Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 26, 21, 10:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: seawolf
Wiki Link
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 15, 20, 12:23 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
[Edit to include content removed in the "purge" in a separate post, so it's not horribly out-of-place time-wise:
OMAAT has indicated that there's at least going to be a "What to Expect" page for Marriott hotels...but for a few hotels I've checked (not a representative sample, but 2-3 I've tended to frequent) nothing is up. Does anyone have a vague sense of how this is being rolled out?

(Link: https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...t-coronavirus/ )]

So, I've expanded my sample size. The Atlanta Marriott Marquis and the Delta Lake Buena Vista don't have it. Ditto all the hotels at Virginia Beach (including the Cavalier), which...I think I checked about eight hotels there.

The Marriott City Center in Newport News has it (though it's basically bad news across the board...the restaurant, for example, is M-F 1700-2100 only).

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Sep 16, 20 at 1:33 pm
Old Sep 15, 20, 5:13 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S); Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DreamHigh View Post
Bonvoy confirmed via the Insiders FB group, the suspension is extended to 12/31
Did they say which year?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DreamHigh View Post
Bonvoy confirmed via the Insiders FB group, the suspension is extended to 12/31
Since Marriott recognizes that this pandemic is nowhere near over, they will surely extend our free night certificates beyond Jan 31, right?
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Are these suspensions primarily in the US? I've been having no issue getting anything in Croatia, by I'll be heading back to North America soon.
Old Sep 15, 20, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Has anyone been to Hotel Imperial in Vienna recently and whether breakfast is offered to Platinum/Titanium?

If Germany and Austria open up to travelers from the US, then we may go over end of November, also assuming Christmas Markets experiences won’t be too degraded. If Hotel Imperial adhres to Marriott elite benefits suspension, then I will seriously consider canceling my reservation (made before category increase.
Old Sep 15, 20, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
Has anyone been to Hotel Imperial in Vienna recently and whether breakfast is offered to Platinum/Titanium?

If Germany and Austria open up to travelers from the US, then we may go over end of November, also assuming Christmas Markets experiences wont be too degraded. If Hotel Imperial adhres to Marriott elite benefits suspension, then I will seriously consider canceling my reservation (made before category increase.
I'm supposed to go to a conference in Vienna next month. I checked and the Intercontinental and Andaz both have breakfast so I don't see any reason why Marriott properties would not.
Old Sep 15, 20, 9:02 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator note

Folks,
I have just deleted scores of posts which were off topic. Some posts even mentioned that they were themselves odd topic. The fact that someone else goes off topic does not require you to add additional off topic comments. The opposite is expected. Please stay on topic and take the other insights to their appropriate threads.

Thank you for your cooperation.

yosithezet
Co-Mod, MB Forum
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:10 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
I have mixed feelings. I definitely feel for hotel operators and staffs in these unprecedented times, and am willing to cut them a lot more slack than I normally would.

On the other hand, I also feel that hotels should be rolling out the red carpet to ANY guests right now, and especially elite members of loyalty programs. As I've said in other threads, this crisis offers properties an opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to hospitality.

Flipping the coin again, though, hotels are really screwed here. A previous poster said it would be nice to come into their room and find a bottle of wine on ice. I agree, but I can just imagine the over-the-top thread started here by a COVID-phobe along the lines of "How DARE they have someone in my room and leave a virus-riddled bottle of wine?!" Or, "I don't drink and wish they had just taken $10 off my room rate." Or, "They left a cheap bottle of swill that I just dumped down the drain--don't they value my business enough to give me a better bottle than that?!"

And regarding free breakfasts, which I still can't wrap my head around why people care so much, some people here need to reevaluate how "elite", loyal, and important to a hotel's bottom line they really are if they're going to make stay decisions based off whether or not they get a free muffin and coffee in the morning. Hotels may be happy to shed such folks to other chains, even in a pandemic with occupancy levels so low.
I mean, I feel the need to control costs in some situations and I'll grant that every hotel's situation is at least somewhat different and varied...but I think a lot of the trouble is that the chains aren't even willing to put a floor on what needs to be provided under "normal" circumstances (local law permitting), what might be wavied, and so on. I'll admit that I find the little stickers on the doors to be somewhat self-congratulatory and performative (okay, so nobody has been in the room since the last person to go in?) and a lot of the chatter about how heavily things are being cleaned to also be questionable...but I figure that Marketing has told them that yammering about this will get them more business/prevent business from being lost (though if the Amtrak survey I got is any indication, I honestly question what is actually being asked...the framing on those surveys is often deeply questionable).

As to breakfast, I'd at least note that I find the presence/absence of the muffin to be irrelevant. It's the ability to get something along the lines of bacon and/or eggs that matters to me when I want to bother with it. I think the bigger issue at this stage is the inability to get anything (either "period" or "outside of highly constrained times").

This isn't helped by a frequent inversion of brand quality across the broader family with more being offered by "limited service" hotels than "full service" hotels (not always accompanied by a shift in pricing), and so on. Basically, Marriott has effectively thrown their hands up.

