Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Fairfield Inn Duluth Waterfront, MN [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold

My family stayed a few weeks ago at the Fairfield Inn Duluth Waterfront. During COVID times, we needed a break from home that was driveable (7 hours from Chicago), had lots outdoors, in an area with low numbers of cases, etc. We looked at a map and decided Duluth was the place, and then looked at the 3 Marriott options and the FI by far seemed like the most interesting.

The Fairfield is just about 2 years old, so it is still very nicely furnished, clean, etc. It is a 3-level structure, typical of any new FFI. The difference is that this FFI is on a pier on Park Point, which is a miles-long sand bar that extends into Duluth's Harbor.

A few notes:
-the entire hotel is surrounded by water views, so if you want a general water view, any room will do and there is no need to pay the slight premium for a "harbor view". However, one (long) side of the hotel (ie half the rooms) faces the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge. While the bridge is cool, paying a premium to face it (which we did) didn't seem worth it to me. The reason is that the hotel is only 3 stories tall, so even if you're in the 3rd floor, your view is generally obstructed (no matter what direction you face) with the masts of the boats parked in the harbor/piers immediately adjacent to the hotel. That being said, there is no negative to getting the harbor view.
-parking is free and the parking immediately next to the hotel (in the "normal" parking lot) is somewhat sufficient unless you come back a little later in the evening. There is an overflow parking area that is packed gravel that is connected to the normal parking lot and really is not inconvenient. We preferred to park in the normal lot but it wasn't a big deal at all to park in the overflow (I suppose that could be a bigger deal if it was pouring out).
-it was a little odd (but turned out totally fine) that immediately behind the hotel (between the hotel and one inner harbor) is a pier that is where RVs park. I believe they also made use of a bathroom at the back of the hotel. It was odd, but was not a problem at all.
-the location within Duluth for a tourist was pretty nice. It was about a 7-minute walk from the hotel entrance to the aerial lift bridge (which has beautiful piers to walk on) and you should definitely do it at least once during your stay (the bridge lifts a couple of times an hour typically and takes about 5 minutes total....if you're lucky you will see one of the mammoth lake vessels pass through, which is an awe-inspiring sight). On just the other side of the bridge is the touristy area of Duluth (Canal Park), with restaurants and shops. The Duluth Lake Walk starts in Canal Park and goes up the edge of Lake Superior northwards. The part of the Lake Walk within Canal Park is being reconstructed (because it was destroyed in several storms in recent years), but after this year it looks like it will be really nice (the part north of Canal Walk is already redone and really nice).
-since the room was relatively new, it was actually pretty nice. We had the larger King + Sofabed and it had two TVs, bathroom was relatively spacious and nice.

Due to COVID restrictions, the hotel was not offering maid service during stays, but sheets and towels were readily and easily available at the front desk. For breakfast, they had grab and go foods/drinks (think Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches you heat in your room microwave, fruit, bars, milks, individually wrapped muffins, etc.). I actually did not mind this at all (particularly since FFI eggs are the worst).

The pool and gym were open, but there were posted signs about limiting the number of people using each. We did not use either but I saw a handful of others do so.

All in all, we'd stay at this FFI again for sure, and the location is pretty good for Duluth. We walked by the Sheraton, which is on what seems to be a major street in the "downtown" area, but that area was actually very desolate. It is very close to Fitger's the brewery, as well as the Portland Malt Shoppe outpost (which kids will love). But, all in all, I'd definitely prefer the FFI.
yyzflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.