FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Mandatory valet parking - COVID concerns (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2022104-mandatory-valet-parking-covid-concerns.html)

MSPeconomist Jul 23, 2020 6:59 am

In some places, the valet parkers park cars in and then juggle them around when someone wants their car, so it can be many valets over several days, not just one on arrival and another one for departure (assuming that the guest doesn't use the car during the stay, for example). In some luxury hotels, the valets seem to actively try to park the most impressive guest cars on display near the front entrance and viewable from the street, while the less impressive cars are hidden as soon as possible. This can result in more "unnecessary" movement of vehicles.

A sick or asymptomatic valet doesn't need to sneeze or cough on the steering wheel, just breath in the enclosed space. Plus, there are many places on a car that the valet could touch, so I wouldn't be confident that trying to wipe down surfaces before getting into the car would necessarily get everything.

BTW, can we assume that the guest has made clear to the hotel and any valet parking employees that he/she is simply trying to avoid having random strangers enter the car and not trying to avoid paying the *fee* for valet parking?

DJ_Iceman Jul 23, 2020 9:13 am

I agree with a previous poster that if someone is concerned about a stranger breathing in their car, that they are better off not traveling right now. While we all have different degrees of risk tolerance when it comes to coronavirus (like anything else), it would seem that stressing about mandatory valet is a sign that all kinds of other unavoidable things are also going to cause stress.

Eastbay1K Jul 23, 2020 9:40 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 32552483)

I agree this is a puzzling position for the hotel to adopt right now. The only thing I can speculate is that the union contract states that all parking must be handled by valet employees. During contract negotiations, I could see the hotel agreeing to that stipulation. (Someone would have had to have incredible forethought to add a "except during global pandemics" clause.)

I'm with the other posters that say you should choose a different hotel.

There might be insurance restrictions on the general public entering the "secured" parking area.
There may be issues regarding the physical location of the parking lot (i.e., not ADA-compliant, double or triple parked cars, etc.)
This may be a "this is how we do it, take it or leave it" situation.

If it is the first two, there's really no other remedy other than parking off-site or staying elsewhere, and arguing with the hotel and "threatening" to stay elsewhere isn't really productive. Informing the hotel why one needs to stay elsewhere is different.

cmd320 Jul 23, 2020 12:40 pm

I agree with the OP on this one. In general I don't like valets in my personal vehicles and avoid them wherever possible, but now I would never use a valet service. I'm not really skittish or turned off about traveling right now, but that would definitely bother me.

Are you planning to stay on property the entire time or are you planning to need your vehicle during your stay? If you plan to just stay on property, there appears to be a Hertz at the hotel, you could always rent a car and just return it when you arrive and then rent another to go back.

Often1 Jul 23, 2020 1:48 pm

I suspect that the property has made its decision and nothing will change. Either OP changes locations, accepts that he parks off site and thus does not have evening access to his vehicle, or lumps it.

Bradhattan Jul 23, 2020 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 32551880)
of course you can go somewhere else. No question I will probably go to a different property if self parking is not allowed during Covid and I can’t find a good alternative. But I was saying why does one feel the need to email/tell the manager that you are going to take your business elsewhere. Does it feel good to say that? Maybe I’ll try it next time.

Ahhh...thanks for clarifying....i misunderstood your point

HHonors OUTSIDER Jul 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element (Post 32552705)
this is SO completely different. I mean, unless they are going to change the sheets, I mean seats in his car after each other person is going to be in it. You do know they sanitize rooms after each visitor, and they have announced cleaning protocols for rooms. Have they announced sanitizing protocols for cars after valets are in them?

It only takes 1 sneeze from a valet onto the steering wheel when bringing the car to the customer to drive to infect him.

Do you really think most properties are sanitizing rooms and initiating the new cleaning protocols for rooms??

cmd320 Jul 23, 2020 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER (Post 32554216)
Do you really think most properties are sanitizing rooms and initiating the new cleaning protocols for rooms??

Possibly, possibly not. However in a room there is A LOT more air volume and time between others being in the room and you arriving there. Upon arriving at a room it's not difficult to take a few minutes and surface clean the touch points and spray some Lysol around the place on anything you plan to come in contact with. Do that one time and you're done for the stay as long as you don't have anyone else come in the room for the rest of the time.

In a car with a valet you're going to enter the vehicle immediately upon the valet exiting, you're not going to realistically be able to sanitize the car fully and every time you hand it off you'll have to do the same over again. It's a major inconvenience at a brand who's entire purpose is guest convenience and satisfaction.

gengar Jul 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 32551755)
Never really understood why people always resort to “I’m going to take my business elsewhere” as a normal traveler. Does it feel good to say that? I don’t know. Maybe it does. I get it if you are feeding 5-6 figure events and rooms but if I was the hotel, I will say to the normal Joe Traveler, “thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you at a later time.”

