Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Question re: Award Redemption and Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE

Greetings!

If I cancel part of an award stay, do I understand correctly the unused portion will be refunded as long as we notify the hotel prior to the unused night(s)?

We have a 2 night award reservation for 2 rooms, one for us and one for family. The cancellation policy for our reservation allows full refund if cancelled by 11:59 PM hotel time at least 2 days prior. If we cancel the second night is it refundable only if we cancel it 2 days before by 11:59 PM, or would we be refunded as long as we tell the hotel and leave before check out time after the first night?

I think the 2 days prior cancellation policy applies to the beginning of the stay, but not the subsequent nights based on my reading of the program rules--appreciate input from any member who has experience with a similar situation.

Here are the relevant parts of the program rules. I think para 3.2.c.i means points for the second night would be refunded as long as we tell the hotel and leave before check out time after the first night:

[from Bonvoy program rules on 2 August 2020] 3.2.c. The standard guarantee and cancellation policies of a Participating Property will apply to Award Redemption Stay reservations including, without limitation, all minimum length of stay requirements, credit card guarantee requirements and charges for late cancellation, no-shows, and early check-out.

i. A Point refund may be issued for a stay that is less than the number of days on the Redemption Award, but the Member must inform the Participating Property’s front desk in advance of the early check-out time in order for the Point refund to be issued to the Member’s Account.

ii. If a Member fails to cancel a guaranteed Award Redemption Stay reservation within the permitted cancellation period, the Participating Property will charge the applicable cancellation fee to the credit card provided by the Member at the time the reservation was made and the Points that were redeemed will be re-deposited into the Member’s Account.
TIA!
Old Aug 2, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I believe it is more complicated than that if you have both nights on the same certificate. If there is still award availability at the hotel, I would cancel the current certificate now, and then get 2 separate certificates (one for each night). That would make it a lot easier to cancel the second night.

At check in you can point out the second night is on a different reservation, and ask to have the same room for the second night.

That's what I would do. If there isn't award availability right now to cancel and reissue the reservation, then it will be hard to get the points back if you have to cancel the second night.

edited to add: In your case, since you have 2 rooms for 2 nights each, it might be good to break that up into 4 - 1 night reservations. That would give you the most flexibility for cancellation. Marriott will redeem the entire certificate at check in. It is really hard to get a certificate refunded after it has been redeemed.

Last edited by jeanie; Aug 2, 2020 at 3:11 pm
Old Aug 2, 2020, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by jeanie
I believe it is more complicated than that if you have both nights on the same certificate. If there is still award availability at the hotel, I would cancel the current certificate now, and then get 2 separate certificates (one for each night). That would make it a lot easier to cancel the second night.

At check in you can point out the second night is on a different reservation, and ask to have the same room for the second night.

That's what I would do. If there isn't award availability right now to cancel and reissue the reservation, then it will be hard to get the points back if you have to cancel the second night.

edited to add: In your case, since you have 2 rooms for 2 nights each, it might be good to break that up into 4 - 1 night reservations. That would give you the most flexibility for cancellation. Marriott will redeem the entire certificate at check in. It is really hard to get a certificate refunded after it has been redeemed.
Thanks. What we did instead was drop the second night altogether; we'll re-evaluate tomorrow or Tuesday to see if we need the second night. Your suggestion is a good one and we'd do that if it were just us--we're with extended family who are not frequent/savvy travelers, so want to keep it simple.

This is all driven by Hurricane Isaias and mandatory evacuation of the southern portion of Hatteras Island on Saturday 8/1. In any case, we'll be staging with family in Virginia Beach and award availability has been looking good all through the weekend; we're going to bet we can snag a Wednesday night award stay close-in if we need it and without having to move...

cheers!

Last edited by AAir_head; Aug 3, 2020 at 5:27 am Reason: errata

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.