Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ambassador without the spend requirement?

Ambassador without the spend requirement?

Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by rubey419
Agreed I hope they lower the spend requirements at the very least. My company leaders have already said we wonít be traveling extensively likely until mid-next year at the earliest. I donít see us going back to the pre-Covid ďglory daysĒ. Was 80% on the road last year but probably will be 50% or less going forward. And many clients/firms had already started limiting travel budgets long before Covid.
Maybe that's actually a good thing.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Much like Ambassador
Exactly youíre not missing much except I have more cash in my pocket.
lsquare and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Nobody has commented where these success rates were. One poster did say NYC and Boston were no-go, and one of my hotels were in Brooklyn. It may be fine at your run of the mill bumpkin hotel but when you go to a big crowded city the success drops down to near 0.
i had over 90% success in places like chicago, dc, la, dallas, dubai, mumbai, bangkok, singapore, london, brussels, amsterdam, paris & many more that i can't remember now....i had every single request in boston rejected & must have made over 25 requests in nyc & only 1 was approved....in all other places i almost always got it approved....
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Exactly youíre not missing much except I have more cash in my pocket.
Agreed. It's ridiculous that Marriott asks for $20k spend and then delivers such mediocre benefits. No way!
lsquare and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Agreed. It's ridiculous that Marriott asks for $20k spend and then delivers such mediocre benefits. No way!
Let's assume if the Str Bora Bora was the Marriott Standard for all Cat 7/8 Properties worldwide then that would be worth the $20,000 Spend for Ambassador Status. Unfortunately we know that there are a bunch of Cat 7/8 properties in North America that don't give a damn and so their service pales in comparison with the rest of the world. I don't maintain Titanium status to enjoy the amenities at the Marriotts nor Sheratons of North America but to appreciate the exceptional service in Asia Pacific, EMEA, and the occasional European jaunt.

To imagine how I am treated as a Titanium at some properties makes me wonder if they treat Ambassadors just as worse...
Old Aug 8, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Let's assume if the Str Bora Bora was the Marriott Standard for all Cat 7/8 Properties worldwide then that would be worth the $20,000 Spend for Ambassador Status. Unfortunately we know that there are a bunch of Cat 7/8 properties in North America that don't give a damn and so their service pales in comparison with the rest of the world. I don't maintain Titanium status to enjoy the amenities at the Marriotts nor Sheratons of North America but to appreciate the exceptional service in Asia Pacific, EMEA, and the occasional European jaunt.

To imagine how I am treated as a Titanium at some properties makes me wonder if they treat Ambassadors just as worse...
Titanium doesn't seem to mean much in North America. I usually spend most of my nights in the Greater China Region so you know that they care of Marriott elites. It's just that the pandemic have slowed me down so I'm spending more time in North American properties.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Titanium doesn't seem to mean much in North America. I usually spend most of my nights in the Greater China Region so you know that they care of Marriott elites. It's just that the pandemic have slowed me down so I'm spending more time in North American properties.
Indeed! I tend to take 40 international trips a year so this year was a big change for my travel to be more domestic focused and explore different parts of America that I wouldnít have until my 50s so it was a refreshing change of scenery.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:25 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I find it ironic that FTers actually have rosy memories. I guess it happens to most people anyway, where they forget what actually happened for a re-creation of something nicer. But FTers are so prone to complaining and I would think they would remember each and every slight (and some do seem to).
Nobody has commented where these success rates were. One poster did say NYC and Boston were no-go, and one of my hotels were in Brooklyn. It may be fine at your run of the mill bumpkin hotel but when you go to a big crowded city the success drops down to near 0.
Per my Your24 status emails it looks like my success/failure ratio at SPG was 50/50

Success
4Points Sheraton San Diego
Parker Palm Springs
Element Vegas
US Grant
Westin Southcoast Plaza
US Grant
US Grant

Failure
Westin Bayshore Vancouver
Westin Leipzig
US Grant
W Austin
W Seattle
US Grant
St Regis San Francisco

no Real pattern

My Ambassador tells me she has an 80% success rate when she requests but I havenít needed Your24 much since the merger
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hyatt's Q2 numbers showed that their best performing properties are currently the ultra-luxury (PH) and limited service long stay properties (HH). 2020 Q2 Earnings. The stuff in the middle is getting killed.
There was a blurb on CNBC earlier this morning noting that Marriott reported a 40% occupancy rate for the Residence Inn brand. I believe the report said that RI's 40% occupancy rate is currently the highest of any Marriott brand.

I wasn't just arguing occupancy rate or unique trends in the current economy but rather that, even in good times, low end properties are more profitable for hotel owners and operators.

The prevailing opinion (snobbery) on this forum seems to be disdain for Fairfield/RI/SHS, and perhaps even Courtyard guests, out of fear that these unwashed masses will sully the lobbies and take scarce upgrades away from the St. Regis guests who rightfully deserve them. The irony being that these St. Regis and Ritz-Carlton types (and don't get me wrong I love luxury hotels and stay at them where they exist, which sadly is rarely in the cities I have to visit) have a very inflated opinion of their importance to the lodging industry.

Given a choice between $50K of revenue at a Fairfield Inn or $50K in revenue at a Ritz-Carlton, Marriott would much prefer the former!
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
Titanium doesn't seem to mean much in North America.
I canít see that as a failure of Titanium ťlite benefits

itís just the (non) sense of hospitality in USA

itís the typical American (wrong) culture about hospitality
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
There was a blurb on CNBC earlier this morning noting that Marriott reported a 40% occupancy rate for the Residence Inn brand. I believe the report said that RI's 40% occupancy rate is currently the highest of any Marriott brand.

