Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ambassador without the spend requirement?

Ambassador without the spend requirement?

Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lsquare

Not sure what this Your24 thing that you mentioned is.
It was a superb benefit pioneered by Starwood. It meant you could keep your room for 24 hrs. Check in at 8 pm, you can check out at 8 pm the following day. Check in at 7 am, check out at 7 am the next day. (Realistically, it was not unusual to be able to keep a room for more than 24 hrs.) It was all done online with roughly a 90% approval rate. You could submit months in advance and would get a response within 24 hrs. Marriott pretty well destroyed this benefit. Everything has to be requested through Ambassador, and it seems the denial rate is running at about 90% of the time.
MSPeconomist, lsquare and anteater like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by margarita girl
It was a superb benefit pioneered by Starwood. It meant you could keep your room for 24 hrs. Check in at 8 pm, you can check out at 8 pm the following day. Check in at 7 am, check out at 7 am the next day. (Realistically, it was not unusual to be able to keep a room for more than 24 hrs.) It was all done online with roughly a 90% approval rate. You could submit months in advance and would get a response within 24 hrs. Marriott pretty well destroyed this benefit. Everything has to be requested through Ambassador, and it seems the denial rate is running at about 90% of the time.
This has been my experience too.
margarita girl and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
That sounds like innovation. How did that worked on a multi-day stay?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds like innovation. How did that worked on a multi-day stay?
Same. Check in at 8 pm, check out at 8 pm two or three days later, or whatever the length of your stay.
lsquare and anteater like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same. Check in at 8 pm, check out at 8 pm two or three days later, or whatever the length of your stay.
Wow. That's unbelievable. No limit to the number of times that benefit could have been used? I'm assuming it's just based on availability? 90% success rate sounds really good. What a shame that Marriott nerfed it after the Starwood acquisition. I think this would be a very nice benefit for Ambassador and Cobalt. Certainly makes that $20k spend worthwhile!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: Yes
Wow. That's unbelievable. No limit to the number of times that benefit could have been used? I'm assuming it's just based on availability? 90% success rate sounds really good. What a shame that Marriott nerfed it after the Starwood acquisition. I think this would be a very nice benefit for Ambassador and Cobalt. Certainly makes that $20k spend worthwhile!
Correct, there was no limit on how often it was used. It was great for aligning stays with flight schedules.

It hardly works now and I have to contact properties directly in hopes of being accommodated.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Correct, there was no limit on how often it was used. It was great for aligning stays with flight schedules.

It hardly works now and I have to contact properties directly in hopes of being accommodated.
I agree. I can see how useful it would be for a frequent flier and get the hotel times to match up with that. I guess this may have been too expensive for Marriott so they devalued it.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. I can see how useful it would be for a frequent flier and get the hotel times to match up with that. I guess this may have been too expensive for Marriott so they devalued it.
Their IT couldn’t handle it. It became a manual process.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their IT couldnít handle it. It became a manual process.
I think I'll just stick with Titanium and then redirect my spending to Hyatt.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
in the old spg days i would use this benefit for pretty much all my stays, with a success rate of over 90%....the best part was that no matter how early you checked in, they let you keep the room till 4pm on your day of departure....i've lost count of the number of times i would fly in on the late evening flight, finish work the next day & didn't have to worry about vacating the room till my evening flight back home....

when marriott took over, i decided to keep renewing ambassador because i valued this benefit the most....but they butchered it....now my success rate is around 20% & i only get approved for early check-ins....if i check-in at some point in the evening & want to keep the room till evening on my check out date then that request is almost always denied....i think out of 50+ such requests over the last 3 years i've been approved for 2 of them....
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:09 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I think it's a shame that, nearly two years since the programs merged and with countless lurking from Marriott on boards as these as well as innumerable surveys and other attempts to gauge our feedback, Marriott remains woefully out of touch. I find it personally difficult to visibly make some things worse - for instance, the way SPG clearly laid out e-mail addresses on their websites, yet in this day and age when everything takes place electronically, they made a conscious decision to conceal this information and make it that much harder to obtain. How does someone think to themselves "hey, this is a great idea"? People whined about Marriott's legacy IT for the longest time, yet after acquiring a company with a far superior IT backend, they still decided to kill the better product and roll it over to their inferior platform rather than use it as an opportunity to elevate their own standards. Is it laziness? Is it too much addiction to the $$$? Whatever it is, the only impression I've been getting from Marriott in my three years as an Ambassador member is that all they give a d*mn about is the money, and if you happen to get anything back from that of value then it's purely coincidental.

I echo the experiences of Keyser and margarita girl with Your24. It worked. By being able to interact with a functional platform that not only worked but in the majority of cases approved one's requests made I [and others I'm sure] as a customer felt like I had a living, give-and-take relationship with SPG. Under Marriott, it feels much more like a 9-digit number - more removed, more artificial and ingenuine in its expression and delivery. I'm not versed in finance, but despite understanding that COVID has about decimated the travel and hospitality industries, cannot understand how Marriott would immediately move to castrate the experience for their highest-paying customers without offering anything as much as an apology or alternative - yet Ambassador Elite status still stands at 20000 dollars. If I were them, to read these forums and see the growing discontent at how lackluster their flagship tier is and the growing willingness and encouragement of others to direct anything beyond 50 nights to other chains would sound an alarm... but again, Marriott.

$$$$$. No mŠs.

khabah
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by damnyourefine

alaska is probably a special case given the flight schedules.
i was ambassador under spg for a while and even back then your 24 never worked for me. not once.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I think I'll just stick with Titanium and then redirect my spending to Hyatt.
Iíll be at 113 EQNs after this stay at the StR Bora Bora. Iíve been thinking about this and if not for the 15 EQN from AMEX and the one-time 38 EQN from Marriott sans Covid-19, I would be at 60 EQNs and on-track for Titanium for another year.

My annualized spend with Marriott is about $6-9k so I am not worthy to be an Ambassador to Freedonia or Gallifrey.

Basically any additional EQNs for the rest of 2020 only goes to serve my lifetime balance (324). I suspect Iíll get LT Platinum in four years (on track) though benefits will be meh.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
II suspect Iíll get LT Platinum in four years (on track) though benefits will be meh.
Much like Ambassador
lsquare and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by stant
alaska is probably a special case given the flight schedules.
i was ambassador under spg for a while and even back then your 24 never worked for me. not once.
i've used your24 in alaska half a dozen times & it was refused only once under marriott....with spg (& marriott as well) i never had any success in nyc & boston....besides these 2 places my your24 requests used to get approved 90% of time....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.