Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Year Round Living in Marriott Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Year Round Living in Marriott Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:26 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't think suspense is a requirement...
Wait and see . . .

I'd suggest booking direct. If I've learned one thing from COVID (other than that some folks just reject science) it is that booking anything thru a 3rd party adds a layer of uncertainty and difficulty in trying to change or cancel a reservation.

A quick visit to TripAdvisor on their general travel forums (Bargain/Holiday/Air) you will see 90% of posts are complaining about third party and online agencies. Hotels.com doesn't come up often, but does come up as occasionally being difficult to get in touch with when properties close or plans change and you need to alter your arrangements
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I can't believe nobody has suggested reading Stephen & Shae's blog! https://nohomejustroam.com They are on a 5 year road trip across America like the one you are planning. Stephen is brilliant at getting the best value out of points programs. They use credit card rewards, promos, BRGs, etc. and he always seems to find a fantastic point redemption rate OR a great cash rate. They use multiple programs: Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG and more. Can you tell I'm a fan? I just think their blog is really fun and informative.
PNWCatLady likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by PNWCatLady
What are status challenges? I've been trying to find info, but my google skills are failing me on that one.
See this thread for more information on status challenges, it would be a very good idea in your situation as it will skip you to the top tiers (and more points earning) more quickly: "Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Based on what you've posted, it is worth noting one other thing - that experienced "road warriors" will often stay only a single night at a hotel and move between them... as most chains offer a welcome bonus, hence you could actually make (once you are already Platinum/Titanium) 500-1000 points per a stay as a welcome gift that you didn't calculate, but obviously over 350 nights that can be a huge chunk of points. It does create a lot of moving about that may not appeal of course as that is extra stress. Many hotel bonus campaigns are also based, to varying degrees, on the number of stays, hence if you spend 20 nights in a single hotel you may earn far fewer points than 20 nights in 20 hotels (or even 20 nights in two hotels, shuttling between them), gone are the days when Marriott's average bonus was "stay 25 nights in 3 months and get a bonus 50k points"... With pets, and a potential cleaning fee per visit this may make even less sense. I also have a view that if staying for one night you are more likely to get an upgrade than if staying for 20 (as there may be one busy night in those 20 that means they will reserve the suite, whereas with one night the hotel knows at check-in whether it would be used or not).. but that isn't scientific.

Other things to be aware of / consider:
  • Status perks like upgrades *may* be less likely if staying with pets as fewer rooms will likely be tagged as pet suitable, things like the lounge and breakfast will of course be unaffected.
  • Hilton points are not equivalent to Marriott points and hence you aren't as likely to find hotels in the 40k point category... I'll avoid going off topic, but do be aware (google says that Hilton points are quoted at 0.5c and Marriott at 0.8c, which seems about right for me). Of course in either programme you can earn outsized value, hence the suggestion to have multiple accounts, so you can earn/burn depending on the per city pricing
  • You ask about "two months at Marriott, two at Hilton etc"... generally the implication was to mix on a per night basis. Clearly once you have status at one chain it is more tempting to stay there... but sometimes a city may have the Marriott that is twice the price of Hilton, at that point you would switch chains (and ideally be top status in both to maximise points/earnings)
PNWCatLady likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Being a cat person myself, I still want to know more about the cats...how many do you have?....do they like to ride in the car? - they hated it since it always terminated in either the boarder (bad) or the vet (VERY bad) - when we moved to a different state the one we had at the time screamed her lungs out the whole way, wouldn't use the makeshift portable litter box we fashioned for her, powered right through the herbal/floral supplement we tried to calm her (yeah, right)...I hope they have experience with their new, very scary adventure.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Being a cat person myself, I still want to know more about the cats...how many do you have?....do they like to ride in the car? - they hated it since it always terminated in either the boarder (bad) or the vet (VERY bad) - when we moved to a different state the one we had at the time screamed her lungs out the whole way, wouldn't use the makeshift portable litter box we fashioned for her, powered right through the herbal/floral supplement we tried to calm her (yeah, right)...I hope they have experience with their new, very scary adventure.
I have two cats - Kodiak is a 2 year old male DLH and Octavia is a 7 year old female DSH. They have been on car trips before, and have done just fine. They have also moved a few times and handled it very well. I would be purchasing a travel kennel for my backseat (Jeep Compass) that would be locked in with seat belts. I do have experience with cats on trips (not these two but my previous cats travelled 4 hours most weekends while I was in college). Knowing I was traveling with cats, I would limit my drive time between locations to 4-5 hours. I would also start doing mini drives with them when it got closer to leaving, so they could get used to the kennel and see that the car trip doesn't end with a vet visit. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on Kodiak and Octavia, and doing everything possible to make sure they are comfortable and happy.

