Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incidental credit card hold

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Incidental credit card hold

Am Titanium. Just stayed at a townhouse suites on points and see on CC they charged $10.00. Called and they said it was an incidental hold and would be refunded. I have never seen this done before. Is this new or just this hotel?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:40 am

Some hotels do that. Most of the time they're just a pending transaction. I'm surprised you've never encountered this as a titanium.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by knownothing
Is this new or just this hotel?
Neither.

It is normal at pretty much every hotel (except the hold is usually $50 or $100 per night).
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by guear
Some hotels do that. Most of the time they're just a pending transaction. I'm surprised you've never encountered this as a titanium.
Perhaps I never got my cc bill so soon after the visit so never saw it. Am pretty sure the Ritz does not
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
You are saying you were actually charged....yes that's an error. Haven't had that happen before. Certainly a hold is normal. But only charged for actual spending.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
A pending transaction is fine. If they full charged you, as Vker wrote, that's a mistake on their end.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by knownothing
Perhaps I never got my cc bill so soon after the visit so never saw it. Am pretty sure the Ritz does not
They have in the past for me. Transaction is purely pending and auto drops.

10 bucks is definitely quite low. I'm used to the 75 - 250 range.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
The OP needs to clarify whether it is a “pending” transaction or one that has been completed and the establishment saying it will be refunded.

Pending charges are certainly common and only present an issue to the individual if they are riding close to their card’s credit limit. These pending charges just drop automatically if they were only “hold charges”; basically, the merchant’s way of ensuring you have credit available to cover what they deem as potentially minimum spending you are likely to incur.

If the OP is seeing the charge on the CC bill, it would be different and not your typical “hold” charge.
SPN Lifer, Antarius and ftrichard like this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium United Silver
I forgot what hotel it was, might of not of been a Marriott, but they wanted to hold $300 a night for a total of $1,500 for a 5 night stay. I had to argue with the manager saying that was insane. They ended up bringing it down to $200 a night and it never posted.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ryansox
I forgot what hotel it was, might of not of been a Marriott, but they wanted to hold $300 a night for a total of $1,500 for a 5 night stay. I had to argue with the manager saying that was insane. They ended up bringing it down to $200 a night and it never posted.
Since it never actually hits my account, I don't really care. At the end, anything I'd owe would have a line item statement, so whether I were to pay it out of a pre-auth "deposit" or after, the actual payment would occur after anyways. Not that I expect this to ever happen.

On a random funny, I was in Brasil and wanted to drive to Argentina and the rental car company wouldn't let me (in the future, best to not ask). I ended up having to buy the car as a pre-auth to do so. So they put the entire car on my credit card and removed it when i returned it
Brandinho1 and margarita girl like this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I find that the preauthorization relates to the guest's potential to incur room charges e.g. restaurant, room service, gift shop, etc. In the past, it would have been phone charges and pay-per-view. Limited service hotels tend to place a small hold, often $25-50 per night, and usually on the low end of that range. I've never seen a $10 hold.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is the point of a $10 hold. Usually it is about $50, but I don't see the point of a $10 hold.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
never heard of an actual charge and $10 makes no sense whatsoever. When they want to do large holds hotels usually ask (I don't care, but glad they ask); most hotels with smallish $200-like holds don't even ask. Sounds like an error to me. Did you speak with the manager?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Antarius
Since it never actually hits my account, I don't really care. At the end, anything I'd owe would have a line item statement, so whether I were to pay it out of a pre-auth "deposit" or after, the actual payment would occur after anyways. Not that I expect this to ever happen.

On a random funny, I was in Brasil and wanted to drive to Argentina and the rental car company wouldn't let me (in the future, best to not ask). I ended up having to buy the car as a pre-auth to do so. So they put the entire car on my credit card and removed it when i returned it
OT but you were lucky on the car. Driving to a country where you're forbidden to take the car could easily invalidate any insurance, as would your temporary purchase maneuver. It could also be a customs violation to "import" a car you own into a different country from the place it was purchased the same day.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
You are saying you were actually charged....yes that's an error. Haven't had that happen before. Certainly a hold is normal. But only charged for actual spending.
Fully agree! A pending transaction would never show on a credit card bill. If it was on the credit card bill, it would have had to be a posted charge.

James
Mr. Vker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.