Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2019 Ambassadors with 100+ nights in 2020 awarded Platinum-to-gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:06 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Marriott said that Ambassador Elites who qualified in 2019 and have 100+ nights this year will have the option to gift Platinum status when announcing their elite nights giveaway. Well, I just got the gifting e-mail, so I assume they've started going out for all qualifying members as well. Got to love the verbiage:

Congratulations on your earned 2019 Marriott Bonvoy™ Ambassador Elite status and on reaching at least 100 eligible nights in 2020. As a token of our gratitude, now you can gift Platinum Elite status* to a friend, family member or colleague. As always, thank you for traveling with Marriott Bonvoy.

= "Thank you for your loyalty, so here's a gift for somebody else!"

Lovely.

khabah
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 6:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Colleague who qualified to Ambassador in 2019 and with 50+ nights already in 2020 (which makes 100+ with the bonus nights coronacredit of 50 nights) has just received the same email, so I've spilt this out into a new thread for visibility to alert any other Ambassadors want to shoot for 100+ this year to earn this.

Note that this doesn't require $20,000 spend in 2020.

Platinum status must be gifted by 11:59pm ET on Dec 31, 2020.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:12 am

Yes, I got this as well. Now I can pick a friend or relative who too is unable to travel for the foreseeable future, and give them the gift of a title that will get them no tangible benefits. Yay!
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Let the inevitable FT whining begin....
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I received the email today too, although I already have the $20,000 spend in addition to 100+ nights. The email was initially confusing as it didn't recognize this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Let the inevitable FT whining begin....
Guilty! But in my defense, if we can't travel, what else can we do?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I received the email today too, although I already have the $20,000 spend in addition to 100+ nights. The email was initially confusing as it didn't recognize this.
When I got the email, I actually just thought it was something to do with my annual choice benefits, and since I'd already selected the benefits, receiving another email about it would be perfectly in line with my expectations from Marriott's IT.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: Yes
It’s better than nothing but I don’t value valued for my loyalty.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by khabah
As a token of our gratitude, now you can gift Platinum Elite status* to a friend, family member or colleague. As always, thank you for traveling with Marriott Bonvoy.

= "Thank you for your loyalty, so here's a gift for somebody else!"
Can't you think of anyone close to you who might appreciate Bonv°y Platinum through February 2022?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Can't you think of anyone close to you who might appreciate Bonv°y Platinum through February 2022?
Given the uncertainty around the health implications of traveling at this time, giving someone a travel-related gift might be seen as an insult ...
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Given the uncertainty around the health implications of traveling at this time, giving someone a travel-related gift might be seen as an insult ...
I know some folks who would gladly take the insult nevertheless. That said I think this is marketing masquerading as a reward, why don't they just offer a kickback if your nominee achieves a threshold.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:42 pm

Can you sell it? I didn’t see anything in the terms and conditions that says you can’t but I’d rather not have my status revoked.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ahhhsuhhh
Can you sell it? I didn’t see anything in the terms and conditions that says you can’t but I’d rather not have my status revoked.
SPN Lifer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Colleague who qualified to Ambassador in 2019 and with 50+ nights already in 2020 (which makes 100+ with the bonus nights coronacredit of 50 nights) has just received the same email, so I've spilt this out into a new thread for visibility to alert any other Ambassadors want to shoot for 100+ this year to earn this.

Note that this doesn't require $20,000 spend in 2020.

Platinum status must be gifted by 11:59pm ET on Dec 31, 2020.
I haven't seen anywhere that Marriott has waived the $20K in spending. I will have the 100 nights, but not $20K by the end of the year.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: krisflyer
My friend who is an Ambassador (and qualified) is asking me how can he do it? Is it only from the link in an email or can he log onto his Bonvoy account to do it?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the Ambassador can't find the link or email, I'd try calling Ambassador service. At least in the USA, the number still seems to be answered by genuine Ambassadors and they should be familiar with the benefit. Just avoid the regular phone agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.