Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New Promo: Earn 10x pts. on eligible purchases with Marriott Bonvoy American Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Promo: Earn 10x pts. on eligible purchases with Marriott Bonvoy American Express

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I was quite pleased to see this offer and will take advantage. My AA card already gives double miles for these categories, but 5x points will get all spend for this time.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Both the Marriott Bonvoy credit cards from Chase and the AXP Marriott business card are offering 10 points per dollar charge at restaurants. The Chase offer goes thru 9/15 and the AXP goes thru 10/31. I used both cards since the start of the offer and I have just now gotten my statements. I received the 10 points on the Chase card but not the AXP card, just the usual 4 points. So I looked at the fine print again and it says I may have to wait 12 weeks after the billing period to receive the bonus points. How ridiculous! If Chase can do it properly, why can’t AXP? Maybe they are thinking people will forget about it when 12 weeks rolls around. I’ve had trouble with them before. So I suggest people use the Chase card til 9/15.
SanDiego1K and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by HookEm; Aug 9, 2020 at 1:08 pm Reason: Date correction
Old Aug 9, 2020, 2:57 pm

AmEx offers often don't work as expected. We always go through the discovery process to determine which merchants/expenses will trigger a given benefit. The 12 week delay totally kills the discovery step. I smell a rat, and would not want to blindly commit to a major shift in spending.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MaxVO
AmEx offers often don't work as expected. We always go through the discovery process to determine which merchants/expenses will trigger a given benefit. The 12 week delay totally kills the discovery step. I smell a rat, and would not want to blindly commit to a major shift in spending.
Hmm, on the one hand I looked through various bonus point offers on my AMEX Plat and DL Reserve and they all say that the points will post either 90 days after the charge appears or 90 days after the offer expires. e.g. my 4x grocery points posted on the same statement as the charges that produced them. So IMO this is not automatically suspicious, I think it's just CYA language that legal makes them put in.

On the other hand, I have a $33 restaurant charge that I made after enrolling for the +7x which in the app only shows as earning 3x, even though I have an email thanking me for using the offer. Unless that gets updated this may require a call or chat with CS to get resolved once the statement posts.

Personally, I'm more inclined to apply Hanlon's Razor and chalk this up to IT lagging behind marketing but I would also understand if people want to be more cautious.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
FWIW there's additional disclaimer language on the web site that's not there on the app. I'll let you know when my statement closes in early Sep. I guess
MaxVO likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
FWIW there's additional disclaimer language on the web site that's not there on the app. I'll let you know when my statement closes in early Sep. I guess
This is happening with me, too, but for gas purchases. My statement closes on the 14th so I'll report back what happens.
Zorak likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I see this offer as well. I'm assuming this beats using my CSR or Citi Premier to pay for my Marriott stays at this point in time?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
This is happening with me, too, but for gas purchases. My statement closes on the 14th so I'll report back what happens.
Any word on what hpappened at the statement date?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lsquare
I see this offer as well. I'm assuming this beats using my CSR or Citi Premier to pay for my Marriott stays at this point in time?
Any comments?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by swstalker
Any word on what hpappened at the statement date?
My statement didn't close with the extra points. I hopped on chat and they could see the offer applied and the purchases but I was told to wait a few days to see what happens and if it doesn't end up posting correctly (to my Marriot account) to hit them up again. I'm guessing it's going to be a struggle so my gas purchases will be going back on my CSR for the time being.

Last edited by Drwaz99; Aug 15, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
For what it is worth, I had one restaurant charge that in early August that was included in my most recent August statement but doesn’t appear to have any bonus points for restaurants yet - I get an e-mail for every charge I make saying that I activated the bonus, so this charge should have activated it. I will wait a few days then contact Amex

Edit - After reading the terms of one of those e-mails, it says that points will be posted “up to 12 weeks after the end of each month” which may indicate these points will post after each calendar month, not after every statement close. If I’m right, I will have to wait until September to see these points, which is fine
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:49 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We went to a restaurant last night, first time since this promotion (outside, under an awning, still got damp from rain but it was SO nice to be served good and hot food!), and got an email from AMEX within 5 minutes of paying with our Bonvoy card thanking us for taking advantage of this promo.

Never got that during the grocery months. Haven't needed gasoline yet so no idea if that will also generate an email
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
My statement didn't close with the extra points. I hopped on chat and they could see the offer applied and the purchases but I was told to wait a few days to see what happens and if it doesn't end up posting correctly (to my Marriot account) to hit them up again. I'm guessing it's going to be a struggle so my gas purchases will be going back on my CSR for the time being.
i doubt it will be a struggle. Offers for Amex that appear in this list have always posted without fail in my experience. The offers were usually cash back for spending $x with a merchant. Amex also has always been good to resolve any issues. We will find out but I won’t sweat it, just screen shot your confirmation that you registered just in case. This is a great promo.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by quinella66
i doubt it will be a struggle. Offers for Amex that appear in this list have always posted without fail in my experience. The offers were usually cash back for spending $x with a merchant. Amex also has always been good to resolve any issues. We will find out but I won’t sweat it, just screen shot your confirmation that you registered just in case. This is a great promo.
Looks like I need to wait some more. I don't quite understand the whole merchant interaction and them updating it, but we'll see again in a month where it goes. Still going to use the CSR's 5x until then. I don't really want to keep track of individual gas transactions for months at a time just to make sure. If they post, great, I'll switch back to the AMEX for the remaining time.

Old Sep 4, 2020, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
My statement just closed, and the bonus is there. I had ~$339 of spend, of which ~$247 was restaurants, and no other bonus categories during the period.

The way this is all itemized is a bit weird but the numbers all make sense:

Code:
Points Earned for Eligible Purchases:   678
Total Bonus Points Earned:            1,982
Total Points Earned:                  2,660
2x base points * 339 = 678 points, and 2660 points matches the amount that hit my Bonvoy account.

The bonus points section is slightly confusing though. It says

Code:
Bonus Points Earned
U.S. Restaurants:   247
Total:            1,982
i.e. the 247 included in the 1982 total. The extra 7x is not broken out anywhere on the AMEX statement. 8 x 247 = 1982 though (with some rounding) so this all looks correct.

On the Marriott side it is split out into 3 line items:

Code:
MAR BV BRILLIANT AX DINTRV SPE    247 Points
MAR BV BRILLIANT AX BASE SPEND    678 Points
MAR BV AX GAS DIN MARRIOTT BON  1,735 Points
i.e. base spend of 678, the extra 1x for restaurant (247), and then the 7x promo (1735)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.