Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Two Program Enhancements Announced 15 Jun : Pointsavers and Head Start on Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Program Enhancements Announced 15 Jun : Pointsavers and Head Start on Status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I wonder how many of these 5,500 were already off-peak? I'm planning a vacation for August, flexible on destination, but of the first dozen or so properties I was interested in, none were off-peak.
Well, the one property I was really interested in checking out (JW Muskoka) is not one of the 5500+ properties being offered at off peak pricing.

And I checked June/July dates, not August.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
With 33 Marriott nights already, this will put me over 75. With Ambassador already extended through next year, I now have no status-based incentive for any further Marriott stays (as I don't care about gifting Plat).
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Well, I'm happy with this. Titanium with 33 nights this year and 489 lifetime nights. I was only aiming for 50 nights this year to *guarantee* my 9th Qualifying Platinum Year but this extra 38 qualifying nights will deliver me numerous unexpected benefits: (a) immediate 50-night gift; (b) trivial 4-nights to get the 75-night gift which could be the 5 EQNs from the 50-night gift; (c) immediate bump to 527 Lifetime Nights; (d) at most 4 more nights needed in 2020.

In the event, I will take the 5 SNAs as my 50-night gift which I will again use with a 5-night points redemption at the JW Phu Quoc for one of the most lucrative redemptions in the entire network; I will take the free night as the 75-night gift leaving me with two of these for 2021 for a luxurious weekend away somewhere (let's face it, probably Bangkok as I don't generally look to maximise the value of these certificates and just view them as a nice free night); and only 73 nights to go for my ultimate goal of Lifetime Platinum in my planned retirement year at which point the clouds part and sunlight streams into my world.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Duh. That's what I get for not reading closely. Thanks
I was somewhat excited until I saw the words July 31st instead of December 31st.

Oh well... I'm not in a hurry to burn any of my points for 2020 travel but 2021 on the other hand...
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Hmmm, this Titanium is happy! I am at 39 nights through March 4th. With the 38 gifted EQNs in July, that will put me at 77 nights and I will get 50 & 75 night choice awards. I will most likely choose 5 SNAs & 40K FNA respectively. For Lifetime status, I am at 7 years gold or higher but 39 nights short of Lifetime Gold. I think there is incentive for me to stay one more night and I can use the FNA. Beyond that my benefits are the incentive to keep staying at Marriott. (no need pointing out that benefits are currently reduced, that is for another thread and not everyone is concerned about it)

This is extremely generous. In the slight chance there is a lifetime Titanium status resurrected in the future, those extra nights and (earned) year of Titanium Status just might come in handy.

James
I'm not worried about the reduced benefits as there is still plenty of time until this year is over with.

If Marriott is reading this, please reintroduce LT Titanium as I don't think it's fair that certain people have it and I don't have even a remote chance of attaining it.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by X-ON
Hmmm wish they would consider open up LTT, since it would actually incentivze this LTP to stay with MAR, given what the LTT requirements are of course. I guess it will put some others off....
Absolutely! I would give Marriott more of my business if this becomes a reality again.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by X-ON
I wonder if not the notion that we have too many PLT and TIT members is a commentary which describe the US more than the rest of the world. The actual less number of hotels and the absence of CC nights would be the main drivers of this divergence, does not make it less true in the US of course.
In my opinion, I think this is more of a problem in the US. I think this is less of an issue elsewhere in the world. If I didn't state it in this thread, then I may have stated it elsewhere on FT, but I've had good success in the Greater China Region. Before the pandemic began, I was in HK and I was treated very well as a Platinum at the Marriott Ocean Park Hong Kong.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Absolutely! I would give Marriott more of my business if this becomes a reality again.
Yeah... until you hit LTT and back to “what will Marriott do for me”. (Not you specifically, just generalizing) Might as well not open it back up. Same with members at LTP asking why they should go for more stays at this point where LTT is not attainable.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
With 33 Marriott nights already, this will put me over 75. With Ambassador already extended through next year, I now have no status-based incentive for any further Marriott stays (as I don't care about gifting Plat).
lol! This is so silly! I don't even know why Marriott didn't do a better job for Ambassadors considering they're spending US$20k per year! This isn't $20k in any currency other than the good old USD. If I was an Ambassador, I wouldn't even remotely be interested in gifting Platinum to anybody either.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If I was an Ambassador, I wouldn't even remotely be interested in gifting Platinum to anybody either.
I suppose it could be valuable if you have a partner (or family member) who travels separately for business, but that is not my situation.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
Yeah... until you hit LTT and back to “what will Marriott do for me”. (Not you specifically, just generalizing) Might as well not open it back up. Same with members at LTP asking why they should go for more stays at this point where LTT is not attainable.
We can discuss this topic again in 2030...
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The added lifetime nights seem like an unnecessary gift - most likely really just reflecting Marriott's craptastic IT not being able to treat them separately

Last edited by yosithezet; Jun 15, 2020 at 6:25 pm Reason: OT content redacted.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Like others I may have preferred the fun of a promotion, but realistically in my last double elite nights promo (in 2019 without COVID), I only got ~20 nights, so this is more generous and a lot less effort.
It doesn't seem that likely I'd hit Ambassador this year either, but at least this is a realistic incentive to get my 50 and 75 night benefits (3 nights and 28 nights to go now with my extra points, my stays have been entirely stopped by COVID and lockdown). Whilst it remains that the main constraint on me hitting the 75 night threshold is out of my control - i.e. quarantines being lifted, the same as many I guess, if the world did reopen by Q3/Q4 then I would look to push for the extra 20 nights. However it is very unlikely I'd do 50 nights of staycations to get Ambassador.

So overall: Seems positive. Whilst on FlyerTalk we may worry about "elite dilution", the number of people who are going to be doing even 20 nights in a hotel this year is going to be fairly low, so I can live with it.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:29 pm

We can discuss this topic again in 2030...
don’t be silly... this topic will be back within the month, maybe even within the week, but probably within 24hours.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Does anyone know if there is a list of excluded properties for non peak award rates?

The Mystique in Santorini for example still shows 85k a night in July.
​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.