Ultimately, if it turns out that traveling with the cats doesn't pan out, I do have plans on how to get back into stationary life, and I realize that might happen. But I really do think they will be okay.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:23 pm

I really wish you all the best. Another hint for staying in hotels...make SURE they honor the DND sign, ours was an escape artist and always tried to get out (to see if there was food out there somewhere, she was a little tubby).
cawhite, ACCDraw and PNWCatLady like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it'll be a hell of a ride for sure. Combine GC 20% discount with cashback and BRG and hopefully some nice post-COVID bonus points. Should be a blast!
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:54 pm

How about making it little more interesting or challenging.....daily mattress run
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Great thread...... what FT is all about.

My advice.....keep your friggin cats away from me. I didn't know hotels welcomed them. It's bad enough some hotels are running dog kennels in rooms intended for humans.

Points analysis is fine and like the idea of longer stays. As noted, consider intangibles beyond points. Exclusive to one program is going to set you up for major disappointment. It's good to have looked at third party booking sites.....and better to skip them as a regular supplier.

RV's or whatever. How many hotel rooms can you stay in for $150,000? Using your analysis.....at least three full years. It's a lifestyle choice, best suited for the mechanically inclined.

Let us know when you begin the trip blog. Have fun!
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Logical Question: Why not Hilton Aspire card?

With Hotel.com, its a straight up 36 Nights Earned, so the Marriott does seem to come out a head.
But if I have a credit card where I get an extra 3 miles per $1 spent, that does give me an extra $1642.50 dollars, which is almost 11 nights.
So its 47 nights free. (Assuming the Chase Sapphire Prefered). Which puts Hotels.com in the lead.

What kind of promos? Like a better credit card, or ones that get emailed from Marriott (Book now for extra points)?
If you got the Amex Hilton Aspire card, you would get Hilton Diamond Status day one, thus giving you much better earnings, and benefits.

The Hilton Diamond benefit alone would be worth thousands, over a full year. Actually buying Royal Ambassador with Intercontinental would be lucrative as well, with unlimited comped in-room beverages. Add to this, top status at Holiday Inn & Crown Plaza, this could get you far more for your money.

I am saying this, as a non-Marriott guy; so take why thoughts for what they are worth, a different perspective.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
If you got the Amex Hilton Aspire card, you would get Hilton Diamond Status day one, thus giving you much better earnings, and benefits.

The Hilton Diamond benefit alone would be worth thousands, over a full year. Actually buying Royal Ambassador with Intercontinental would be lucrative as well, with unlimited comped in-room beverages. Add to this, top status at Holiday Inn & Crown Plaza, this could get you far more for your money.

I am saying this, as a non-Marriott guy; so take why thoughts for what they are worth, a different perspective.
The problem with using the Hilton Aspire card for her particular trip, driving and staying at lower end hotels, is that she most likely would never use either the $250 resort credit or the $250 airline credit, hard to justify the $450 AF not using those perks. I think the Ascend card with only a $95 annual fee, free room after $15K spend, and automatic Gold Status might suit her needs better. That and a Marriott card for her Marriott stays, a free night automatically every year.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
With Hotel.com, its a straight up 36 Nights Earned,
Firstly, a warm welcome to FT!

Now,
I think there might be flaw in the logic comparing these "free nights" earned. I am not familiar with hotels.com but what I understand is the redemption night is equal or lesser than stayed nights, and you noted $150 night so we're talking middle of the road properties. However, for your Marriott nights you mentioned 40k points in your computation, and for that amount of points you can get some real nice properties sure not St Regis but lots of nice options; for example I recently booked an oceanfront Sheraton in Kauai for 30k which goes for well over $200 nightly ( also don't forget the 5th night free, so really brings that down to 24k per night ). So I think to be fair you might want to adjust your maths from 40k down to maybe 25 or even 20 in the computation to have a more balanced comparison. This basically doubles the Marriott free nights....

I do agree with the comments others have noted about also using another hotel programs for markets when Marriott is not the best value or locations where none are available. Personally, I don't find that Hilton has very good value on reward nights, so I use IHG as my backup and their holiday express is often my preference in rural travels which is where I find other hotel chains lack. The IHG currently has a CC deal of 140k bonus points, which translates to about 7 to 5 nights if staying at decent properties ( kimpton or indigo for example ) or well over 10 if consider cheaper properties ( such as the holiday in express or staybridge )
​​​​

