Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Experiences with Bonvoy properties not taking Covid seriously

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Bonvoy properties not taking Covid seriously

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
I stayed in a number of Marriotts at the start of July from Oregon -> Michigan, and most of them had very few staff using masks (and often not properly even when present), though many had reduced breakfasts to grab bags with the most uninteresting items...
Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by kabroui
3 AZ DOT workers jumped into the elevator with me at the last minute without any face masks.
This frosts me more than anything else in this thread.

”OUT!”

That’s what I’d say while holding the door.
if they didn’t leave I’d snap a pic and report these a-holes.

Last edited by Podcat; Aug 15, 2020 at 2:19 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 15, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Podcat
”OUT!” That’s what I’d say while holding the door..
... and here's what would have really happened: they'd've looked at you like you were crazy and waited for you to get out.
DJ_Iceman and Pirrito like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by Podcat
This frosts me more than anything else in this thread.

”OUT!”

That’s what I’d say if while holding the door.
if they didn’t leave I’d snap a pic and report these a-holes.
Oh my god what a terrible thing to do.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Idiots touching food with their hands and reusing dirty plates has been an issue throughout much of the world pre-coronavirus
+1 on that. Hotel buffets are a petrie dish in the *best* of times. And I can't count how many times I've stayed in swanky western-branded hotels where the waitstaff was seemingly addicted to touching their faces, rubbing their noses, etc.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by tai4de2
And I can't count how many times I've stayed in swanky western-branded hotels where the waitstaff was seemingly addicted to touching their faces, rubbing their noses, etc.
Yes ... and WHAT IS THAT?
When did it start?
This was driving me bananas before the world ended ... and definitely was not the norm once.

I don’t touch my face sixty times per hour.
Not even once per hour.

Asked a friend last year what he thought could be the cause of this modern-day affliction.
He said “meth.”

Or maybe in our new anything-goes world, no one tells them not to.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
A question. I believe most hotels are doing the "room vacant for at least 24 hours after last stay before next arrival" thing. Would I be in the wrong if I asked to see the tape chart so I could be sure that the room was NOT occupied the night before I arrived? Having worked in the hotel business, I have a built-in distrust of things like this. I'm waiting for awhile to even think about staying at a hotel. I knew how much time a housekeeper was given to clean a room. I used to inspect rooms and not a day went by that I did not find issues that I had to have HK come back and correct. With the additional procedures given to HK, I wonder if they were given additional time to do the new cleaning. If not...
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by slidergirl
A question. I believe most hotels are doing the "room vacant for at least 24 hours after last stay before next arrival" thing. Would I be in the wrong if I asked to see the tape chart so I could be sure that the room was NOT occupied the night before I arrived? Having worked in the hotel business, I have a built-in distrust of things like this. I'm waiting for awhile to even think about staying at a hotel. I knew how much time a housekeeper was given to clean a room. I used to inspect rooms and not a day went by that I did not find issues that I had to have HK come back and correct. With the additional procedures given to HK, I wonder if they were given additional time to do the new cleaning. If not...
My experience...I recently booked a 2 bedroom villa at a MVC. I brought my own Lysol spray and Clorex wipes and cleaned high touch points and as much as I can before settling in. Luckily, there was no daily housekeeping so I didn't have to worry about others in the room during our stay. But, when I called for a later check-out for my two rooms, they told me straight out that they are expecting another party to check in to my rooms after I check-out that day. So, there was no "at least 24 hours after last stay before next arrival" in my case.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
[QUOTE=lasnowgirl;32621662]My experience...I recently booked a 2 bedroom villa at a MVC. I brought my own Lysol spray and Clorex wipes and cleaned high touch points and as much as I can before settling in. Luckily, there was no daily housekeeping so I didn't have to worry about others in the room during our stay. But, when I called for a later check-out for my two rooms, they told me straight out that they are expecting another party to check in to my rooms after I check-out that day. So, there was no "at least 24 hours after last stay before next arrival" in my case.[/QUOTE

Tricky one there.Front desks seem to use the “we have a large party arriving today” tonend a late checkout argument
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I assume normal housekeeping and so anything beyond that is a bonus. In my two trips during COVID-19, I brought a bottle of cleaner and paper towels. I sprayed and wiped down all high contact surfaces when I arrived. It took no more than 5 minutes to accomplish. My only dependency is clean sheets and pillowcases since I depend on what's provided and do nothing with them. The staff and most guests were masked.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Seems a lot of people here are still hyper paranoid
DJ_Iceman, Pirrito and kennycrudup like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by northernstar84
Seems a lot of people here are still hyper paranoid
It seems a lot of people here want consistent enforcement of the policies and procedures advertised by Marriott.

I don't recall Marriott sending me an email that said "hope you enjoy your stay, but good luck with the virus, bring lots of wipes!"
avja and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It seems a lot of people here want consistent enforcement of the policies and procedures advertised by Marriott.
Marriott has never been able to do this, with anything. I'm not sure why anyone thinks they're going to start now.
SPN Lifer, cawhite, BigJC and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cmd320
Marriott has never been able to do this, with anything. I'm not sure why anyone thinks they're going to start now.
Personally, I don't expect them to - the hotels are mostly franchisees, and they can do as they please, within limits. What annoys me is Marriott sending letters to owners telling them not to exceed the base benefits for Elite members and they expect the hotels to follow those guidelines, yet when they tell owners to follow coronavirus procedures, there is no follow up, auditing or enforcement. Heavens forbid I get some extra bonus amenity as a Platinum from an elite-friendly hotel owner, yet I can go to a hotel during the virus and find a filthy room?
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
My two Covid experiences: Durham UK- excellent. Good social distancing in restaurant with everything you would get from a buffet breakfast brought to your table. Booked time at half hour intervals for breakfast. Staff wearing masks properly. Hand sanitizer at regular intervals. Anti viral wipes in rooms.

Luton Airport Courtyard: masks worn under the chin. Breakfast only as plated hit selection. No dietary requirements catered as no cereal, fruit, yogurt, cold items. Husband is a diabetic with angina, high colesterol and high blood pressure. Nothing but fatty food. Told them he had disabilities they assume this meant he was in a wheelchair and tried to provide accessible room. Not a clue on Disability awareness (he is also autistic and has complex mental health issues)I digress! Few hand sanitizer stations compared to Durham. No booking for breakfast, hordes of families sat for hours after their dining slot in public areas.
estnet and chrism20 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.