Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Year Round Living in Marriott Hotels

Old Jun 26, 20, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

I am in the early stages of planning a year long sabbatical of traveling the US and Canada. I am trying to figure out how to get the best value for my travels. I do plan on driving, with no flying.

I am trying to figure out if Marriott Rewards are a better choice than Hotels.com. Can you look over my logic and let me know what you think? Am I crazy with the assumptions I am making?
  • Assumption 1: Every night will be in a hotel.
  • Assumption 2: I will have the Boundless Elite Credit Card with the extra 6x points. Automatically starts me at Silver Level.
  • Assumption 3: Because this will be 365 days, I imagine I will reach Titanium if not Ambassador Elite.
  • Assumption 4: Will be using the figure for $150 per night for my calculations
Points Earned:
75,000 for new credit card

Nightly Points:
  • Base: 1500 Points per night
  • Silver: 1650 Points per Night (10 Nights to Gold = 16,500 total points)
  • Gold: 1875 Points per Night (25 Nights to Platinum = 46,875 total Points)
  • Platinum: 2250 Points per Night (25 Nights to Titanium = 56,250 Total Points
  • Titanium: 2625 Points per Night (58 Nights Ambassador = 152,000 Total Points)
As this point, I have 271,625 Points from the Nights
Plus 75,000 Points from the Credit Card Offer
Plus 6x the Nightly Rate of 150 for 133 days to reach Ambassador = 119,700
Grand Total of 466,325
So, assuming the free nightly room is 40,000 points to redeem, I have 11 Free Nights
Plus the Book 4 Nights, Get 1 Free perk, so I have 13 Free Nights

Now that I have reached Ambassador, its 2625 Points per night for the remaining 232 nights of the year = 609,000 points
Plus the 6x from the credit card = 208,800
This is a Total of 817,800 Points

If you add 817,800 + 466,253 = 1,284,053
Divided by 40,000 = 32 Nights
Plus the Book 4, Get 1 Free = 8 Nights

By my calculations, I could get 40 nights free at a Marriott hotel (making sure to stay at the 10 points per night hotels) in one year.
More when you calculate the additional miles for groceries, gas, and other things.

Do I have my numbers correct? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 26, 20, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Hopefully there will be a promo for even more points.
How does what you calculated compare to hotels.com?
Old Jun 26, 20, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
Hopefully there will be a promo for even more points.
How does what you calculated compare to hotels.com?
With Hotel.com, its a straight up 36 Nights Earned, so the Marriott does seem to come out a head.
But if I have a credit card where I get an extra 3 miles per $1 spent, that does give me an extra $1642.50 dollars, which is almost 11 nights.
So its 47 nights free. (Assuming the Chase Sapphire Prefered). Which puts Hotels.com in the lead.

What kind of promos? Like a better credit card, or ones that get emailed from Marriott (Book now for extra points)?
Old Jun 26, 20, 7:03 pm

A year long sabbatical in Canada & the U.S. staying in a hotel every night? Interesting.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 7:19 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I don't think it will affect your total points by a huge amount, but I believe that it can take a few days for a stay to post and for the nights to be added to your yearly total for status. Mine generally post within 2-3 days, but I think the policy allows hotels 14 days to post. Usually this is fine when folks have a few days off between stays, but that doesn't work in your case. So even though it's only 10 nights to Gold, your Gold status might not be reflected on your account on night 11 (potentially, though unlikely, up to night 24), which lowers your points bonus during those nights.

Potential promos by Marriott (like an extra 2000 points per stay, or double points per night, etc) can help. Some promos are stay-based, while others are night-based. I don't know how flexible your nights will be, if you'll book the whole year at once, or update as you go. Depending on the types of promos Marriott offers this year, you might get more points value by having longer stays at fewer properties, or by having shorter stays at more properties.
Old Jun 26, 20, 7:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR, AS MVPG75K, Covid-19
Originally Posted by PNWCatLady View Post
Assumption 4: Will be using the figure for $150 per night for my calculations
Ah well, the SFBA and Los Angeles are overrated anyway

(... but OTR, be prepared to keep searching well before you expect to be out here, and try the "Discount Codes" thread.)
Old Jun 26, 20, 7:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
There is no doubt that it’s essential to have a cobra died credit card and focus only on one Hotel group to maximize points.

I would focus on Hilton personally as I think their program would provide more benefits for so many nights, but that might be my Hilton bias. But whatever you choose, getting the credit card and focusing on that hotel group is definitely the way to go.
VickiSoCal likes this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
For me the issue would be having to stay in Marriotts when they may not be the best alternative. Other than that:

Have you done the math to see whether the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card would be more worthwhile?

