FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Refusing to Rebook Prepaid Closed Hotel for Over a Month (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2019044-marriott-refusing-rebook-prepaid-closed-hotel-over-month.html)

s0ssos Jun 9, 2020 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 32442807)
Fair point. But everyone including the OP wants to get the bang for their buck. In these times, I’m sure a whole lot of members are having trouble using their certificates. Certificate has been extended and may very well be extended again if this whole travel restrictions is not resolved in the next few months or so. I may even use my cert at a less than valuable property if it comes down to that. As someone mentioned, the OP might as well use it and get some night credits to complete lifetime Platinum and then put Marriott on the back burner for good.

But it's not bang for your buck. It is not staying in a junky place.
Say you are in San Francisco. If you look around you get your wonderful choice of Aloft, Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites for 35k a night. I'm sure many people who have free nights live in places nicer than that. It is like doing a motel run just for the nights. Except some people don't want to do those, and many who do those don't actually stay (they just checkin, ruffle up the bed, and leave).
Do you use your free night just because it is expiring? How much does it cost you to use it, if you aren't going to stay there?

I know what you mean by "bang for the buck." I had an expiring Hyatt category 7 certificate, but wasn't near any Hyatts that category. Would I fly somewhere just to use it? It seems ridiculous. I ended up giving it to my friend who was travelling. And absolutely, the certificates are horrible value when the cash prices are so low. Adding on the fact that hotels in the US provide 0 amenities right now (OP obviously has status) you don't quite get an enjoyable stay.

writerguyfl Jun 9, 2020 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 32433265)
I know for a fact properties can adjust the dates on their end for award reservations after Bonvoy started because I was able to do it last year when rebooking didn’t have availability. Having said that, the category was still the same (not sure if pts we’re still the same since I couldn’t book into the changed dates online), it wasn’t a certificate but points redemption, and I don’t know if the property actually contested Bonvoy without me knowing. Someone upthread also suggested hotels can do it so I can’t be the only one.

Unless Marriott completely changed how they operate (which is highly unlikely), I stand by my statement that no hotel can make changes to points/certificate reservations on their own. The change has to be done by Marriott Central Reservations.

I'm not saying that some hotels won't contact Central Reservations to make a change requested by a guest. That sort of action certainly happens in any decently run hotel. I'm just saying that any changes must be done by Central Reservations and they must be approved by the hotel if inventory is not available.

It's tough to know exactly what's happening here. If I had to guess, I'd bet that the people in charge at the OP's requested hotel either don't know that they can authorize the change or they don't know which department in Central Reservations to contact to authorize it.

myperks Jun 9, 2020 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 32443153)
Unless Marriott completely changed how they operate (which is highly unlikely), I stand by my statement that no hotel can make changes to points/certificate reservations on their own. The change has to be done by Marriott Central Reservations.

I'm not saying that some hotels won't contact Central Reservations to make a change requested by a guest. That sort of action certainly happens in any decently run hotel. I'm just saying that any changes must be done by Central Reservations and they must be approved by the hotel if inventory is not available.

It's tough to know exactly what's happening here. If I had to guess, I'd bet that the people in charge at the OP's requested hotel either don't know that they can authorize the change or they don't know which department in Central Reservations to contact to authorize it.

as I said, don’t know if the hotel contacted (sorry, not “contested”, typo auto correct above) central reservations on my behalf but some hotels have their own systems they can change dates with. However, not sure how that ties with redeeming against a issued certificate whether it’s points redeemed certificate or FN certificate.