And, last but not least don't forget to discount for the free breakfast along with 4pm check out once earn platinum for your Marriott stays. At some of the nicer properties those free breakfasts can be quite nice. I would value them at maybe $20 and I'm not sure if the hotels.com rate includes breakfast? For me the 4pm checkout is priceless when doing quick one night road trip type stays as I prefer to drive later into the night often arrive after midnight so that late check-out is great! And, that's the one big piece of "unsolicited advice" I would throw in here is to really take a step back and think about the experience think about what you like what things would make you happy. As at the end of the day you'll be the one doing this journey you'll be the one living it. Sure it is possible to figure out the cheapest route in abstract sense, but then there is also the personal value to consider. For example, would you rather have a million Marriott points or a million IHG points? Namely, which brand of hotel do you prefer is it funky ones like the newer alofts or do you prefer more rural locations like holiday express or are you dreaming of luxury stays at St Regis etc etc. Don't underestimate that part of the choice... For me personally I know it's the 4pm checkout so I focus on Marriott

Enjoy : )))

Last edited by somedudefromFLa; Jul 1, 2020 at 12:35 pm
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:25 am

Another vote here for going with multiple programs, at least add Hilton and IHG for the number of properties available. In case you were unaware, two of the IHG chains, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites, provide free laundry. I prefer Staybridge (which also often has a free evening meal some nights) and admit to having never yet stayed in a Candlewood (but have friends who have been quite satisfied with them). You will no doubt be doing laundry on the road, and this is a minor perk every week or two to save on the coin-operated versions in other brands.

Our friends who have stayed at Candlewood also travel with a cat, so at least some Candlewoods allow them.

First off, the cats are going with me. I know that adds some challenges and lowers the number of hotels that I can stay in. But I think we will all be okay, knowing my cats. They are happy with me wherever that happens to be.

As for travelling in an RV, I have been exploring that avenue as well. When you add in the cost of RV depreciation, buying a new tow vehicle, nightly campground fees, diesel gas at 8pmg, additional insurance, the inevitable repairs, and what I could earn if the RV was money was invested instead of tied up in an RV, it's actually pretty much on par with staying with in Hotels. So really it comes down to do I want my own mobile space with a lot of maintenance or boring hotel rooms with no maintenance.

I will be starting from Seattle and I want to hit Yellowstone, Maine, Salem Mass, Cape Cod, Myrtle Beach, DIsney World, Florida Keys, New Orleans, Grand Canyon, Lake Tahoe, and more. I plan to stay 2-4 Weeks at each location, but am flexible to staying longer if a place is super awesome.
Not to get OT, but I wouldn't completely shelve the RV idea. However, look into a Class B motorhome (van conversion) - no towing. My husband and I bought a Winnebago Travato on a Ram ProMaster (gas engine) chassis and use it as a daily driver as well as to travel, with hotel stops as desired. It fits in a standard parking space, so we can pull into any hotel, shop, scenic viewpoint, etc. as a car.

Plus we have our own food with us (fridge, stove, microwave), fresh water, bathroom, etc. We used to take solely driving / hotel trips in cars, but love the flexibility of not having to find a hotel all the time, not having to eat out three times a day (or rely on snacks, a cooler with ice, the same hotel breakfast everywhere). You do not necessarily need campgrounds and some of your locations will be tough (and expensive) to find hotels unless you plan well in advance. We get close to 20 mpg (gas, not diesel) on the highway and over 15 mpg in city driving, and our rig from new cost us little more than a luxury vehicle (we were considering a Lexus, Cadillac or similar for comfortable driving trips). It also would provide more space for the cats, litter box, food - we have friends who travel with a cat who loves it.

We have visited most of your list multiple times with both a car that required hotels and with the B-van and really enjoy having the B-van. There is nothing like stopping at the top of Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier National park to brew a cup of coffee and make breakfast, or stop mid-day beside Yellowstone Lake to make lunch and relax, or even just to pull into a rest area for a short nap when tired or to wait for rush hour traffic to clear.

We still stay at hotels as desired, but just don't have to do so every single night, especially when we are just getting from one destination to another quickly, or when the location warrants it. It actually makes those hotel stays more enjoyable as well (long showers, laundry) and less repetitive.

With that said, you do have to be a bit handy as mentioned by another poster. I travel with my husband who can resolve almost any issue that arises. I would not be that person if I was on my own, but we participate in a FB group with many single women who travel on their own, so it all depends on your personality and comfort level.

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure!
ehallison and margarita girl like this.

Last edited by SusanDK; Jul 1, 2020 at 10:35 am
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
So Susan, have you joined the 1/50 club? It's a pretty exclusive club made up of wives that do not want to strangle their husband while on an extended road trip.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman
So Susan, have you joined the 1/50 club? It's a pretty exclusive club made up of wives that do not want to strangle their husband while on an extended road trip.
I do believe I would qualify for that club, We actually do quite well together nearly 24/7. He probably wants to strangle me more frequently than I want to strangle him, but so far, so good. We are currently in week 6 of a cross-country trip which will continue at least another two weeks if not longer. With COVID, we are more self-isolated and 'together' than normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.