Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ambassador without the spend requirement?

Ambassador without the spend requirement?

Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Herb687
And most lucrative of all would be the kind of traveler who spends large sums at 3 star or lower properties!
Hyatt's Q2 numbers showed that their best performing properties are currently the ultra-luxury (PH) and limited service long stay properties (HH). 2020 Q2 Earnings. The stuff in the middle is getting killed.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by bgasser
The bulk of Marriott properties are 3 star hotels (Courtyards, Residence Inn, and Springhill Suites) compared to the far small number of JWs, RC, and St. Regis. Marriott needs to attract high volume guests in the 3 star properties also.
Yes but the cost of employing Ambassadors does not make sense for people travelling to those properties. It is unlikely to increase the number of people staying and an AMbassador can have a much more limited impact dealing with a Courtyard than say a St.Regis. Its about a service to match the perceived experience.
writerguyfl and DELee like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by myperks
Ambassador without spend requirement is called Titanium with Bonvoy.
lmao! Btw, I just hit 75 EQNs today.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Hyatt's Q2 numbers showed that their best performing properties are currently the ultra-luxury (PH) and limited service long stay properties (HH). 2020 Q2 Earnings. The stuff in the middle is getting killed.
I'm not surprised. One of the Hyatt Regencies that I have frequented this year is struggling. Last month when I checked August pricing, it was over $200/night. Now it's like 15-20% off.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:56 am

There’s (there was?) a provision in the program’s T&Cs that allows Ambassador
Elite tier membership to be awarded by Marriott’s invitation without meeting either of the stated requirements. I don’t know how often Marriott issues such invitations.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Just a data point...I've met the nights but not the spend for two years now and have not been offered Ambassador.

But, like others have pointed out, there's a better than even chance that Ambassador doesn't do anything special for you. Only a few folks on this board have posted about exceptional Ambassadors being assigned to them.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:15 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Ambassador ain't worth it - aim for Platinum, or Titanium at most if you're after UA Silver, upgrade qualification at Ritz-Carlton and more points, then move the rest of your nights to Hilton or Hyatt. Even the mysterious, invite-only Cobalt tier above it doesn't add any tangible benefits aside from access to Ritz-Carlton club lounges - what's the point of being regaled by a general manager or having invitations to "curated" events?

I was speaking to a rooms director at one of Marriott's luxury-level Middle East hotels, and he told me that when they received a small number of Cobalt guests, 99 percent of the time they zoomed in for a night or two, spent most of their time off-property and all they cared about was a room that was ready to be occupied with food that could be ordered whenever. Seems us plebeians are the ones who are more obsessed with perks than the people at the top, ha.

khabah
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
It's possible they would grant it with $20k spend and fewer than 100 nights; impossible, I would think, the other way around.
unlikely....my father in law spends well over $50k with marriott every year but rarely does he cross 50 nights....he has never been offered ambassador status....i know a bunch of other people as well who average well over $20k in spend per year but are nowhere near the 100 night mark....none of them have been granted ambassador status as well....

i'm sure there might be a few exceptions but generally they stick to the $20k + 100 nights requirement....
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by khabah
Ambassador ain't worth it - aim for Platinum, or Titanium at most if you're after UA Silver, upgrade qualification at Ritz-Carlton and more points, then move the rest of your nights to Hilton or Hyatt. Even the mysterious, invite-only Cobalt tier above it doesn't add any tangible benefits aside from access to Ritz-Carlton club lounges - what's the point of being regaled by a general manager or having invitations to "curated" events?

I was speaking to a rooms director at one of Marriott's luxury-level Middle East hotels, and he told me that when they received a small number of Cobalt guests, 99 percent of the time they zoomed in for a night or two, spent most of their time off-property and all they cared about was a room that was ready to be occupied with food that could be ordered whenever. Seems us plebeians are the ones who are more obsessed with perks than the people at the top, ha.

khabah
I think Marriott should provide more perks and benefits to entice people to pursue Ambassador and Cobalt.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Only a few folks on this board have posted about exceptional Ambassadors being assigned to them.
And one of them is gone.
dcstudent and khabah like this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Aug 6, 2020 at 8:31 am
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:06 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think Marriott should provide more perks and benefits to entice people to pursue Ambassador and Cobalt.
Absolutely - here are a few ideas just off the top of my head:
  • Let's begin with launching a website that functions and an app that isn't temperamental
  • Put hotel e-mail addresses on the website
And that's before I start suggesting ideas to make Ambassador and Cobalt enticing. Onwards, then:
  • Bulletproof training of and for Ambassadors - just as other brands and chains work to enforce consistency at the top end, so can Marriott
  • Bring Your24 back into customers' hands à la former SPG app/website
  • Add access to lounges at more brands, i.e. Luxury Collection
  • Breakfast at all brands for Ambassador members - no exclusions [i.e. EDITION, Ritz-Carlton]
  • Revamp the SNA program for awards to be confirmable at the time of request the way Hyatt does
  • Higher points bonus
This being Marriott, however, who've already sent us countless surveys and requests for how to improve the tier and then receiving no signs of life [before COVID brought everything to a screeching halt], I'm not optimistic that they care enough. They'll happily take our 20 grand, but they certainly don't seem to be interested in making it worth our while.

khabah
MSPeconomist, lsquare and DELee like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm not surprised. One of the Hyatt Regencies that I have frequented this year is struggling. Last month when I checked August pricing, it was over $200/night. Now it's like 15-20% off.
But are they (the HR property) actually offering any services besides a room? It is clear that the middle of the market business traveller is not out travelling right now, so they and other properties need to appeal to one or the other ends if they want to stay afloat.

David
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Yes but the cost of employing Ambassadors does not make sense for people travelling to those properties. It is unlikely to increase the number of people staying and an AMbassador can have a much more limited impact dealing with a Courtyard than say a St.Regis. Its about a service to match the perceived experience.
Hey, I used my Ambassador to get a Your24 at the only Marriott in Fairbanks, Alaska, which was very useful given the flight schedules. I think it was a Fairfield Inn, the only time I've stayed at this brand. Why not? It's a Bonvoy benefit that I earned. They also gave me a room looking toward the river on the top floor--it wasn't a suite, but I enjoyed the view.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
But are they (the HR property) actually offering any services besides a room? It is clear that the middle of the market business traveller is not out travelling right now, so they and other properties need to appeal to one or the other ends if they want to stay afloat.

David
Not really. Restaurant is still closed. Only Starbucks was open and for limited hours. Lounge is still closed afaik.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by khabah
Absolutely - here are a few ideas just off the top of my head:
  • Let's begin with launching a website that functions and an app that isn't temperamental
  • Put hotel e-mail addresses on the website
And that's before I start suggesting ideas to make Ambassador and Cobalt enticing. Onwards, then:
  • Bulletproof training of and for Ambassadors - just as other brands and chains work to enforce consistency at the top end, so can Marriott
  • Bring Your24 back into customers' hands à la former SPG app/website
  • Add access to lounges at more brands, i.e. Luxury Collection
  • Breakfast at all brands for Ambassador members - no exclusions [i.e. EDITION, Ritz-Carlton]
  • Revamp the SNA program for awards to be confirmable at the time of request the way Hyatt does
  • Higher points bonus
This being Marriott, however, who've already sent us countless surveys and requests for how to improve the tier and then receiving no signs of life [before COVID brought everything to a screeching halt], I'm not optimistic that they care enough. They'll happily take our 20 grand, but they certainly don't seem to be interested in making it worth our while.

khabah
I totally agree with you. Hyatt list the properties' email addresses on the main page. Why can't Marriott?

Not sure what this Your24 thing that you mentioned is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.