Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

End award stay early for partial refund of pts?

Old Aug 6, 20, 10:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Is this possible? We just checked in for a five night award redemption. The hotel are lovely and gave us a great upgrade, but we are not enjoying the destination and five nights seems excessive. If we leave early is it possible to get some points back or no? Thx!
Old Aug 6, 20, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Is this possible? We just checked in for a five night award redemption. The hotel are lovely and gave us a great upgrade, but we are not enjoying the destination and five nights seems excessive. If we leave early is it possible to get some points back or no? Thx!
Highly unlikely. Marriott would have issued a cert to the hotel to cover the nights. It would require a new cert to be issued and accepted by the hotel. I don't think it is possible once the stay had begun.

Sorry that the destination isn't what you were hoping for and hopefully your next one will be better.
Old Aug 6, 20, 12:20 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Hi GetSetJetSet,

It would be at the discretion of the hotel management, but it is possible to return the points for your stay and have a new certificate issued for the nights spent at the hotel. If the hotel isn't sure about the process, they can contact property support for help.

Regards,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 6, 20, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
I have switched hotels before, was Marriott to Marriott, nice folks at customer service made it all happen fairly seamlessly
Old Aug 6, 20, 2:20 pm
Suspended

FYI - I had this happen to me a few months back in Ft Lauderdale with the upgrade certificates -- I was in the Westin and it just wasn't a great property so I switched to the Marriott down the street early -- and I lost all of my suite night upgrades and was told many times there was no way to get them back even for a lifetime titanium member. Wasted two nights....

Last edited by Textile; Aug 6, 20 at 2:27 pm
Old Aug 6, 20, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
I possible note about a 5-night award. Usually that means you ordered a "pay for 4 get the 5th night free" award. So if you were to leave 1 night early, you wouldn't be getting anything back as that would be the free night. If you leave 2 nights early, you would at best get 1 night's points back (and so on).
Old Aug 6, 20, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I had a situation with a five night award where the hotel closed after the second night due to the covid situation. No new certificate was issued but I was given points for the three unused nights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 7, 20, 3:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
I guess we’ll stick it out. Thx. We’re enjoying it more now anyway.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: