Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will Free Night Awards be Extended Beyond Jan 31, 2021?

Old Jun 1, 20, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Trying to plan travel in end-September but travel still looks extremely risky even then as of this point in time with airlines now withdrawing August schedules to many destinations (as compared to July earlier). Do you think Marriott will extend the expiration of Free Night Awards beyond January 31, 2021?

Hyatt has extended the Free Night Awards to Dec. 31, 2021.
Hilton Weekend Night Rewards have been extended till Aug. 31, 2021.
While IHG has extended expiry of its Anniversary Night Certificates till only Dec 31, 2020, I like how certificates issues in 2020 will have a 18-month validity instead of a 12-month validity.

Would love to see hotels giving us time till December 31 2021.
Old Jun 1, 20, 5:20 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
I would hope so as the extension was initially announced in late-March when things weren't good in China, which is why they probably offered members in that area a better extension policy than everyone else. However, as things haven't been good in the US and Europe since then, I would hope that Marriott offers an extension until the end of 2021 for everyone.
Old Jun 1, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Here you are. The existing thread with the exact same question...

Possibility of Extending 40K Certificate?
Old Jun 1, 20, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ftrichard View Post
Here you are. The existing thread with the exact same question...

Possibility of Extending 40K Certificate?
That thread speaks specifically to the 75-Night 40K certificate. I am hoping for the extension of all Free Night Awards which include both the 35K and 50K ones via credit cards. Not as a one-off exception where we need to call in, but a Marriott policy rollout for everyone.

Last edited by GarudaSoars; Jun 1, 20 at 6:30 pm
Old Jun 1, 20, 6:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Originally Posted by GarudaSoars View Post
That thread speaks specifically to the 75-Night 40K certificate. I am hoping for the extension of all Free Night Awards which include both the 35K and 50K ones via credit cards.
You're right. I'm wrong. I prostrate myself in apology.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GarudaSoars View Post
Trying to plan travel in end-September but travel still looks extremely risky even then as of this point in time with airlines now withdrawing August schedules to many destinations (as compared to July earlier). Do you think Marriott will extend the expiration of Free Night Awards beyond January 31, 2021?

Hyatt has extended the Free Night Awards to Dec. 31, 2021.
Hilton Weekend Night Rewards have been extended till Aug. 31, 2021.
While IHG has extended expiry of its Anniversary Night Certificates till only Dec 31, 2020, I like how certificates issues in 2020 will have a 18-month validity instead of a 12-month validity.

Would love to see hotels giving us time till December 31 2021.
Ideally, this is what I would like to see happen as I am sitting on 4 FNAs currently with 3 more on the way.
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:48 am

...and Travel Packages also, here is hoping!
Old Jun 2, 20, 9:17 am

sounds like some might have 2 annual FNA's to use this year? my 2020 FNA should be given in Sept with my Bonvoy anniversary. And my 2019 cert is extended thru Jan 31, 2021.

So if we travel over christmas, for example, we'd be able to use 2 FNA in 1 stay?
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:34 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium
Someone asked this question in one of these threads a while back & got a lecture about there 'being more important things to worry about right now than your free night certificate'

But it's definitely bad form that they have extended the certs in Asian countries, and not the country with the largest number of reported cases/deaths.
Happy and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 3:45 pm

Still waiting for the first extension!
Old Jun 2, 20, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
I called up last week to ask about current nights also as I'm aiming to move up a tier so an extension is no value to me. The person on the phone confirmed the extension, however said no news had yet been released about night extensions.

So, also waiting on some news!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by jjLDNY View Post
I called up last week to ask about current nights also as I'm aiming to move up a tier so an extension is no value to me. The person on the phone confirmed the extension, however said no news had yet been released about night extensions.

So, also waiting on some news!
I was wondering if Marriott would roll over EQNs from 2020 into 2021...
Old Jun 2, 20, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget View Post
I was wondering if Marriott would roll over EQNs from 2020 into 2021...
I hope they do, however most programs, be it air or hotels have not taken a stance on taking care of people who plan on moving up the ranks. Extensions are a given, but not what some of us are after. I am working on the assumption that in my scenario they won't help; so will aim for 100 nights this year.

The ideal situation is to carry across or to reduce the threshold 8% per month that they have been formally out of service.
Old Jun 2, 20, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jjLDNY View Post
I hope they do, however most programs, be it air or hotels have not taken a stance on taking care of people who plan on moving up the ranks. Extensions are a given, but not what some of us are after. I am working on the assumption that in my scenario they won't help; so will aim for 100 nights this year.

The ideal situation is to carry across or to reduce the threshold 8% per month that they have been formally out of service.
Indeed, it's only June 2nd but I'm already at 56 EQNs and plan to slow down my travel for the rest of the summer as I focus on other priorities at home.

I suspect I'll end up at around 75 versus 100 this year based on my projections for this situation that we're all in.

It would be nice to roll over some EQNs to 2021 though I'm not holding my breath.
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Jun 3, 20, 11:33 am

Programs: Hy Dia,Choice Dia,MR Plt,PCR Plt,HH Gd, SPG Gd,Carlson Sil, CO Plt, UA Prem Exec, DL FO, Hertz #1GD
Rollover would be awesome.
im at 67 now, that or double nights for any 2020, would at least go towards lifetime.
my guess is they do nothing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: