Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ambassador without the spend requirement?

Ambassador without the spend requirement?

Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom
I am currently at 57 organic nights for year to date.
My spend is reported on the app currently at $9,649.

I have been tracking my spending on an excel spreadsheet because I suspect I will be at $20,000+ by the end of 2020.
On my spreadsheet I include meals that I find on my bills, parking charges, room charges.
The only things I don't count is the various taxes, because I recalled reading somewhere that is not included.

I am really confused after my recent trip to Europe.
We all have dual passports, my entire family is exempt from travel restrictions. We use our Poland passports when travelling to EU, then our USA passports when returning the USA.
I was travelling with my wife and three of my children.
We reserved two rooms during each of our stays.

The app shows the number of stays correctly. I received 1 stay each night, even though I had two rooms.
However the revenue seems weird. Sometimes they gave me credit for both rooms, then sometimes they did not.

What is the rule on qualifying spend towards the $20,000 requirement?
Do all of those second rooms I paid for (the kid's room) count for revenue towards the $20,000?
It seems like they counted sometimes, but not always, based on my tracking on my spreadsheet.

Thanks for any clarification on this issue.
I read the terms and conditions for Ambassador status, but it wasn't really clear on this issue.
If I recall one big downside of BonVoy is that they explicitly do not count parking fees as spend. Its in the T&C under eligible and non eligible spend.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
What is the rule on qualifying spend towards the $20,000 requirement?
Do all of those second rooms I paid for (the kid's room) count for revenue towards the $20,000?
It seems like they counted sometimes, but not always, based on my tracking on my spreadsheet.

Thanks for any clarification on this issue.
I read the terms and conditions for Ambassador status, but it wasn't really clear on this issue.
spend for both rooms will count towards the $20k spend....if you are missing the spend for the second room then you will have to call or send an email to get that rectified....
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
If I recall one big downside of BonVoy is that they explicitly do not count parking fees as spend. Its in the T&C under eligible and non eligible spend.
Why do they exclude parking from consideration? Hyatt does as well.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Keyser
spend for both rooms will count towards the $20k spend....if you are missing the spend for the second room then you will have to call or send an email to get that rectified....
I see now in the terms and conditions.
Charges incurred during a stay in a guest room at a Participating Property by a Member on his/her folio and up to two (2) additional guest rooms
So I definitely should have been receiving that revenue counted towards the $20,000.

I suspect that my current revenue should be closer to $12,000 right now based on this error.
Instead they only show $9,649.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 6:30 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Why do they exclude parking from consideration? Hyatt does as well.
I'd guess that it is fairly common that parking is an outsourced service. So even if it shows up on your hotel bill, the money goes to the parking service company.
bgasser, MSPeconomist and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why do they exclude parking from consideration?
It's simply a limitation on properties' obligation to provide points compensation. Marriott similarly gives properties a pass on resort fees.
MSPeconomist and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:13 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
If they want to encourage tier striving behavior, Marriott should make the tier more attractive. (And stop devaluing the program and stop allowing properties to screw their customers with predatory no refund policies.)
I checked out the competition by staying at Hyatt recently, even without any elite status, and I wouldn't recommend chasing for Ambassador. I am currently traveling for work as an Ambassador Elite, and there is no tangible benefits between the different elite levels. I checked out the Hyatt Centric in downtown Portland, and it is better than any Marriott properties in the Portland area (They have a restaurant operating within the hotel, better gym equipment, and staff that are just as friendly. Their breakfast is amazing.) Unfortunately with COVID, I'm looking more at the hard product a hotel offers, rather than the elite benefits, and Marriott currently is lacking in that department. I can only speak for the Portland properties. I felt no different walking into a Hyatt hotel as a non elite member versus walking into a Marriott property as an Ambassador Elite member.

To the original poster and anyone going for Ambassador Elite, my answer is don't do it, even without the spend requirements. If you are staying with the Bonvoy Program, make an elite level that you want, skip Ambassador Elite, and move the other nights to another hotel loyalty program.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Aug 13, 2020 at 2:35 pm
Old Aug 13, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by wchinchen
I checked out the competition by staying at Hyatt recently, even without any elite status, and I wouldn't recommend chasing for Ambassador. I am currently traveling for work as an Ambassador Elite, and there is no tangible benefits between the different elite levels. I checked out the Hyatt Centric in downtown Portland, and it is better than any Marriott properties in the Portland area (They have a restaurant operating within the hotel, better gym equipment, and staff that are just as friendly. Their breakfast is amazing.) Unfortunately with COVID, I'm looking more at the hard product a hotel offers, rather than the elite benefits, and Marriott currently is lacking in that department. I can only speak for the Portland properties. I felt no different walking into a Hyatt hotel as a non elite member versus walking into a Marriott property as an Ambassador Elite member.