$450 fee but $300 credit for stays at Marriotts so net $150. Gives gold status, and a better free night certificate, plus either 250 or 500 points per stay. And a small hope of an upgrade. Also, the extra point (3x) on restaurant spend (although there are better cards for restaurant spend like Amex Gold) If you spend 60k (your 365 days x $150) you get a free night.

Another if you take out the Amex Bonvoy business, you can get 30 nights, 15 from the card you have and 15 from the amex business bonvoy card ($125 fee). Then in 20 nights you will have Platinum status which is free breakfast.

Eligibility for the welcome bonus on the biz card is tight though (can get the card, but perhaps not the bonus based on the following). From the application:
Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Rewards Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BoldTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new Card Member bonus offer in the last 24 months on the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BoldTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase.

I think it may be a close call on the Bonvoy Brilliant vs. Boundless since you would get to Gold so quickly, but the personal plus business card seems like a worthwhile deal because of starting at Gold and only 20 nights to Plat and 4x spend on gas and restaurants and wireless cell phone providers.
obunewbie17 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post
There is no doubt that its essential to have a cobra died credit card and focus only on one Hotel group to maximize points.

I would focus on Hilton personally as I think their program would provide more benefits for so many nights, but that might be my Hilton bias. But whatever you choose, getting the credit card and focusing on that hotel group is definitely the way to go.
I like Marriott over Hilton at the lower end (Courtyard vs. HGI) but the Hilton Aspire card is the best cobranded hotel card there, $450 with a free night, free diamond status (top tier), $250 resort credit and $200 airline credit (hard to use these days).
lsquare and bitterproffit like this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
For me the issue would be having to stay in Marriotts when they may not be the best alternative. Other than that:

Have you done the math to see whether the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card would be more worthwhile?

$450 fee but $300 credit for stays at Marriotts so net $150. Gives gold status, and a better free night certificate, plus either 250 or 500 points per stay. And a small hope of an upgrade. Also, the extra point (3x) on restaurant spend (although there are better cards for restaurant spend like Amex Gold) If you spend 60k (your 365 days x $150) you get a free night.

Another if you take out the Amex Bonvoy business, you can get 30 nights, 15 from the card you have and 15 from the amex business bonvoy card ($125 fee). Then in 20 nights you will have Platinum status which is free breakfast.

I think it may be a close call on the Bonvoy Brilliant vs. Boundless since you would get to Gold so quickly, but the personal plus business card seems like a worthwhile deal because of starting at Gold and only 20 nights to Plat and 4x spend on gas and restaurants and wireless cell phone providers.
Good call on the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card. Looks like I would earn enough points for an extra night, plus the 1 night from from the card.
I'll go run the numbers for the Hilton Card as well.
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PNWCatLady Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by PNWCatLady View Post
I am in the early stages of planning a year long sabbatical of traveling the US and Canada. I am trying to figure out how to get the best value for my travels. I do plan on driving, with no flying.
<snip>
By my calculations, I could get 40 nights free at a Marriott hotel (making sure to stay at the 10 points per night hotels) in one year.
More when you calculate the additional miles for groceries, gas, and other things.!
Originally Posted by Bravada04 View Post
A year long sabbatical in Canada & the U.S. staying in a hotel every night? Interesting.
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
For me the issue would be having to stay in Marriotts when they may not be the best alternative. .....
Indeed worth considering other chains/brands or several chain/brands and/or AirNB or equal and comparing total cash out lay vs " free " nights. One chain/brand may not have best properties for location and.or cost
OP mentions 'groceries" so may be wanting to home prepare meals at times. That may limit properties.
Over the decades I have spent periods of 10 months - 6 months - 3 months on the road. Sometimes you need to stop moving an rest for a month somewhere
Old Jun 26, 20, 11:31 pm

If you dont need to be in downtown areas just get a small RV. You'll see much more have flexibility of keeping your own pace and you wont have to pack/unpack and worry constantly about finding food...
DesertNomad and ACCDraw like this.
Old Jun 27, 20, 12:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
You should not be committed to any chain. You should commit to promotion
hedoman likes this.
Old Jun 27, 20, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - don't forget, if you can maintain as at least a Silver Elite for the next 5 years, the nights you will stay is sufficient enough for a Lifetime Silver Elite. Or maybe Gold if further criteria are met.

Originally Posted by Bravada04 View Post
OP will not be the record holder, as the longest-ever Marriott guest/resident lived in a Marriott property for more than a decade.

Beside - some people do really need to stay that many nights as they are working all over the places.
Old Jun 27, 20, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
A Marriott room every night for a year? Wow, I would look into Airbnb for a bit of variety.
ACCDraw likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: