Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] COVID-19 Cleaning Fee Approved

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RUMOR] COVID-19 Cleaning Fee Approved

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
No, OP is someone who works in the hotel industry (not sure if an owner or not) and has been straight up with FT as to how hotels, some in the Marriott chains, operate.

Also, to that end, hotelboy , many thanks for giving us the heads up.

David
I thank him too so I can avoid Marriott properties.

Edited to add: in a prior post just a few weeks ago @hotelboy claimed 23 properties... just saying...
SPN Lifer, Tanic, Keyser and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Yes thank you for the heads up, I now know to stay clear of Marriott properties and will tell others to do the same.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:01 pm

Surely if someone opts for MAGC - those days should not be subject to this ridiculous fee?

Logically shouldn't this cleaning fee be one-time only, at the end of a person's stay and not daily?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Yes thank you for the heads up, I now know to stay clear of Marriott properties and will tell others to do the same.
Unfortunately when the biggest hotel conglomerate in the world sets the tone... one can expect other hotels to soon follow.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
If you get infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus at a Marriott branded property will the "cleaning fee" be refunded?
Better yet, shouldn't hotels that decide to charge this fee have an "enhanced" duty of care for the guest... hence should be held liable for COVID-19 related expenses (including testing, hospitalisation, medication, loss of employment, etc.) of an infected guest? Kinda like paying a premium for insurance coverage.

Unless you're held accountable for the something extra that you want to charge for, you can't simply pass the cost back to the guest when it's basic necessity for you to run your overall business for guest and employee health and safety.
Tanic, D582, DELee and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I just checked into the Courtyard Santa Monica for a stay of close to a month. Advised at check-in that I could only have housekeeping *once per week*. I would expect them to pay me for not providing housekeeping, not charge me a COVID cleaning fee for cleaning I'm not getting.
kennycrudup, anteater and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by merrickdb
I just checked into the Courtyard Santa Monica for a stay of close to a month. Advised at check-in that I could only have housekeeping *once per week*. I would expect them to pay me for not providing housekeeping, not charge me a COVID cleaning fee for cleaning I'm not getting.
If that’s the case I would 100% dispute the charge if it’s applying every night, first with Marriott then with AMEX.
SPN Lifer, kennycrudup and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy
Breaking news from my inbox this Sunday...Marriott has approved my (and other owner’s) request to add cleaning fees. All 52 of my full service brands will be adding a $4.19 per night plus tax fee for COVID related cleaning costs. This will be capped at $41.90 per stay in my case. Look for the official announcement this week from Marriott.
Thanks for the warning. Any possibility you could tell us which properties those are?

Do you have incremental costs for room cleaning nights when a guest doesn't leave? I understand that you might have incremental costs for cleaning a room when it's vacated. Or incremental costs for cleaning the common areas.

I guess you are just looking for a way to pass more of your costs on to your guests rather than including those costs in your room rate.

Also, I don't believe you will be able to add those costs on to guests that made their reservation before you disclosed the fee. The ability to pass along taxes and fees generally applies to government required taxes and fees where the property or company has no control over them. For example, you can't raise the resort fee and charge the new rate to reservations made before you disclosed the new fee. Same with this fee, since it's not government mandated. If you attempted to charge me on a reservation where the fee wasn't disclosed on my confirmation I would fight it anyway I could and probably not stay at that property again.

-David
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
Edited to add: in a prior post just a few weeks ago @hotelboy claimed 23 properties... just saying...
Can you cite the post? I couldn't find it.

-David
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Can you cite the post? I couldn't find it.

-David
it seems today he edited this old post to now read "52"

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32236839-post8.html

I should have taken a screenshot of the post before the edit.

Edited to add... it seems this DenverBrian quote saves the day...
LIH Prem, SPN Lifer, Tanic and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
it seems today he edited this old post to now read "52"
Why would someone edit a post 73 days later?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Because he got a great deal on 29 additional hotels?
Dr_wanderlust, Keyser and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Why would someone edit a post 73 days later?
clearly the international man of mystery bought 29 more hotels.
SkyHarbor and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:19 pm

Going to practice the same as properties that charge a resort/destination/amenity fee, avoid if I can.
SPN Lifer, cmd320 and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Could the OP be a troll? I am astonished that a person who claims to own 52 full service properties, would be gloating over his ability to unjustly enrich himself, by squeezing another $4.19 per night. I don't believe that a "hotel magnet" like this guy claims to be, would act with such arrogance.
Originally Posted by DELee
No, OP is someone who works in the hotel industry (not sure if an owner or not) and has been straight up with FT as to how hotels, some in the Marriott chains, operate.
Well, according to his own posts, he's not an employee. (And frankly, the tone here does seem like something a troll would post.)

I do not and have never taken any compensation from Marriott. Nor am I employed by them. I just love Arne, Marriott, Doug Parker and resort fees.
And in this post, he does claim to be an owner.

If other hotels choose to lose money by not charging no shows thats on them. As an owner there is almost zero tolerance for lost revenue.
As someone who has worked in the hotel industry in the past, I think SCEflyer is correct. The OP is rather tone deaf in terms of his apparent glee for charging his customers various fees.

(Seems like other people posted while I was researching the previous comments from the OP.)
Dr_wanderlust, Keyser and Thysk like this.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Jun 7, 2020 at 7:23 pm Reason: Added additional comment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.