I don't get this comment at all (and I've worked in the hospitality industry longer than any other). Management worth anything will want to hear why customers have chosen not to stay especially when it is one single issue that has caused the loss. Management can't fix (or at a minimum, take into consideration) what they don't know, and OP has a concern that's likely shared by many potential guests.

cmd320 Jul 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 32554244)
I don't get this comment at all (and I've worked in the hospitality industry longer than any other). Management worth anything will want to hear why customers have chosen not to stay especially when it is one single issue that has caused the loss. Management can't fix (or at a minimum, take into consideration) what they don't know, and OP has a concern that's likely shared by many potential guests.

Exactly. If any competent manager sees they're losing business due to their own inability to fulfill the guest's needs at a time when hotels are struggling, they'd want to do something about it.

Especially with a request that's very reasonable. OP isn't asking that they be upgraded to the presidential suite in advance as a silver or anything like that.

writerguyfl Jul 23, 2020 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by AlanInDC (Post 32552663)
That's a good point. Also could be that the hotel actually contracts with a company for valet services and that contract requires only valet and no self-park. (same thing but not necessarily union-related).

Or maybe the hotel management thinks they are doing their valet employees a favor by ensuring that they have tips from the few hotel guests they have by requiring valet parking. That's another riff on the employee angle.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32552767)
In some luxury hotels, the valets seem to actively try to park the most impressive guest cars on display near the front entrance and viewable from the street, while the less impressive cars are hidden as soon as possible. This can result in more "unnecessary" movement of vehicles.

Ugh. I hated when our valets did that. "Unnecessary" is the perfect description for that entire process.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 32553145)
There might be insurance restrictions on the general public entering the "secured" parking area.
There may be issues regarding the physical location of the parking lot (i.e., not ADA-compliant, double or triple parked cars, etc.)

Insurance did cross my mind, too. I could understand there being insurance issues with the the hotel garage (a portion can be seen on the right side of the image). But, there's a huge "regular" parking lot right off the main driveway.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b257a84e30.jpg
Source: https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=a156f...=2&form=S00027

That fact leads me to believe that the hotel could easily accommodate this reasonable request. They just don't want to. As you say: take it or leave it.

clarkef Jul 24, 2020 1:38 am

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 32551755)
Never really understood why people always resort to “I’m going to take my business elsewhere” as a normal traveler. Does it feel good to say that? I don’t know. Maybe it does. I get it if you are feeding 5-6 figure events and rooms but if I was the hotel, I will say to the normal Joe Traveler, “thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you at a later time.”

having said that, emailing the concierge for other options is the way to go.

If the business gets a reputation for poor customer service that may negatively affect the business. A good business will consider carefully whether the customer is reasonable and whether the business wants to keep that customer. Further, the business doesn't know who that customer is (might be a tech CEO), who the customer knows (social media, journalist), what's the customer's job, etc.

Kacee Jul 24, 2020 8:55 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 32554729)
there's a huge "regular" parking lot right off the main driveway.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b257a84e30.jpg

That fact leads me to believe that the hotel could easily accommodate this reasonable request. They just don't want to. As you say: take it or leave it.

That would be the clincher for me. Whatever the property's excuse, it is an inappropriate policy, particularly given the COVID surge in Florida, and I would take my business elsewhere.

Originally Posted by clarkef (Post 32555068)
If the business gets a reputation for poor customer service that may negatively affect the business.

Negative online reviews (e.g., T/A) can have a significant impact on business these days. Often, the most effective thing you can do following a bad stay is leave an (honest) negative review on T/A.

myperks Jul 24, 2020 9:09 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 32554244)

Originally Posted by clarkef (Post 32555068)
If the business gets a reputation for poor customer service that may negatively affect the business. A good business will consider carefully whether the customer is reasonable and whether the business wants to keep that customer. Further, the business doesn't know who that customer is (might be a tech CEO), who the customer knows (social media, journalist), what's the customer's job, etc.

telling management about something is wrong on-site is different than telling management about something you know beforehand that you don’t like is two separate things. Does one make a reservation at a resort and then call the hotel and say, “I don’t like your resort fees, please remove or else I take my business elsewhere.” I’m sure people have done this but where has that gone.

telling management about something you know beforehand that you don’t like and saying you will take business elsewhere is too DYKWIA mentality in my mind... I take my business elsewhere and choose a property. It’s not my job to school the property/management.

cmd320 Jul 24, 2020 11:26 am

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 32555773)
telling management about something is wrong on-site is different than telling management about something you know beforehand that you don’t like is two separate things. Does one make a reservation at a resort and then call the hotel and say, “I don’t like your resort fees, please remove or else I take my business elsewhere.” I’m sure people have done this but where has that gone.

telling management about something you know beforehand that you don’t like and saying you will take business elsewhere is too DYKWIA mentality in my mind... I take my business elsewhere and choose a property. It’s not my job to school the property/management.

I guess that's why you don't manage a hotel then.