I don't think I'm pushing to "have the red carpet rolled out", but being able to grab lunch "in house" would be really nice sometimes. It would be nice to know that (as a Titanium) I could count on being able to insist on some basic element of housekeeping more than once a week without having to call hotel after hotel to check policies (somewhere in all of this, someone offered the "pro tip" of "Call the hotel and ask"...if there are a few baseline elements of service I'm looking for, I really don't think it's realistic to tell the customer to crack open a spreadsheet...I've already gotta do that for parking [at least you can get resort fees rolled in on the website]. So it isn't a matter of wanting to be able to get the peaks of service...it's wanting there to be a floor.

(Actually, the "resort fee" bit raises another point there...I sorta get waiving brand standards, but Corporate really should have told hotels "Look, if you can't make the standards and you can't provide most of the things nominally included in the fee, you're going to drop the bloody fee as a condition of us waiving brand standards for you", I get it, this is Marriott, they're more worried about preserving footprint than anything, but this seems like a reasonable thing to compel hotels to do. For a specific example, the Sheraton Orlando LBV Resort has a $23.95 "resort fee" that's supposed to cover, among other things, resort shuttles to WDW (which are not running). That's what the fee was pre-virus, FWIW, so they're not even pro-rating it.)
CIT85, MSPeconomist, DELee and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:55 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
As has been pointed out previously, McMarriott’s customers are the owners and not the tenants

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
...but Corporate really should have told hotels "Look, if you can't make the standards and you can't provide most of the things nominally included in the fee, you're going to drop the bloody fee as a condition of us waiving brand standards for you", I get it, this is Marriott, they're more worried about preserving footprint than anything, but this seems like a reasonable thing to compel hotels to do. For a specific example, the Sheraton Orlando LBV Resort has a $23.95 "resort fee" that's supposed to cover, among other things, resort shuttles to WDW (which are not running). That's what the fee was pre-virus, FWIW, so they're not even pro-rating it.)
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I actually completely agree with you, GrayAnderson. I, too, wish there was consistency, at the very least. One draw of staying at branded hotels is supposed to be, more or less, knowing what you're going to get when you choose one.

And again, maybe I'm bending over backwards too far here, but it's got to be challenging for the hotels and the corporate HQ when coronavirus policies and procedures vary so widely from place and place, and randomly in time. That being said, Marriott used to be able to do a better job of this. Sabai may have hit the nail on the head (despite the pejorative "McMarriott" thing)--at some point (and I would guess it was when someone with the last name of "Marriott" ceased running the company) they seem to have shifted from a customer-focused hospitality business to a profit-focused franchising business.

So that leaves it more up to individual properties and their ownership/management. This is where I 100% agree that resort fees (which rub me the wrong way in the best of times) should be eliminated at places that no longer provide the amenities they supposedly cover. And any property that doesn't do so has demonstrated an unforgivable greed, at least in terms of earning my business.
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
Sabai may have hit the nail on the head (despite the pejorative "McMarriott" thing)--at some point (and I would guess it was when someone with the last name of "Marriott" ceased running the company) they seem to have shifted from a customer-focused hospitality business to a profit-focused franchising business.
Marriott, like many large US companies, have grown too large for their own good.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Prince George, BC

Stayed at the Four Points in Prince George. Breakfast was served in the restaurant and we were allowed to choose anything from the menu. The omelets were huge. Server mentioned that they only allowed 5 tables to be occupied at any time due to Covid.

There is also a Courtyard in Prince George. I called and they were offering $10 credit for the Elite breakfast benefit, so happy we chose the Four Points.
SPN Lifer, Bravada04 and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 18, 20, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Courtyard in Flagstaff, AZ. The bistro is not open, no housekeeping during stay, no recognition for Ambassador and of course no amenity points. Parking lot is full so I know they are at least 80-90% occupancy. I am here on a scout mission for an upcoming project in the area and will be staying for 2 months. I won't be staying at the Courtyard or any Marriott property, I will be at the Doubletree. I stopped by to ask what they are offering, breakfast for Diamonds, housekeeping when I want it, and they have 2 restaurants open on the property. The double points Hilton is offering is the icing on the cake.
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by estedman View Post
Courtyard in Flagstaff, AZ. The bistro is not open, no housekeeping during stay, no recognition for Ambassador and of course no amenity points. Parking lot is full so I know they are at least 80-90% occupancy. I am here on a scout mission for an upcoming project in the area and will be staying for 2 months. I won't be staying at the Courtyard or any Marriott property, I will be at the Doubletree. I stopped by to ask what they are offering, breakfast for Diamonds, housekeeping when I want it, and they have 2 restaurants open on the property. The double points Hilton is offering is the icing on the cake.
Good for you. I almost booked a HGI for an October stay but the Marriott updated their 'Amenity section' and is now offering $20 p.P. per day as a BF amenity ... that's fair enough for me ... will stick w/ the Marriott for now.
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
We should start making a list in the Wiki of this thread regarding which properties are, or more importantly aren't honoring elite benefits.

Search this Thread