Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Amex Business Credit Card [General Discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
For new applicants, the 15 elite nights should post within days of receiving the card.

History of sign-up bonus offers for new cardholders below. There may be others not recorded here:
  • ~9/22/2022 100k points on $4k spent. Expires 11/2/2022
  • 7/22/2022 125k points on $4k spent. Expired 8/31/2022
  • 9/2021 125k points + 2 free night certificates (50k)
  • 6/2021 75k points + $150 statement credit
  • 5/2021 100k points + $150 statement credit
  • 10/2020 100k points + $150 statement credit
  • 2/2020 80k points + extra 1x points on up to $30k spent in the 1st year. Also $150 in hotel reimbursement
  • 9/2019 100k points + $100 statement credit
  • 7/2019 95k points
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, United Silver, American Airlines Platinum

I'm currently 14 nights away from hitting/renewing Titanium Elite this year (I hit Titanium Elite last year). Is it worth getting the small business credit card for the 15 elite nights to hit Titanium Elite? I've applied for small business credit cards before and am sure I can get approved. I've read that our status is extended to 2022, so is there a point to hitting 75 nights if my status is extended anyway? I'm thinking it is worth getting the credit card, as the 35k cert + the titanium elite choice is worth well more than the AF. Thoughts?

Other info: I definitely won't be able to hit the 14 nights through travel, and I don't expect to have business travel next year either. Currently have 680K points saved up, and two 50k certificates.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:50 am

I see no benefit of getting a CC or doing a mattress run because based on the articles below you will receive all of your usual benefits. Lifetime annual count, 50 nights and 75 nights gifts. So unless you are looking to racking up bunch of points by receiving your CC sign up bonus then little benefits of getting the CC.

Didn't you get an extension of your status through end of February 2022? I believe Marriott extended everybody's status for an additional year. Additionally, recently they announced that they will deposit 50% elite nights based on your last year status into your account by end of July. I believe you should be set for 2021 either way. However, 2022 most likely will be business as usual and has to be earned in 2021.

Here is an article from Points Guy website regarding extension of benefits: https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...e%20in%202020.

Here is an article about 50% elite night credits from Point Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...edits-posting/

Last edited by agurg; Jul 16, 2020 at 9:57 am
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, United Silver, American Airlines Platinum
Thanks for the reply and to links. To clarify, I was credited my 38 free nights already which means I won't hit 75 nights unless.

Yes, my status was extended to 2022. The cc would be for the 35K point cert + 75 night choice + 75k points for an AF of $125. Seems worth it to me, unless I'm missing something.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:10 pm

The free night certificate only comes in the second year. So it might not make sense to factor it into your decision on the first year.

The 75k bonus requires spending on the card. Depending on your situation, you might get better value spending it elsewhere.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by IndoorCamper
Thanks for the reply and to links. To clarify, I was credited my 38 free nights already which means I won't hit 75 nights unless.

Yes, my status was extended to 2022. The cc would be for the 35K point cert + 75 night choice + 75k points for an AF of $125. Seems worth it to me, unless I'm missing something.
Now, I understand your situation better. Just like, "claimui" stated your free night will not come until the second year. So, still my answer is; it is not worth getting a CC for hitting a Titanium for 2021 when it has already been extended until 2021. So you will gain nothing by applying for this CC.

In another words, you are Titanium until February 2022, hitting 75 nights this year will not achieve anything except another Lifetime Year count notch in your belt and a choice of 75 night gift selection.

However, next year if you are back to traveling again and getting a new CC will help you achieve Titanium you can make the decision then.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The cc would be for the 35K point cert + 75 night choice + 75k points for an AF of $125. Seems worth it to me, unless I'm missing something.​​​​​
Originally Posted by claimui
The free night certificate only comes in the second year. So it might not make sense to factor it into your decision on the first year.

The 75k bonus requires spending on the card. Depending on your situation, you might get better value spending it elsewhere.
Both Chase and AmEx business cards offer 75K bonus points with $3K spend within 3 months, and the same 35K-point free-night certificate upon renewal after one year.