To the original poster and anyone going for Ambassador Elite, my answer is don't do it, even without the spend requirements. If you are staying with the Bonvoy Program, make an elite level that you want, skip Ambassador Elite, and move the other nights to another hotel loyalty program.
That doesn't bode very well for Ambassador status
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
That doesn't bode very well for Ambassador status
Nah, just noise around the edges.

Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Titanium us about as high as I'll go. In times like these, I wish Marriott would innovative.
bgasser, HaleiwaFlyer and FQ415 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:54 pm
formerly wchinchen

Titanium us about as high as I'll go. In times like these, I wish Marriott would innovative.
For sure, I wish they would incentivize people to spend more with the Marriott brand by offering tangible benefits in times of COVID. I have 20 SNA that will go unused. F&B credit is useless if no restaurants are open.

Perhaps they can offer a bag with travel hand sanitizer, masks...etc. I wish they would pair up with a local near by restaurant to offer breakfast or food to support the local eateries.
bgasser and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Keyser
Anyone that is travelling in Europe Marriott hotels and booking more than one room, I think there is a real problem with Marriott systems calculating the proper revenue and points.

Because I was travelling for a month in Germany and Poland with my wife and 3 kids, we were booking 2 rooms during each stay.
In the app, I was receiving the correct number of stays, but I was only getting about half of the points and revenue, towards $20,000 Ambassador, that I was expecting.

I had to request copies of all of my bills from the EU hotels via email. They don't automatically show up in the app.
Then I had to email Bonvoy Missing Stay department with copies of all of my bills. I had to clarify that I was not disputing the Stays, only revenue and points.
They once kicked back my dispute saying the Stays were correct, only one room counts, blah blah blah.

During those 30 days, we spent 11 nights in Marriott hotels.
Grand total, they missed about 30,000 points and $2,300 on revenue towards Ambassador.

When I got back, the app showed $9,649 towards Ambassador in 2020.
So far, they have corrected it manually up to $11,048 and I still have a few more nights to get corrected in the system.
I should be close to $12,000 when it all gets fixed in their system.

The only reason I am tracking this is because I am fairly sure with my remaining travel in 2020 that I will reach $20,000.
So I want to do Ambassador for 2021 just to see if it is different.
From all of the whining here on FlyerTalk, we will see if it is true or not.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Anyone that is travelling in Europe Marriott hotels and booking more than one room, I think there is a real problem with Marriott systems calculating the proper revenue and points.

Because I was travelling for a month in Germany and Poland with my wife and 3 kids, we were booking 2 rooms during each stay.
In the app, I was receiving the correct number of stays, but I was only getting about half of the points and revenue, towards $20,000 Ambassador, that I was expecting.
can't comment on poland but all my 2 rooms stays in the uk, germany, austria, france, belgium & the netherlands have posted correctly in terms of points, night credit & spends towards ambassador....
Old Aug 24, 2020, 2:36 pm
formerly wchinchen

So I want to do Ambassador for 2021 just to see if it is different.
From all of the whining here on FlyerTalk, we will see if it is true or not.
Based on FlyerTalk, it appears non-US based hotels treat Marriott Elites well, such as reported in Asia and Europe. If you are traveling mainly to non-US based hotels, I think your Ambassador status will hopefully perform or exceed your expectations. The issues brought up are mainly for US based Hotels. I definitely wish your Ambassador experience is different than mine, and worth your time and money to achieve it. If I had plenty of trips to Asia/Europe, I would have stuck with Marriott Ambassador status.

I've status match to Hyatt Globalist, and their customer service representative for the region has communicated and helped me more than my personal Marriott Ambassador at any given time (even pre COVID).

Please report back once you hit Ambassador, and let us know what you think, and which region of the world you mainly travel to.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:24 pm

For sure, I wish they would incentivize people to spend more with the Marriott brand by offering tangible benefits in times of COVID. I have 20 SNA that will go unused. F&B credit is useless if no restaurants are open.

Perhaps they can offer a bag with travel hand sanitizer, masks...etc. I wish they would pair up with a local near by restaurant to offer breakfast or food to support the local eateries.
Wish they would give a $10 Marriott Gift Card that I could use when the restaurants eventually open at a letter date. Except for the 4PM checkout that you can get with platinum, not getting much for my titanium membership.
lsquare and HaleiwaFlyer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.