I wasn't just arguing occupancy rate or unique trends in the current economy but rather that, even in good times, low end properties are more profitable for hotel owners and operators.

The prevailing opinion (snobbery) on this forum seems to be disdain for Fairfield/RI/SHS, and perhaps even Courtyard guests, out of fear that these unwashed masses will sully the lobbies and take scarce upgrades away from the St. Regis guests who rightfully deserve them. The irony being that these St. Regis and Ritz-Carlton types (and don't get me wrong I love luxury hotels and stay at them where they exist, which sadly is rarely in the cities I have to visit) have a very inflated opinion of their importance to the lodging industry.

Given a choice between $50K of revenue at a Fairfield Inn or $50K in revenue at a Ritz-Carlton, Marriott would much prefer the former!
However, the RC will always beat the unwashed courtyarders, because to generate the same amount of revenue it takes far fewer luxury guests than courtyard guests. It is the agreggate of the lower brands that may (Iím still not fully convinced of that) make more economic sense to a hotel company. But, for individual guests, the guy staying 30 nights a year at RCs and StRs on his own dine will almost always beat, in terms of revenue generated, the guy staying 130 nights at CYs and RIs on an expense account.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA: PP, MM/LTG | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LT Ti | HH Diamond | IHG PLT | Avis PC | National Executive
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Thereís (there was?) a provision in the programís T&Cs that allows Ambassador Elite tier membership to be awarded by Marriottís invitation without meeting either of the stated requirements. I donít know how often Marriott issues such invitations.
Pure speculation on my part: if that provision did and/or still exists, it strikes me as being present solely to allow Marriott to grant "unearned" Ambassador status to VIPs at their discretion and without running foul of their own program rules (probably to forestall objections from FT members who earned Ambassador and object to "unearned Ambassadorships" based on an exception not being in the rules ).

cheers!
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
However, the RC will always beat the unwashed courtyarders, because to generate the same amount of revenue it takes far fewer luxury guests than courtyard guests. It is the agreggate of the lower brands that may (Iím still not fully convinced of that) make more economic sense to a hotel company. But, for individual guests, the guy staying 30 nights a year at RCs and StRs on his own dine will almost always beat, in terms of revenue generated, the guy staying 130 nights at CYs and RIs on an expense account.
Revenue is only half the equation. Which one is more profitable? Funny that Marriott sees no value in a 30-stay per year guest spending over $20K out of his own pocket for Bonvoy Gold Elite Status & at best LTG while happily recognizing the 130-stay per year guest on OPM as a Bonvoy Titanium Elite that could achieve LTP that s/he can enjoy at any property while traveling for leisure with his/her family outside the employer's constraints.

The reality is that there is little distinction between Titanium & Ambassador. I prefer to work with properties directly rather than through a third party. There certainly isn't anything concrete of calculable value that one could evaluate to see if the push to spend more is warranted. Even a 90+ success rate on Your24 wouldn't seal it for me. You could buy a lot of extra nights before getting to USD $20K spend. As a Titanium I have had more early check-in and late (past 4:00 pm) checkout requests honoured than not and remarkable suite upgrades pre checkin, booked months in advance or enroute to the property, even in the US.

USD $20,000.00 is quite a feat for a lot of people especially when USD $$$ aren't your primary currency. Add to that how overvalued the USD is, it isn't very attractive to spend for essentially nothing.

I certainly agree that the Ambassador Elites should get something of greater value for the distinction of attaining the Status organically. They could start with 100% bonus points, adding value back to Your24, better Ambassador training and empowerment to exceed expectations, a choice award at 100 nights and another at $20K spend, say FNA at 85K, Guaranteed SNAs, 100K points.

Of course most travel related industries are in survival mode so I doubt there will be anything new for the foreseeable future. Everything now is just window dressing for the most part. We will see this time next year if Elites are requesting another Elite extension and those still holding onto NC travel certificates converted from OC travel certificates are complaining that they are getting a bum deal when they can't extend them for the third, fourth or fifth times.

James
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dav77
I canít see that as a failure of Titanium ťlite benefits

itís just the (non) sense of hospitality in USA

itís the typical American (wrong) culture about hospitality
I agree American hospitality is typically worse. Except for the service at restaurants, when it is better than Europe.
But then European hospitality could be much worse, like British. Though I do wonder if Americans are good at dealing with foreigners who don't know their ways. I doubt it.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
what is included in the $20,000 qualifying spend?

I am currently at 57 organic nights for year to date.
My spend is reported on the app currently at $9,649.

I have been tracking my spending on an excel spreadsheet because I suspect I will be at $20,000+ by the end of 2020.
On my spreadsheet I include meals that I find on my bills, parking charges, room charges.
The only things I don't count is the various taxes, because I recalled reading somewhere that is not included.

I am really confused after my recent trip to Europe.
We all have dual passports, my entire family is exempt from travel restrictions. We use our Poland passports when travelling to EU, then our USA passports when returning the USA.
I was travelling with my wife and three of my children.
We reserved two rooms during each of our stays.

The app shows the number of stays correctly. I received 1 stay each night, even though I had two rooms.
However the revenue seems weird. Sometimes they gave me credit for both rooms, then sometimes they did not.

What is the rule on qualifying spend towards the $20,000 requirement?
Do all of those second rooms I paid for (the kid's room) count for revenue towards the $20,000?
It seems like they counted sometimes, but not always, based on my tracking on my spreadsheet.

Thanks for any clarification on this issue.
I read the terms and conditions for Ambassador status, but it wasn't really clear on this issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.