Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Always good elite treatment at this property. Love the corner suites. Though when I was there last in June, they were not offering lobby Starbucks credit.
My experience as well. I can't recall not being upgraded to a suite. For $109 and a door-dash dinner, it was perfect for the now all too popular "we can't get you there in a day" flight connections. My only criticism would be that the building exterior needs a good cleaning so I can better enjoy the unobstructed views over LAX from the corner suite.

It was my first hotel stay in 158 days. With Titanium bonus, welcome points & the stay promotion, a cool 5,408 points. The "topper;" it was also my 400th night and I turned LTG.

James
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Bonvoy confirmed via the Insiders FB group, the suspension is extended to 12/31
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:20 pm

To me, the most disconcerting part of this by far is the apparent suspension of the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee. I was walked from a Fairfield in KS last month with no explanation and no offer of any assistance whatsoever. I have been going back and forth with Marriott Bonvoy to obtain some reasonable level of compensation. The guarantee for a Fairfield specifies 90,000 points and $100. I spent more than $100 extra just to find a room 30 miles away that night at a Courtyard that was nearly sold out. I understand why hotels can't offer all the same perks at the same levels to their now-more-more limited clientele (breakfast, etc.), and I know they are under enormous financial pressures. Still, it makes no sense to me that a hotel can ignore a Bonvoy reservation and chalk it up to COVID-related disruption when that hotel is open for business (and presumably sold out).
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
Geez.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I just received Platinium. Got 15 nights booked.😔 Grab and go bags here I come.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
Personally I have yet to encounter a hotel that normally offers suites but isn’t currently. Of course YMMV, but in general they’re happy to sell you a suite for 3x the price of a standard room, even if it takes 2x the time to clean.
FWIW, at the Hampton Inn where I am currently typing this post from, the top floor of the hotel is where 90% of the property's suites are. The management company/the owner decided to have that floor closed off the second week of March and it's still closed. There are Gold and Diamond members who ask about upgrades regularly and know that it's basically a whole floor of king suites but they are told no simply because demand doesn't warrant opening it. Business is at best 1/3 of what it was last year and in kind the housekeeping staff has been slashed to the bone and beyond. That floor will stay closed indefinitely along with the pool/fitness room and any semblance of the prior breakfast format.

I'm not trying to disparage anyone's opinions but I truly don't think people understand how precarious certain hotel's situations are. I've done this in some form for over two decades and I've got friends/former collegues at a lot of properties across several Hilton/Marriott brands. I know people at two locations that have temporarily ceased operations or one at a Courtyard that last week got it's airport shuttle repossessed. Sure there are pockets here and there where the market has recovered somewhat (near national parks and beaches) but the average especially select service property is hurting big time and amenities will only come back once demand warrants it for a considerable period of time, not the other way around. People don't want to hear it, but it's true. Standards are on a pause or hiatus and no brand is going to crack the whip any time soon unless they want more temporary/permanent closures.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's nothing like an official public announcement regarding changes to the T&Cs. Bonvoy!
uanj, UA-NYC, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: Yes
Is there an official publication stating the original suspension or even the extension?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I have mixed feelings. I definitely feel for hotel operators and staffs in these unprecedented times, and am willing to cut them a lot more slack than I normally would.

On the other hand, I also feel that hotels should be rolling out the red carpet to ANY guests right now, and especially elite members of loyalty programs. As I've said in other threads, this crisis offers properties an opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to hospitality.

Flipping the coin again, though, hotels are really screwed here. A previous poster said it would be nice to come into their room and find a bottle of wine on ice. I agree, but I can just imagine the over-the-top thread started here by a COVID-phobe along the lines of "How DARE they have someone in my room and leave a virus-riddled bottle of wine?!" Or, "I don't drink and wish they had just taken $10 off my room rate." Or, "They left a cheap bottle of swill that I just dumped down the drain--don't they value my business enough to give me a better bottle than that?!"

And regarding free breakfasts, which I still can't wrap my head around why people care so much, some people here need to reevaluate how "elite", loyal, and important to a hotel's bottom line they really are if they're going to make stay decisions based off whether or not they get a free muffin and coffee in the morning. Hotels may be happy to shed such folks to other chains, even in a pandemic with occupancy levels so low.
uanj likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
The way Marriott (and other brands) enforces these standards is through audits to ensure the local hotels are enforcing rules. Based on current trends, I would expect audits to be suspended through 1Q21 and potentially through June 2021.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by The Road Goes On Forever
Sure there are pockets here and there where the market has recovered somewhat (near national parks and beaches) but the average especially select service property is hurting big time...
And the thing is, the average select service hotel is doing better (definitely in terms of occupancy, and even rate in many situations) than the average full service property.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's nothing like an official public announcement regarding changes to the T&Cs. Bonvoy!
Technically T&Cs didn’t change, just suspended (Indefinitely at this point)

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Is there an official publication stating the original suspension or even the extension?
technically the lurker comments can be seen as an official publication, though many will disagree. One can also argue that the “what to expect” site slowing updating by property is an announcement until further notice. Let’s not kid ourselves, even if there is an official posting on Marriott website, no one here cares to hear why it’s implemented anyway. Vote with your wallet.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

David
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've received only the continental breakfast (served in the restaurant) at many luxury properties in Europe, although it might be priced $35 or more per person. In places where the hotel restaurant only offers a buffet, you might get access to the entire buffet or they might specify only cold items or only items in a certain area of the buffet.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:15 am

I found it for a hotel. It was on the hotel's own website homepage, on the second of two red banners across the top.

Information about the restaurant was good, but elite benefits were vague (lounge closed could mean executive lounge or the lobby lounge, grab and go breakfast for purchase didn't mention elites, Bonvoy benefits list was mobile check in/mobile request etc. with a line at the bottom stating "Available benefits vary by location and membership tier", which of course is completely uninformative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.