Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

More Benefits for Ambassadors and Titaniums By Devaluing Platinum Benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More Benefits for Ambassadors and Titaniums By Devaluing Platinum Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Thoughts? Thankfully my real benefits are better than your imaginary ones. Let's keep it that way.
Yes, I’m proposing removing platinum “real” benefit of lounge access (change to club lounge certs) in exchange for some guaranteed benefits such as full breakfast and guaranteed SNA application and Your24 for others.

I guess it really depends on what status you are at.

Last edited by myperks; Jun 16, 2020 at 1:56 pm
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by myperks
More like hyatt Explorist but at a 50 night level with the club certificates instead of unlimited lounge access. LTPs will get a set every year.
I stand corrected the correct comparison should be with Explorist, I still fail to see what business incentives would drive MAR to install a mid-tier at 50 night in the middle of a the worst business recession for the travel industry I understand that Tit. and Amb. would be delighted but otherwise...

​​​​
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Would you rather see increased Ambassador and Titanium benefits in exchange for decreased Platinum benefits?

Ambassadors will get :
-guaranteed Your24,
-guaranteed suite upgrade at the time of applying SNAs (including getting more SNAs at Amb level),
-ambassador annual gift of some sort
-guaranteed full breakfast (not including MVC, RC, Design hotels)
-lounge access
-100% bonus

Titaniums will get the same as now plus amenity choice of full breakfast (not including MVC, RC, Design hotels) and maybe more milestone gifts before reaching $20k.

Platinums will no longer get automatic lounge access. Instead get 5 annual certs of up to 5 nights (similar to Hyatt club upgrade certificates), 2pm checkout instead of 4pm. Upgrades don’t include standard suites unless you use SNA. Also get amenity gift of full breakfast (not including, MVC, RC, Design hotels) (which soften the blow on lounge)

this way Marriott is incentivizing more nights and spend and less lounge crowding (if there even will be a lounge after Covid). Those that are calling quits are calling quits anyways and the biggest loser will be LTPs.

Low chance Marriott will increase benefits in one level without striping from another.

thoughts?
Yeah, no.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah, no.
Says the Plats and LTPs
but the Amb and Tits might beg to differ.

not saying it’s going to happen, the chances of devaluation is real and I’m thinking Platsay get cut first. And this year is shot anyways, might as well make controversial changes (again depends of what level you picture yourself in) like United for partner PQP and partner awards.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Says the Plats and LTPs

not saying it’s going to happen, the chances of devaluation is real and I’m thinking Platsay get cut first. And this year is shot anyways, might as well make controversial changes (again depends of what level you picture yourself in) like United for partner PQP and partner awards.
As a non-LT Plat and current Titanium, my answer is still, yeah no.

I already get a full breakfast on virtually every stay so I don't really get the benefit of that. Couldn't care less about the stupid milestone gifts or whatever.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Says the Plats and LTPs

At the moment MAR needs to maintain liquidity to avoid insolvency. That is a) cut costs both fixed and variable b) raise cash e.g in the corporate bond market or for instance via selling MB points.
Why would cutting benefits in any significant way contribute to avoiding insolvency? If you cut various benefits yes you will reduce costs but a majority of the cost associated with handing out benefits is tied to the number of guests staying at hotels, i.e. many guests with a certain elite tier incur cost for MAR or alternatively the hotel companies complain that they need to hand out too many free benefits which they otherwise could have charged for..
Now currently that does not seem to be the problem, the problem no guests at all, i.e. no revenue.=> reduced liquidity =>increased risk for insolvency
If the hospitality industry come out of the recession slowly (logarithmic trend) I think it is more likely that there will be added benefits across tiers in a chase for revenue and increased occupation rates for the next earnings call. In time when times are better MAR will of course roll back these (and then some) under some excuse of improved service. ... but that is not on the cards now ....you probably in for a long wait for the 50 night mid-tier vision to materialize
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by X-ON; Jun 16, 2020 at 5:06 pm
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by X-ON
At the moment MAR needs to maintain liquidity to avoid insolvency. That is a) cut costs both fixed and variable b) raise cash e.g in the corporate bond market or for instance via selling MB points.
Why would cutting benefits in any significant way contribute to avoiding insolvency? If you cut various benefits yes you will reduce costs but a majority of the cost associated with handing out benefits is tied to the number of guests staying at hotels, i.e. many guests with a certain elite tier incur cost for MAR or alternatively the hotel companies complain that they need to hand out too many free benefits which they otherwise could have charged for..
Now currently that does not seem to be the problem, the problem no guests at all, i.e. no revenue.=> reduced liquidity =>increased risk for insolvency
If the hospitality industry come out of the recession slowly (logarithmic trend) I think it is more likely that there will be added benefits across tiers in a chase for revenue and increased occupation rates for the next earnings call. In time when times are better MAR will of course roll back these under some excuse of improved service. ... but that is not on the cards now ....
all fair points and considering there is a temporary suspension of some benefits and historically some benefits not honored anyways.

having said that, what i put in the original post will be liked by some, hated by most...
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am titanium at Marriott, gold at Hilton and platinum at IHG. I think it’s prudent for all three chains to give free breakfast and lounge access to everyone holding these 3 levels and above. Those levels below this range should receive a thank you note from the manager and nothing else. This is to help cut costs during the pandemic.