The annual fees are $95 for Chase and $125 for the AmEx business card. Why would anyone select AmEx?
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:06 pm

Only Amex offers the business card, at least for new applicants. The Amex card also has a higher earning rate.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I have never had a business card (I have the old Chase Marriott Visa), but both are showing up on my Marriott app (Android). Thanks for the heads up on the points earning levels.

Edit: I went back to compare the two earning levels, and no longer see the Chase Marriott Business Visa offered. Maybe I misread Boundless for Business? That simplifies the choice.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jul 17, 2020 at 10:32 pm
Old Jul 18, 2020, 12:08 am

I'm currently 14 nights away from hitting/renewing Titanium Elite this year (I hit Titanium Elite last year). Is it worth getting the small business credit card for the 15 elite nights to hit Titanium Elite? I've applied for small business credit cards before and am sure I can get approved. I've read that our status is extended to 2022, so is there a point to hitting 75 nights if my status is extended anyway? I'm thinking it is worth getting the credit card, as the 35k cert + the titanium elite choice is worth well more than the AF. Thoughts?

Other info: I definitely won't be able to hit the 14 nights through travel, and I don't expect to have business travel next year either. Currently have 680K points saved up, and two 50k certificates.
The Credit Card will cost you $125 annual fee upfront and no introductory bonus points available since you already received them previously. Titanium will get you a (1 free night or 5 Suite nights) and a better elite point bonus rate for the $$$ you spend at Marriott. Otherwise, nothing else changes.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
That's what I did - I got Amex business card in addition to my personal Amex card. The increased stay bonus, better chance for room upgrades, and United Silver may be worth the extra cost.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I say yes, if only for the points and the SNAs (if you choose that).
The annual free night might come before your fee is due, I don't remember a clawback. (But that could change even if true).
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by claimui

Good catch, I didn't realize the cert comes into play in the 2nd year.

Originally Posted by agurg
Now, I understand your situation better. Just like, "claimui" stated your free night will not come until the second year. So, still my answer is; it is not worth getting a CC for hitting a Titanium for 2021 when it has already been extended until 2021. So you will gain nothing by applying for this CC.

In another words, you are Titanium until February 2022, hitting 75 nights this year will not achieve anything except another Lifetime Year count notch in your belt and a choice of 75 night gift selection.

However, next year if you are back to traveling again and getting a new CC will help you achieve Titanium you can make the decision then.
My work related travel was been reduced to 0 indefinitely, so I will definitely need the 30 elite nights to even hit platinum in 2021 (to extend past Feb 2022). My concern is losing status before I'm able to use up all my points that I've been able to accumulate due to work. Given the large amount of points I have, I've considered transferring the points to an airlines as well.

Having both CC's next year would only put me 20 nights away from Plat. So if I end up getting the CC anyway, wouldn't it be better to get it this year for the 75 night gift selection? I don't see the benefit of waiting, unless I'm missing something.

Originally Posted by bgasser
The Credit Card will cost you $125 annual fee upfront and no introductory bonus points available since you already received them previously. Titanium will get you a (1 free night or 5 Suite nights) and a better elite point bonus rate for the $$$ you spend at Marriott. Otherwise, nothing else changes.
To clarify, I meant that I had applied for other business cards before so I am familiar with the process and requirements.

Thanks all!
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by agurg

I think a lot depends on how the situation will look next year. At this point, it seems like some resolution of the pandemic may happen not earlier than in a year? This is judging from several canceled medical/dental conferences even as of late March 2021. If so, I'm not sure if Marriott won't extend the status we achieved in 2020 until 2023. So, having more nights (via a card or not) may actually be beneficial. Of course, a lot of this is just speculation.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having both CC's next year would only put me 20 nights away from Plat. So if I end up getting the CC anyway, wouldn't it be better to get it this year for the 75 night gift selection? I don't see the benefit of waiting, unless I'm missing something.
No time like the present! Never put off until tomorrow what one can do today!
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the first time ever, I applied for an AmEx Marriott Business Card. Within 3 days, the 15 Elite Nights posted, pushing me over the top for Titanium Elite — with the help of 25 Head Start to Status nights and 5 nights from my Annual Choice Benefit at the 50-night level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.