Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Two Program Enhancements Announced 15 Jun : Pointsavers and Head Start on Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Program Enhancements Announced 15 Jun : Pointsavers and Head Start on Status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:20 pm

If these 38 nights are lifetime, that puts me over the threshold to Lifetime Platinum. A little anti-climactic and I had hoped to do it on a nice stay in person, but I certainly won't say no... good effort by Marriott here. They'll never come up with something that serves everyone perfect, but I feel a bit more loyal today than I did yesterday...
SPN Lifer, lsquare and anteater like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well I just looked in a few places for points in July and it was at normal rates...
The extra nights just help me to hit both the 50 and 75 nt thresholds. Nothing really spectacular but at least its something.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:25 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
If Bonvoy would reverse the 50% credit so that the $20k Ambassador spend is only $10,000 I’d be grabbing a calculator and my calendar as travel planning would suddenly become interesting (and I’d probably be lamenting 22 Hilton nights so far this year).
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:28 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for this thread, I auto-archived the actual email from Marriott (along with other airline and hotel emails) without reading it, so pleasantly surprised to see this!
As a more recent titanium who's only at lifetime silver, I'm very happy with the 38 extra nights! With my travel severely limited this year, I wasn't counting on any new nights to add to my LT total beyond my stays near the beginning of the year.

I'm also not sure that this will add tons of members to higher elite levels as people seem to fear. Anyone who earned Platinum or higher in 2019 already retains it through Feb 2022. So it seems to be folks concerned about people who earned Gold or less last year who might achieve Platinum - sure some will be helped by this promo, but I don't think we'll see a huge ballooning in ranks. Plus, right now it's not like the elite benefits are as worthy as they used to be.

Anyways, a pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting, in what seems like a pro-customer move by Marriott
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
I am Ambassador with 65 nights for 2020 and LTT already. Dont think this really helps me - if anyone knows how it does, please let me know.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ryw
Thanks for this thread, I auto-archived the actual email from Marriott (along with other airline and hotel emails) without reading it, so pleasantly surprised to see this!
As a more recent titanium who's only at lifetime silver, I'm very happy with the 38 extra nights! With my travel severely limited this year, I wasn't counting on any new nights to add to my LT total beyond my stays near the beginning of the year.

I'm also not sure that this will add tons of members to higher elite levels as people seem to fear. Anyone who earned Platinum or higher in 2019 already retains it through Feb 2022. So it seems to be folks concerned about people who earned Gold or less last year who might achieve Platinum - sure some will be helped by this promo, but I don't think we'll see a huge ballooning in ranks. Plus, right now it's not like the elite benefits are as worthy as they used to be.

Anyways, a pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting, in what seems like a pro-customer move by Marriott
Some of these elites are also business travelers spending other people's money. With business travel being non-existent at the moment, I ain't worried about them. Assuming business travel won't rebound for at least 3 years or maybe never, all this worry is for nothing. How many of these people are going to be spending their own money?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by resolute
I am Ambassador with 65 nights for 2020 and LTT already. Dont think this really helps me - if anyone knows how it does, please let me know.
Without another stay, you will get the 75N choice award when you jump to 115 EQN in July for 2020. If you will reach 75 nights organically before then, the benefit, unfortunately, isn't favourable for you.

James
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Lifetime Tit . . . We Got Bonv°yed!

Originally Posted by lsquare
If Marriott is reading this, please reintroduce LT Titanium as I don't think it's fair that certain people have it and I don't have even a remote chance of attaining it.
Indeed. The cancellation of Lifetime Titanium Elite (also known as old Platinum Elite), while thousands of loyal Marriott Rewards members had been striving toward it for years, some on the verge of attainment (only a year or two short), was the "Original Sin" of Marriott Bonvoy, present at its conception and birth.

Sure, raise the qualification levels if too lenient. But to abruptly and rudely shut so many of us out of a longstanding dream was worse than a thumb in the eye.

It literally became an irredeemable stain on the program, a cruel attack encapsulated by the phrase it brought into being through this outrageous disloyalty at its inception:

"You've been Bonv°yed!"
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Indeed. The cancellation of Lifetime Titanium Elite (also known as old Platinum Elite), while thousands of loyal Marriott Rewards members had been striving toward it for years, some on the verge of attainment (only a year or two short), was the "Original Sin" of Marriott Bonvoy, present at its conception and birth.

Sure, raise the qualification levels if too lenient. But to abruptly and rudely shut so many of us out of a longstanding dream was worse than a thumb in the eye.

It literally became an irredeemable stain on the program, a cruel attack encapsulated by the phrase it brought into being through this outrageous disloyalty at its inception:

"You've been Bonv°yed!"

Old Lifetime was based on base points and 750 nights and no year requirements. If one was “on the verge of attainment (only a year or two short)” then the member could have made the new lifetime platinum anyways or quicker. Really no difference at this point in the program since platinums and titaniums get mostly the same benefits.

now if they decrease platinum benefits, then you may have a point. As of right now, the kicking and screaming is because you can’t get the highest lifetime tier, not because your were striving for it pre merger anyways.

Last edited by myperks; Jun 15, 2020 at 10:36 pm Reason: Adjusted legacy requirements
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer

"You've been Bonv°yed!"
I don't know what the old requirement was, but new LT Titanium attained with 1000 nights and 10 years as Titanium seems fair?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
Old Lifetime was based on base points, not nights or stays or years. If one was “on the verge of attainment (only a year or two short)” then the member could have made the new lifetime platinum anyways or quicker. Really no difference at this point in the program since platinums and titaniums get mostly the same benefits.

now if they decrease platinum benefits, then you may have a point. As of right now, the kicking and screaming is because you can’t get the highest lifetime tier, not because your were striving for it pre merger anyways.
I think Titanium can request upgrades at Ritz-Carlton while Platinum aren't entitled to anything.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:35 pm

I don't know what the old requirement was, but new LT Titanium attained with 1000 nights and 10 years as Titanium seems fair?
Old requirement for legacy Marriott Platinum was 2 million base points and 750 nights
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
kicking myself for merging spg and marriott account a month ago
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
kicking myself for merging spg and marriott account a month ago
Why?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:40 pm

I think Titanium can request upgrades at Ritz-Carlton while Platinum aren't entitled to anything.
but that wasn’t an option under the old platinum anyways so...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.