering this going forward. I’m guessing Park Hyatt, St Regis, Waldorf Astoria, etc will keep offering daily housekeeping. But with daily housekeeping no longer an industry standard as of today, MAGC doesn’t make much sense.
Once upon a time nightly turndown service was standard at luxury properties. A few of them did housekeeping even more frequently, sending a housekeeper to straighten out the room whenever the guest went out or (more creatively) offering a bath butler service to draw a bubble bath and light candles, etc.

In nonluxury hotels, I prefer that housekeepers keep out, but I sometimes need fresh towels, additional toiletries, coffee supplies, etc. I hope limited service hotels don't go too cheap on such items.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 3:47 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Even a Super 8 in Germany has daily housekeeping when we were there late July - Marriott is really cheap.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 7:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
,,,,,,and Marriott never was enthusiastic about offering MAGC, unlike Starwood.
Old Aug 16, 20, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
So are those horrid resort fees going to include daily housekeeping now?
Old Aug 16, 20, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan View Post
So are those horrid resort fees going to include daily housekeeping now?
Nah, Iím sure thatíll be an up sell.
Old Aug 16, 20, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
I guess I'm in the minority - If there were such a thing as Lifetime Amb, I suspect I'd have hit it. Anyway, I've spent my fair share of time in various Marriott, SPG, Hiltons, Hyatts, and other miscellaneous properties around the globe over the years. Everything from Garden Inns in the middle of nowhere to RCs and StRs in a bunch of fun places. That said, I've never understood the concept of declining daily housekeeping for a relative handful of points. With status multipliers, and various bonuses, the amounts offered for skipping housekeeping never seemed like that much and frankly, I like returning to a clean, made up room, either after a day of work, or when on vacation. I've never had anything missing, even when I've left things like iPads and iPhones out and charging. I'd be very disappointed to lose daily housekeeping (or daily housekeeping and turndown, as appropriate).
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
I guess I'm in the minority - If there were such a thing as Lifetime Amb, I suspect I'd have hit it. Anyway, I've spent my fair share of time in various Marriott, SPG, Hiltons, Hyatts, and other miscellaneous properties around the globe over the years. Everything from Garden Inns in the middle of nowhere to RCs and StRs in a bunch of fun places. That said, I've never understood the concept of declining daily housekeeping for a relative handful of points. With status multipliers, and various bonuses, the amounts offered for skipping housekeeping never seemed like that much and frankly, I like returning to a clean, made up room, either after a day of work, or when on vacation. I've never had anything missing, even when I've left things like iPads and iPhones out and charging. I'd be very disappointed to lose daily housekeeping (or daily housekeeping and turndown, as appropriate).
The points are debatable, though I can say Iíve often had scenarios where I donít want housekeeping in my room, and this is pre-COVID.

I suppose if youíre in a situation where youíre out of your room in the morning and not back until evening, thatís a different story. Personally, I usually have weird hours. Often times I may be out of my room at 5am and back at 10am, then out again at 3pm and back around 7pm. The last thing I want is to get back to my room at 10am and find housekeeping just getting started. Yes, I know I can use the DND sign, but it was always nice to be able to get a bit of compensation for not utilizing the service. With that said, now Iíll be sure to request service every single day, with a change of towels and sheets as well.

As a side note, it would be great if you could somehow schedule when you want housekeeping in your room during the day. For example, if someone knows theyíre going to be out at 7am while another guest isnít waking up until 9am, they can start with the former guestís room. It seems like housekeeping always works in a linear patter from one room to the next and it could be made more efficient and practical with guests noting when their rooms will be unoccupied in advance.
Old Aug 17, 20, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
It was worth it when it was 500 Starwood points, so worth (to me) $7-10/night. When it became 500 Bonvoy points, and barely worth $3, if that, I stopped caring about the "benefit"
absolutely agree - I stopped doing it after the devaluation also. At properties like aloft, it was 250 bonvoy points, which was even worse.
Old Aug 17, 20, 6:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by dcchi View Post
MAGC was a phantom benefit anyway. In my experience, only 25% or so of my stays where I opted in to MAGC would actually credit it. Then the calculation became whether it was worth trying to chase down 500 points by reaching out to Marriott. Since there was no automated to do this, it simply caused annoyance or simmering anger...
At SPG it was brilliant for business trips. I was hardly in the room anyway and collected 500 SPG (1500 Marriott) extra per night. When I did consulting work for Starwood itself and stayed at the Sheraton Stamford, I used to pull in a nice sum of points each stay. If the points didnít show, which was rare, Iíd let the staff know and they would often throw me a few extra. As said previously, Marriott devalued this program to kill it.
UA-NYC and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 17, 20, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
For me, it was never about getting a massive amount of points (nobody was getting rich on MAGC). It was a matter of only using the housekeeping service when I wanted it rather than defaulting to "every night", which saves the hotel money, and it was nice getting a small token from the hotel in recognition of saving them money. Now I'll be more likely to just default to every night, which seems like an opportunity lost for both sides.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 20, 2:16 pm

For me, it's more convenient to plan not to have housekeeping enter. I sometimes have confidential documents in my room as well as electronic devices. In addition, I've had housekeepers throw away my 3-1-1 baggie, yesterday's newspaper (with some articles I still want to read) or my favorite luxury soaps and shampoos and replace the times by the hotel's own cheap stuff or throw out an almost empty tube of toothpaste with just enough for the remainder of my trip. It's a hassle to always put away everything out of sight that could be removed from the room by mistake.

Luxury hotels should be able to perform housekeeping on the guest's schedule and ideally should automatically ask about this at check in. They should also observe your patterns of coming and going so as to adjust when service is performed accordingly. In full service hotels, it should also be possible to request housekeeping at a specific time.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: