Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Why Can't I Switch My Annual Gift Choice?

Why Can't I Switch My Annual Gift Choice?

Old Jun 9, 20, 2:56 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Montreal,QC
Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 116
Why Can't I Switch My Annual Gift Choice?

I chose 5 Suite Nights as my Annual Gift Choice this year. Several months ago I applied them to a reservation for July. Then COVID 19 came along, the hotels are closed and the awards were put back into my account with the deadline extended to December 2021. I don't know what the future holds and I wanted to switch my choice from Suite nights to a mattress. Marriott will not permit changes. I don't understand the logic given the present circumstances. And it doesn't seem fair or reasonable to me. What am I missing?
ussie44 is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 3:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by ussie44 View Post
I chose 5 Suite Nights as my Annual Gift Choice this year. Several months ago I applied them to a reservation for July. Then COVID 19 came along, the hotels are closed and the awards were put back into my account with the deadline extended to December 2021. I don't know what the future holds and I wanted to switch my choice from Suite nights to a mattress. Marriott will not permit changes. I don't understand the logic given the present circumstances. And it doesn't seem fair or reasonable to me. What am I missing?

You can't switch your choice. Once YOU make your decision, that's the selection as far as I know.
damnyourefine likes this.
calculus1918 is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 4:25 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC - upper West Side
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 582
Originally Posted by calculus1918 View Post
You can't switch your choice. Once YOU make your decision, that's the selection as far as I know.
When you select
You select all the way
From your first cigarette
Till your last dyin' day

Newman
joakgarp likes this.
Newman is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 4:44 pm
  #4  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 5,367
Originally Posted by ussie44 View Post
Why Can't I Switch My Annual Gift Choice?
I chose 5 Suite Nights as my Annual Gift Choice this year. Several months ago I applied them to a reservation for July. Then COVID 19 came along, the hotels are closed and the awards were put back into my account with the deadline extended to December 2021. I don't know what the future holds and I wanted to switch my choice from Suite nights to a mattress. Marriott will not permit changes. I don't understand the logic given the present circumstances. And it doesn't seem fair or reasonable to me. What am I missing?
Uh, the words when you selected your Annual Gift Choice: You get what you picked for the year (and because of COVID-19 this year) and next.

David
DELee is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 4:45 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 809
Originally Posted by ussie44 View Post
I chose 5 Suite Nights as my Annual Gift Choice this year. Several months ago I applied them to a reservation for July. Then COVID 19 came along, the hotels are closed and the awards were put back into my account with the deadline extended to December 2021. I don't know what the future holds and I wanted to switch my choice from Suite nights to a mattress. Marriott will not permit changes. I don't understand the logic given the present circumstances. And it doesn't seem fair or reasonable to me. What am I missing?
You cannot always get what you want. The key is to read the fine print when you make a choice. If you read the fine print, youd know the selection is final.
3rdworldresident likes this.
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 5:07 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marriott Gold
Posts: 10,034
In addition to the excellent replies upthread, for the same reason one cannot change an annual UA MM shared-status selection.

As a related aphorism advises, "Marry in haste, repent at leisure."
SPN Lifer is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 5:07 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Shenzhen
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
You cannot always get what you want. The key is to read the fine print when you make a choice. If you read the fine print, youd know the selection is final.
It's a lot more than fine print. On this occasion, Marriott and its T&Cs are very much in the clear.

The online process to select your Annual Choice gift at 50 and 75 nights warns you repeatedly that the choice is final and you have to click to acknowledge this. Now whether the SNAs can be usefully redeemed in good times or bad is another issue that has been discussed endlessly already on this forum but the irrevocable choice of SNAs as your annual gift is not in question.
ftrichard is offline  
Old Jun 10, 20, 6:26 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT GLD, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Posts: 9,707
It's clearly spelled out in the instructions that all choices are FINAL.
skywalkerLAX is offline  
Old Jun 10, 20, 7:56 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Montreal,QC
Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 116
Thank you all for your comments. I had posted in the belief that most rules have the occasional justifiable exception and that present circumstances are exceptional. I still can't see that, other than minor paperwork, it really makes any tangible difference to Marriott if I switch. That's really what I'm missing. However, given that your opinions are unanimous, I humbly accept. Merci beaucoup!
ftrichard likes this.
ussie44 is offline  
Old Jun 11, 20, 7:20 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Posts: 1,613
ussie44 Glad to see you now understand the situation. You can humbly ask Marriott for a one time exception noting that you understand by policy you are not entitled to change the choice. Sometimes asking nicely will work. The worst that will happen is they will say no and your original choice will stand. Just a thought...

--Jon
Jon Maiman is offline  
Old Jun 11, 20, 2:38 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Programs: DL: Diamond, UA: Silver, Hyatt: Discoverist and Marriott: Ambassador
Posts: 991
Originally Posted by ussie44 View Post
Thank you all for your comments. I had posted in the belief that most rules have the occasional justifiable exception and that present circumstances are exceptional. I still can't see that, other than minor paperwork, it really makes any tangible difference to Marriott if I switch. That's really what I'm missing. However, given that your opinions are unanimous, I humbly accept. Merci beaucoup!
It might be a system limitation not just a simple paperwork... FYI
LDNConsultant is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: