Search

Cancellation Waiver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:48 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Cancellation Waiver

Hi

I would like to book a very good rate at the Ritz Carlton Langkawi which is a non-refundable rate per rate description. I asked the hotel if it might be possible to get the rate as a flexible reservation but they refused. I found out that Marriott has a Cancellation Waiver which says for new reservations:
  • For guests making new reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates, between today and July 5, 2020, we will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.* Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
Does anybody has an idea if it possible to book the non-refundable rate (the rate description says it is not refundable) but cancel it if I will not be able to go to Langkawi as per the current Cancellation Waiver?

Thank you.

Best regards
Enskie
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It should be freely cancellable per the Marriott policy, but there is a risk that the property will not adhere to Marriott's rules, and reports are that Marriott will do nothing to help you if that happens, leaving a chargeback as your only viable remedy.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Enskie
Hi

I would like to book a very good rate at the Ritz Carlton Langkawi which is a non-refundable rate per rate description. I asked the hotel if it might be possible to get the rate as a flexible reservation but they refused. I found out that Marriott has a Cancellation Waiver which says for new reservations:
  • For guests making new reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates, between today and July 5, 2020, we will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.* Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
Does anybody has an idea if it possible to book the non-refundable rate (the rate description says it is not refundable) but cancel it if I will not be able to go to Langkawi as per the current Cancellation Waiver?

Thank you.

Best regards
Enskie
Unfortunately, there is an exception in Marriott's policy that is pretty open-ended and specifically refers to the "Rate Details", so if a property is refusing and the "Rate Details" showing up in your booking show non-refundable I would not take the chance. I've copied the exception below which is only meant to apply to special events and peak demand weeks, but many properties seems to have retained their normal cancellation policies for the entire year. So the flexible cancellation policy made for good headlines, but does not appear to override the actual cancellation terms of any future booking. If the regular rates for that time period are fully cancellable, it seems like the prepaid rates should be as well since they aren't claiming a special event or peak demand week exception that would presumably apply to all rates, but I don't think you'll get any assistance from Marriott if the property says no. So I wouldn't risk it.

There were several threads started on this topic trying to make people aware of the policy and asking for clarification , since I think many people have just assumed all their reservations will be cancelable within 24-hours. You probably missed them because they were all consolidated into the giant COVID thread, but there is some additional discussions in that thread that may be helpful.

*Some exclusions may apply. May exclude periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks. Please refer to the property’s Rate Details for applicable terms or exceptions, if any, when booking or changing reservations.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
I see a couple of good non-refundable rates for Christmas for other destinations like Bali and have been tempted to book but decided not to as there are too many reports of Marriott not stepping in to help. Their loss I guess...
Old Jun 20, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
I see a couple of good non-refundable rates for Christmas for other destinations like Bali and have been tempted to book but decided not to as there are too many reports of Marriott not stepping in to help. Their loss I guess...
What does the rate details for the property say? I am looking at a Bali Property over Christmas; Dec 20th - December 1st. It specifically states that it is a pre-paid rate which is not refundable if cancelled less than 1 day before arrival.

James
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
What does the rate details for the property say? I am looking at a Bali Property over Christmas; Dec 20th - December 1st. It specifically states that it is a pre-paid rate which is not refundable if cancelled less than 1 day before arrival.

James
I was looking at the LRR promo rate. Refundable up to a day up after booking. Was hoping the corp Marriott COVID policy of allowing cancellation even on non-refundable rates to override but not hopeful.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was looking at the LRR promo rate. Refundable up to a day up after booking. Was hoping the corp Marriott COVID policy of allowing cancellation even on non-refundable rates to override but not hopeful.
While the policy should apply, I would also be hesitant.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:35 am

These rates (under LRR) as well as rates under BOG promo code indeed aren't refundable. I checked with numerous properties on Bali and they refered to the "Some exclusions may apply" part of the corporate cancellation policy. So make sure to check the rate details on booking.
FQ415 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
While the policy should apply, I would also be hesitant.
Originally Posted by HJBoeing
These rates (under LRR) as well as rates under BOG promo code indeed aren't refundable. I checked with numerous properties on Bali and they refered to the "Some exclusions may apply" part of the corporate cancellation policy. So make sure to check the rate details on booking.
Thanks! Yup, won't do any speculative booking and wait till closer to the dates and if the situation are still similar to what we have now, I'm sure won't be hard to find something similar albeit maybe not at a Marriott...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.