Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What Bonvoy program pays property for point redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Bonvoy program pays property for point redemption

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Admins would appreciate some guidance on how posters are expected to post their redemption datapoints without knowing how to find them.
Guests are often provided, accidentally, a folio that lists the amount paid by the company. I've received them multiple times over the years.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I stayed at a Category 3 Protea in Capetown in January on a Pay 4 Stay 5 award. The amount Marriott paid the property was less than USD $9 per day, so about $45 for the 70K for 5 nights.

James
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:44 am

How is this information supposed to be useful? Do you try to offer the hotel a higher cash rate so you can keep the points?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by claimui
How is this information supposed to be useful? Do you try to offer the hotel a higher cash rate so you can keep the points?
It’s not supposed to be useful, just informational. Accommodating award stays is one of the conditions for properties joining the Bonvoy program. The rate the hotel gets for an award stay has little to do with what you would pay for a stay.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
How is this information supposed to be useful?
I don't think there's any use for it. It's a business arrangement between the two parties, but some people on FT seem to be fascinated by it for some reason. When the Parker Meridien was sued over manipulating these rates, there was a long thread here of people who were intently following the proceedings, filings, etc. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

It is informational and a large majority of flyertalk threads are on point or mile redemption value in dollars. You folks claiming otherwise need to do some historical research. When Randy started flyertalk the popularity surged when he helped members order x number of magazines to get x number of points to fly Concorde and then compared the value to cost in dollars. Look at the history of Flyertalk.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
It is informational and a large majority of flyertalk threads are on point or mile redemption value in dollars. You folks claiming otherwise need to do some historical research. When Randy started flyertalk the popularity surged when he helped members order x number of magazines to get x number of points to fly Concorde and then compared the value to cost in dollars. Look at the history of Flyertalk.
shouldn’t you at least advise members how to consistently get this info other than the one-off “happened to show up on my bill” occurrence? At the very least without telling us your “secret”, direct us to some posts to figure out and get this thread built. It won’t be informational if there is no info.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
the mile redemption value in $ is what YOU would have to pay for a room, not the corporate reimbursement rate.

Frankly, this thread looks like a strange version of "I have a secret;" but have at it, if it makes you feel important
anteater likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks more like a high school research project now. Oh wait, are schools open now?
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:25 am

I had a points stay in 2018 where the email invoice I was sent contained dollar amounts. I assume that represents the reimbursement by Marriott.

Property: Fairfield Inn Winnipeg
Redemption: 17,500 pts (1 night Cat. 2 pointsavers, 1 night Cat. 2 regular)
Marriott Reimbursement: $22 CAD first night, $30 CAD second night before tax

qlaval likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:44 am

It is informational and a large majority of flyertalk threads are on point or mile redemption value in dollars. You folks claiming otherwise need to do some historical research.
But the redemption value is based on what you would have to pay for a room, not on what the hotel actually receives for a room. Unless it is actually possible to use these values to negotiate a cash rate for the hotel, I don't see the relevance.

Not sure why you are being defensive -- you were the one that said that "This information could be very useful to flyertalk members", and I am just trying to understand why you think it would be useful. I acknowledge that it might be of some tangential interest to some, but that seems to be about it.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
But the redemption value is based on what you would have to pay for a room, not on what the hotel actually receives for a room. Unless it is actually possible to use these values to negotiate a cash rate for the hotel, I don't see the relevance.

Not sure why you are being defensive -- you were the one that said that "This information could be very useful to flyertalk members", and I am just trying to understand why you think it would be useful. I acknowledge that it might be of some tangential interest to some, but that seems to be about it.
I will speak for myself. I saw this thread and thought, if Marriott pays significantly less for a specific room, elites and reward members may receive less than stellar service (ie no upgrades). I have been told on very few occasions that we would not get a titanium (or prior equivalent) upgrade because we were on an award stay. Never argued because it wasn’t important, but figure maybe it was reimbursement related.

If true, I might be more likely to pay cash if I really liked the hotel and it wasn’t a poor value. —just me since my cash to points analysis is not sophisticated.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond
It's based on occupancy and I think somewhere I read it was 0.005 ~ 0.0120 per point from low to high a while back. Doesn't really matter, you won't be able to get that cash rate during low season.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
IMO, not much good can come from knowing what the hotel got for our points.

AFAIK, individual properties determine how many rooms they're willing to offer for points redemptions; it seems reasonable they would make that decision with knowledge of how much Marriott Bonvoy will remit for the stay--it is either enough, or it is not. (if this is not the case, I'm happy to know otherwise, though I don't think it would change my sense that knowing how much a hotel gets for points is neither useful nor helpful for the customer side of the transaction)

The specific amount, as well as when, whether and under what circumstances such remissions may vary strikes me as reasonably sensitive information we ought not to air here. Unlike "publicly usable Marriott discount codes" (for instance), this is clearly not "publicly available information" in Marriott's eyes--if it were, it would be widely available and no news whatsoever...which to the best of my knowledge it is not. Unless the OP can show us where it is, in fact, publicly available... (corporate filings, perhaps? I couldn't be bothered to read them...)

From a Marriott Bonvoy member's perspective, the points redemption is either "worth it" versus the cash price or it isn't.

Again, IMO, YMMV, void where prohibited by law, etc., etc.

cheers!
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I don't think this thread has a lot of practical value, but I do find it interesting nonetheless. I believe that in general, properties are receiving far less money for points bookings than one might expect.

I had a "receipt mess up" once on a points stay last year - they actually tried to charge me the amount at checkout so we had to fix. I am pretty sure the amount shown was the payment from Bonvoy to the property. It was a Cat 5 Fairfield Inn where I used a 40k certificate. The best available rate on the website was around ~$350 as I recall; the rate paid from Bonvoy to the property was $52 (!), which works out to only $0.0013 per point. I almost felt bad for the property until I saw the $58/night charge for parking.
SPN Lifer, qlaval and samosa like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.