I am also platinum on Delta, MVP Gold on Alaska, Gold on United and Gold on America. I believe these are the right levels where free upgrades, lounge access and free food and drinks in flight make sense. Everything below these respective levels should be entitled to use the elite check in line as this doesn’t really add much cost, but no on board benefits should be offered to levels below my own. It’s a pandemic after all and airlines need to look at their costs, they need to focus only on treating their best customers right. Best customers begin at my levels.
margarita girl and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Well, they need hotel stays sure, but I absolutely prioritised Marriott over other chains (which is for almost everyone what 100 nights a year must be) in return for benefits. Why else do it?
I would guess most ambassadors are LTs so dont need the nights ?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I’m not in favor of reducing the plat benefits but I do think Marriott needs to do more for tits and ambo elites

frankly I don’t care how many people get free breakfast, I do care who gets upgrades and marriot does a poor job of upgrades for elites. I’m especially peeved how some hotels blatantly disregard upgrades and Marriott does nothing to stop them
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I am titanium at Marriott, gold at Hilton and platinum at IHG. I think it’s prudent for all three chains to give free breakfast and lounge access to everyone holding these 3 levels and above. Those levels below this range should receive a thank you note from the manager and nothing else. This is to help cut costs during the pandemic.

I am also platinum on Delta, MVP Gold on Alaska, Gold on United and Gold on America. I believe these are the right levels where free upgrades, lounge access and free food and drinks in flight make sense. Everything below these respective levels should be entitled to use the elite check in line as this doesn’t really add much cost, but no on board benefits should be offered to levels below my own. It’s a pandemic after all and airlines need to look at their costs, they need to focus only on treating their best customers right. Best customers begin at my levels.
Or some may feel, one level above. A very FT reply, I think we need to understand that if we are all to benefit long term, we ALL have to give up quite a lot short term. This is going to take years for the hotel and transportation industries to recover from and get back to something like we were all used to.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
so many dislikes means that it may actually be what Marriott is looking for . No Bonvoyed this time?

More like hyatt Explorist but at a 50 night level with the club certificates instead of unlimited lounge access. LTPs will get a set every year.

now you know how I feel when I see posts on “let’s move to another chain”

Guaranteeing Your24 with say 48-72 hour notice allow the hotels assign rooms based on the request. Restrictions can be in place to say only standard rooms qualify and upgrades or late checkout does not apply. As for guaranteeing upgrades, I‘m only suggesting that ambassadors can get guaranteed upgrades using SNAs say if done at least 5 days before (or else it goes into the general queue with Plats and Tits).

at the end of the day, I don’t see Marriott increasing benefits for all levels. Might as well suggest increasing benefits for top level and levels that cannot be reached via Lifetime status (unless grandfathered LTT) to make members stay more.
I don't always book more than a couple days in advance and when I've used Your24, I'm very aware that you need do this after a SNA upgrade is confirmed.

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Overall not sure there is much to add to this thread as its been asked so many times.

I for one as an Ambassador Guests and thus falling into the category of I spend a lot with Marriott and do more nights than Titanium members etc would like to see my SNA's start to try and clear maybe 7 or 10 night before the stay rather than the 5, thus increases my chances rather than increasing the pool of SNA's actually out there which Marriott doesn't wish to do as hotels dislike them immensely.

Obvious this will never happen even if Marriott would like to as Marriott IT can't cope with simple things, let along SNA's with different clearing types. Equally I believe these days it's far less automatic and far more down to whatever the revenue manager at each hotel feels like.. I digress thats a whole different issue!
As an AMB, why should I lose upgrades to those who book more than 7 or 10 days in advance?

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
I’m not in favor of reducing the plat benefits but I do think Marriott needs to do more for tits and ambo elites

frankly I don’t care how many people get free breakfast, I do care who gets upgrades and marriot does a poor job of upgrades for elites. I’m especially peeved how some hotels blatantly disregard upgrades and Marriott does nothing to stop them
This has always been a problem with Marriott, from long before the merger, and even for their unpublished invite only PP tier (which had zero real benefits beyond the annual gift and a different colored card).
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:41 pm

Anyone know approximately how many Ambassador status does Marriott have?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Many use rooms to sleep, and don't care about upgrades.

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
I don’t care how many people get free breakfast, I do care who gets upgrades and marriot does a poor job of upgrades for elites. I’m especially peeved how some hotels blatantly disregard upgrades and Marriott does nothing to stop them
I don't care a whit about upgrades because I use my rooms mainly for sleeping.

For many of us, elite status is primarily about lounge access and free breakfasts.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Agree with adding benefits for Ambassadors as current (pre Covid) ambassador service is not very effective. And also Your24 benefit is pretty much more miss than hit.

However, I dont see Bonvoy need to reduce other tier benefit to improve ambassador benefit.
In fact I believe Bonvoy need to push the properties more to honour the program t&c.
SPN Lifer, MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.