FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Mandatory valet parking - COVID concerns (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2022104-mandatory-valet-parking-covid-concerns.html)

SoFlaGuy Jul 22, 2020 12:46 pm

Mandatory valet parking - COVID concerns

We have an upcoming stay at a Ritz Carlton property which advertises that is has mandatory valet parking only. First venture out of our home, long weekend at a beachfront resort property.

We are being careful about venturing out, (in a hotspot, Florida) and not super comfortable with multiple valets in and out of vehicle. When asked about precautions taken by the valets, the hotel simply responded that "they follow CDC guidelines" with no further information.

I inquired about options in light of not wanting to share our vehicle with multiple valets, and the hotel responded that it was mandatory.

Am I being out of line in requesting an option that does not allow others into my vehicle? Just trying to be careful, especially since the hotel won't say what precaution are taken.

No exactly sure I want a huffing and puffing valet (who may or may not wear a mask) expelling on the interior of my car. I cannot predict their exposure outside of the hotel work environment.

Thanks.

myperks Jul 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by SoFlaGuy (Post 32550997)
We have an upcoming stay at a Ritz Carlton property which advertises that is has mandatory valet parking only. First venture out of our home, long weekend at a beachfront resort property.

We are being careful about venturing out, (in a hotspot, Florida) and not super comfortable with multiple valets in and out of vehicle. When asked about precautions taken by the valets, the hotel simply responded that "they follow CDC guidelines" with no further information.

I inquired about options in light of not wanting to share our vehicle with multiple valets, and the hotel responded that it was mandatory.

Am I being out of line in requesting an option that does not allow others into my vehicle? Just trying to be careful, especially since the hotel won't say what precaution are taken.

No exactly sure I want a huffing and puffing valet (who may or may not wear a mask) expelling on the interior of my car. I cannot predict their exposure outside of the hotel work environment.

Thanks.

mandatory valet parking means they don’t have self parking set up. Can you park off site?

SoFlaGuy Jul 22, 2020 1:03 pm

No off site parking.
I understand this is not what they usually allow, however these are unique times.

garykung Jul 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Am I being out of line in requesting an option that does not allow others into my vehicle?

Yes. Choosing the property is an option. So when a property requires to valet (COVID-19 or not), your only option is to either valet or park somewhere else, or even choose another property.

Leopardz Jul 22, 2020 2:51 pm

You’re not at all out of line. It’s a very sensible and responsible request and a luxury hotel should never say “no” to a request that is legal and ethical. If they have limitations then they need to explain why and provide alternatives, even if there is an additional cost to you. “No” just isn’t good enough and you may want to consider a different property if that is their standard of service.

Kacee Jul 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Most hotels have gone the other way, ending valet parking and offering only self-park.

Beyond the valet issue, I would be concerned this property may not be serious about implementing reasonable COVID-19 practices.

Often1 Jul 22, 2020 3:50 pm

It would be helpful to know the name of the property. Someone here may have stayed there before and may well know of an off-site alternative. Bottom line is that it is likely a routine request in these times and thus likely that self-parking is not reasonably doable.

Agreed that in one of the world's worst hotspots I would not allow anybody else in my vehicle under any circumstances. The self-park alternative here is find a place with self-park and stay there.

hotelboy Jul 22, 2020 5:06 pm

So valet is not mandatory Only if you wish to park on property. You can drop your things and check in then go find off site parking. But it is not up to the hotel to give you that information

storewanderer Jul 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by SoFlaGuy (Post 32551058)
No off site parking.
I understand this is not what they usually allow, however these are unique times.

Did you speak with management at the property? Where do employees park? I doubt they valet. Did you explain you have no problem paying the parking fee but just that you are not comfortable having the valet in your car due to COVID?

If they refuse to allow you to self park you should communicate to the hotel management you will be canceling your stay and filing a formal complaint against the property with Marriott Corporate as you feel the property's policy is putting guests (and frankly, staff) at risk. See if they change their tune then.

anteater Jul 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer (Post 32551629)
Did you speak with management at the property? Where do employees park? I doubt they valet. Did you explain you have no problem paying the parking fee but just that you are not comfortable having the valet in your car due to COVID?

If they refuse to allow you to self park you should communicate to the hotel management you will be canceling your stay and filing a formal complaint against the property with Marriott Corporate as you feel the property's policy is putting guests (and frankly, staff) at risk. See if they change their tune then.

This.

I usually bring six figure cars when I travel and if I cannot self park I won’t stay.

I would call the hotel and ask for the Manager on Duty, FDM, or GM. Calmly explain your concern and ask to be able to self park. If they decline your request you can make the decision to stay or rebook.

MSPeconomist Jul 22, 2020 5:35 pm

OP could also contact the concierge and ask for information about nearby self parking options.

threecap Jul 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Ran into this same issue this week. I work with the elderly in assisted living facilities and it requires travel. Went to my hotel in a hotspot (Tampa - Epicurean Hotel) and they have mandatory valet.

I simply asked the guy how much is it, and gave him the money in cash, and parked myself. It was no big deal, but if it was, I would have found another place to park.

No way I’m having two strangers in my car right now. Park yourself, or stay at a different place.

myperks Jul 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer (Post 32551629)

Never really understood why people always resort to “I’m going to take my business elsewhere” as a normal traveler. Does it feel good to say that? I don’t know. Maybe it does. I get it if you are feeding 5-6 figure events and rooms but if I was the hotel, I will say to the normal Joe Traveler, “thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you at a later time.”

having said that, emailing the concierge for other options is the way to go.

Tanic Jul 22, 2020 7:02 pm

I brought my truck to a "mandatory valet" hotel last year. None of the teenagers could figure out how to drive a stick. I was called in my room to return to the lobby and park it myself.

SoFlaGuy Jul 22, 2020 7:07 pm

It is the Ritz Carlton in Naples, Florida. It is right on the beach, not in an urban area where there is adjacent parking.

I was told there is no other option.

I would also like to park in the hotel garage since they have a vehicle charger which I would like to use.

I am a little surprised in this time of heightened caution with social distancing (for example, they have removed all pens and magazines from the room, and cleaning can be discontinued) that they would insist on this still occurring against a guest's wishes. There's no real "reason" for the valet to be required, like I have seen in NYC where the parking occurred off site at a parking garage.