Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Parsippany, NJ [Master Thread]

Old Jun 26, 20, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Had a rez at the Sheraton-Parsippany for next weekend to spend the 4th with friends and family. My partner, our family dog, and I. Have stayed there at least a hundred times over the years. It's our home away from home. Love the place. Never even been charged a pet fee.

At precisely 5pm today (Friday), I received an e-mail that my reservation had been cancelled. "Your reservation has been cancelled." No explanation. No number to call.

Tried to call the hotel. Couldn't get a live human. Called Marriott. Waited 17 minutes to get a human. Was told at first the hotel was full and they cancelled my reservation. When I asked them to double-check, they put me on hold, came back a couple minutes later and said the hotel was closed and not accepting reservations until August 1.
I asked if there was anyone who would help me get a nearby hotel to honor the reservation. I was told there was not. So I thanked them, hung up, and went to the Marriott website.

The website helped me find a couple of nearby hotels that accepted dogs, but one charged a $125 non-refundable pet fee, and another said it charged $50 and then, directly under that, said it charged $100 for dogs under 40 pounds. (Hmmm.) And that hotel charged for overnight parking, which the Sheraton Parsippany does not.
And both alternative Marriott corporation flag carrier hotels charged more per room night than my original reservation.

So I called Marriott Bonvoy Gold to ask if they could help get an alternative Marriott hotel to honor my original reservation. A supervisor did her best, called a front desk supervisor at one of the hotels, who said they would not waive the pet fee nor would they waive the parking fee. The Marriott supervisor then told me that Marriott would not help honor the reservation and could not force franchisees to do so simply because they carried the Marriott corporate flag.

So I'm left having to make my own reservation and paying more for the rez, more for our dog, and more for parking to stay 15 miles farther away. We all know there's a pandemic out there and thousands of reservations are being cancelled every day. And some hotels are being forced to shut down, perhaps on short notice. But where does that leave a loyal guest?

Does Marriott have a moral obligation to find me a comparable room at a comparable price less than one week out? Or what should they do in recovery efforts in a case like this?

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jun 27, 20 at 7:07 am Reason: Updated thread title wording for clarity. Otherwise it read as though the reservation was at a hotel called "COB Friday"
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by HomerJay View Post
Had a rez at the Sheraton-Parsippany for next weekend to spend the 4th with friends and family. My partner, our family dog, and I. Have stayed there at least a hundred times over the years. It's our home away from home. Love the place. Never even been charged a pet fee.

At precisely 5pm today (Friday), I received an e-mail that my reservation had been cancelled. "Your reservation has been cancelled." No explanation. No number to call.

Tried to call the hotel. Couldn't get a live human. Called Marriott. Waited 17 minutes to get a human. Was told at first the hotel was full and they cancelled my reservation. When I asked them to double-check, they put me on hold, came back a couple minutes later and said the hotel was closed and not accepting reservations until August 1.
I asked if there was anyone who would help me get a nearby hotel to honor the reservation. I was told there was not. So I thanked them, hung up, and went to the Marriott website.

The website helped me find a couple of nearby hotels that accepted dogs, but one charged a $125 non-refundable pet fee, and another said it charged $50 and then, directly under that, said it charged $100 for dogs under 40 pounds. (Hmmm.) And that hotel charged for overnight parking, which the Sheraton Parsippany does not.
And both alternative Marriott corporation flag carrier hotels charged more per room night than my original reservation.

So I called Marriott Bonvoy Gold to ask if they could help get an alternative Marriott hotel to honor my original reservation. A supervisor did her best, called a front desk supervisor at one of the hotels, who said they would not waive the pet fee nor would they waive the parking fee. The Marriott supervisor then told me that Marriott would not help honor the reservation and could not force franchisees to do so simply because they carried the Marriott corporate flag.

So I'm left having to make my own reservation and paying more for the rez, more for our dog, and more for parking to stay 15 miles farther away. We all know there's a pandemic out there and thousands of reservations are being cancelled every day. And some hotels are being forced to shut down, perhaps on short notice. But where does that leave a loyal guest?

Does Marriott have a moral obligation to find me a comparable room at a comparable price less than one week out? Or what should they do in recovery efforts in a case like this?
Perhaps reach out to one of the Marriott Bonvoy Lurkers to see if they can assist.

David
Old Jun 29, 20, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Have written to Marriott Bonvoy Lurker per your suggestion. Waiting to hear.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: