Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Make A Green Choice (MAGC) discontinued by Marriott

Make A Green Choice (MAGC) discontinued by Marriott

Old Aug 12, 20, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL 1.99 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
I have a feeling an 'overwhelming majority' don't ask for resort fees. Perhaps those can be removed as well.
Alas whatever benefits the customers gets reduced or cut but whatever benefits the corporation gets “enhanced”.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I could also see Marriott justifying the "overwhelming majority" of people staying at the hotel don't ask for a 4pm checkout, so might as well get rid of that too
At the hotel level, the savings you get from going to no automatic housekeeping over a multi night stay are much more significant than any change to 4 PM checkouts for elites (plus, housekeeping changes impact all guests while the 4 PM checkout benefits Plat an above). So hotel owners are much more about housekeeping, which is why it is not coming back to the same degree next year
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Recently stayed at Four Seasons Scottsdale, which is still offering daily housekeeping and evening turndown as guest options. You're requested to let the front desk know when you'll be out of the room, so they can service it empty.

An example of how it can be done.
Old Aug 12, 20, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL 1.99 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Recently stayed at Four Seasons Scottsdale, which is still offering daily housekeeping and evening turndown as guest options. You're requested to let the front desk know when you'll be out of the room, so they can service it empty.

An example of how it can be done.
Similar to the St. Regis Bora Bora where I received daily housekeeping and evening turn down service while I was out of the room. The Butlers will coordinate with you as to when you’d like to have these services done and it was conventionally done during my dining hours.

That being said, I do recognize that it’s easier to do at the higher end luxury properties where there is significant staff on hand and a smaller subset of guests.
Old Aug 12, 20, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS MVP
I liked this option, too bad it's gone.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
So are the 'communal' bathroom ammenities like the shampoo, conditioner, soap etc going back to individual containers so we don't have to worry about them being properly cleaned from a previous guest?
Old Aug 12, 20, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by rylan View Post
So are the 'communal' bathroom ammenities like the shampoo, conditioner, soap etc going back to individual containers so we don't have to worry about them being properly cleaned from a previous guest?
the new make a green choice is bring your own shampoo conditioner and soap.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
I don't think most people realize, yet, just how serious a paradigm shift is coming to the T&E industry.

I think we'll be quite lucky if none of the major chains go out of business in 2021.
Old Aug 12, 20, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
I don't think most people realize, yet, just how serious a paradigm shift is coming to the T&E industry.

I think we'll be quite lucky if none of the major chains go out of business in 2021.
Like the airlines, they’ll be deemed too big to fail, slash their offerings, and provide the worst possible product they can. And people will be forced to stay there anyway because there just aren’t that many options.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Well its hard to slash much else when the hotels already are not providing housekeeping, closed lounges, closed gyms, and suspended elite benefits so you get to pay for breakfast if the restaurant is open. Its really just a bed and bathroom now.
SPN Lifer and DenverBrian like this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, National Executive
MAGC was a phantom benefit anyway. In my experience, only 25% or so of my stays where I opted in to MAGC would actually credit it. Then the calculation became whether it was worth trying to chase down 500 points by reaching out to Marriott. Since there was no automated to do this, it simply caused annoyance or simmering anger...
SPN Lifer, iskingolf and jtet like this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Well its hard to slash much else when the hotels already are not providing housekeeping, closed lounges, closed gyms, and suspended elite benefits so you get to pay for breakfast if the restaurant is open. Its really just a bed and bathroom now.
Agreed, the problem is how much of this is going to come back. Will it even be worth status or will it be more like airlines now where overall it’s cheaper and better for me to just buy F on the airline/flights I want. Ten years ago if I were flying to FRA I’d choose DL 100% of the time.

Now, with the erosion of benefits and pricing, I’d rather fly B6 to JFK and SQ to FRA, than spend money on the lackluster DL J product (and by now I mean pre-Covid).

Blind loyalty for me doesn’t make sense when it comes to airlines. I find I’m better off paying for premium services that I want rather than hoping all the money I spend will get them for free later on. With Marriott, the #1 most important benefit to me is 4pm checkout. If that goes away, I’ll stop caring what property I stay at and mix and match wherever works best for me at my destination.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So far, FHR is still offering the 4 pm guaranteed checkout, plus daily continental breakfast and another amenity. Time to become a free agent and explore some elegant/boutique nonchain hotels.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
So far, FHR is still offering the 4 pm guaranteed checkout, plus daily continental breakfast and another amenity. Time to become a free agent and explore some elegant/boutique nonchain hotels.
This is perhaps the most accurate post on this thread.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 20, 7:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by khabah View Post
According to a spokesperson's comment, the "overwhelming majority" of members don't opt into the program
Purely anecdotally : I've still been seeing quite a number of MAGC tags on door handles even after it was devalued to 500 Bonpoints. Does anyone else's experience also differ from the "overwhelming majority don't" claim ?
Mr. BoH likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: