Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Still gotta stay somewhere though...
Here's what I've done:

I've gone to sites like booking.com (which have a lot of reviews which you can sort by date) and look at the properties I'm interested in and read their reviews date - newest to oldest. Some small of hotels the reviews will mention that they have this benefit or that benefit (obviously not likely elite-specific benefits, given that people with elite status are not likely to book through third-party sites, but whether the breakfast is hot or just bags or nothing, whether the pool is open, whether the restaurant is open, etc).

Then at Hilton.com, some decent fraction of hotels spell out on their website what is open but limited: If it says "breakfast, restaurant" is available but limited, it's probably just limited to no dine-in, only take back to your room. But if it just says "breakfast" is limited, and there's no restaurant in the hotel (because it's a midscale hotel without a full restaurant), that alone doesn't tell you just how limited the breakfast is, so you have to read reviews somewhere.

And that only works for Hilton. At most other brands, all you have is the reviews, and/or calling the hotel.

The problem is that most hotel program websites don't have reviews from the Covid era. (I don't know if they're filtering them out, or not asking people to leave reviews, or what, but usually I can't find reviews on hotel websites from after early March 2020.) So that's why I have to go do third-party booking sites like booking.com to find reviews from the last few weeks or at least from the last month or two. (But there are some hotels which have improved their benefits over time, so it's worth checking for the most recent reviews, maybe even re-checking periodically. One Hampton was giving only grab and go bags in June, but by late July it was giving out hot breakfast but to take back to your room and only during very limited hours. I only learned of that by re-checking reviews at third-party booking sites. I've been re-checking nearby Fairfields, but they're all still stuck at most in grab and go land. But, to be fair, so are several other Hamptons nearby, only one of the Hamptons in that area has started serving hot breakfast, the rest are still just grab and go bags, and not even your choice of items.)
Sabai and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I just completed a week in the Washington DC area. Two different hotels, similar outcomes for this lifetime Platinum member: smallest, least attractive rooms given, even when upgrades to larger rooms or suites requested (and cash offered for the upgrade at check-in). One FS hotel in "Georgetown" even stated: we have closed the suites for booking and for upgrades. No lounge. Pool also closed. Ice machines turned off. All food & beverage suspended, but the minibar somehow generated an incorrect charge nevertheless.

Meanwhile, at a nearby Relais & Chateaux property, the nicest services were happily offered and I was grateful to pay for them. That hotel got more than one grand in F&B spend. The Marriotts got zip.

Why do some hotels think that now is the time to restrict the goodies, when in fact, now is the time to lavish the benefits? It makes zero loyalty sense. The incremental cost of putting the few elites currently travelling in the best rooms or suites is minimal. If the minibar is open, certainly a bottle of wine on ice could be waiting in the room.
lsquare and Chablis like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
More data: Greenville SC Marriott: opens restaurant Sept 15 and elites apparently get a free breakfast as the lounge is closed.
There are also assorted snacks or ‘concierge items’ available during the day, I am told.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by fastflyer

Why do some hotels think that now is the time to restrict the goodies, when in fact, now is the time to lavish the benefits? It makes zero loyalty sense. The incremental cost of putting the few elites currently travelling in the best rooms or suites is minimal. If the minibar is open, certainly a bottle of wine on ice could be waiting in the room.
When a hotel is running 10-20% occupancy (because it relied on business travel and conventions) at rates that are half of what they normally are, the hotel probably can’t afford to lavish the benefits
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, but some elite benefits cost the hotel almost nothing to provide. It requires exactly the same housekeeping to clean a room (upgrade) with a very nice view versus the same size of room with a view of garbage cans. In fact, it shouldn't take much additional time to clean a suite unless there's an extra bathroom or extra bedding has been used. For one occupant, it's basically a matter of vacuuming some additional carpet.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Adelphos
When a hotel is running 10-20% occupancy (because it relied on business travel and conventions) at rates that are half of what they normally are, the hotel probably can’t afford to lavish the benefits
I think now more than ever is the time to build loyalty. A suite costs the hotel only a tiny margin more to operate than a normal guestroom. Yet it builds goodwill among the customers at a far higher rate than that small marginal cost. Who would be likely to spend an additional night if they feel chintzed in a cheap room when suites down the hall remain unoccupied. But if given a nice room, and, say, a $10 bottle of chardonnay (probably one of hundreds aging at sunk cost in the kitchen walk-in), the guest might happily extend the stay. Certainly that guest would be likelier to return.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I just completed a week in the Washington DC area. Two different hotels, similar outcomes for this lifetime Platinum member: smallest, least attractive rooms given, even when upgrades to larger rooms or suites requested (and cash offered for the upgrade at check-in). One FS hotel in "Georgetown" even stated: we have closed the suites for booking and for upgrades. No lounge. Pool also closed. Ice machines turned off. All food & beverage suspended, but the minibar somehow generated an incorrect charge nevertheless.

Meanwhile, at a nearby Relais & Chateaux property, the nicest services were happily offered and I was grateful to pay for them. That hotel got more than one grand in F&B spend. The Marriotts got zip.

Well done. I did kind of the same thing in D.C. I started at the W which gave me (LTT) an upgrade to a normal room with a view and no F&B. Then I went next door to the IC Willard which gave me as a RA one of their top named suites and free full cooked breakfast in their restaurant. So I've rewarded the Willard with several more stays. I've used a few free nights at Marriott since COVID, but my money is going to IHG and others.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, but some elite benefits cost the hotel almost nothing to provide. It requires exactly the same housekeeping to clean a room (upgrade) with a very nice view versus the same size of room with a view of garbage cans. In fact, it shouldn't take much additional time to clean a suite unless there's an extra bathroom or extra bedding has been used. For one occupant, it's basically a matter of vacuuming some additional carpet.
That’s exactly went through my mind. I was at a property recently where they won’t upgrade me. Apparently there are no rooms to upgrade me to. I showed the “available room” on the app. The rep said the app is wrong. Ok...
Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by lsquare
That’s exactly went through my mind. I was at a property recently where they won’t upgrade me. Apparently there are no rooms to upgrade me to. I showed the “available room” on the app. The rep said the app is wrong. Ok...
This is probably my last reply in this thread along these (combative) lines as I am clearly in the minority here in terms of opinions, but what could be happening is that

1) The hotel is not selling any suites as they may take longer to clean (a housekeeper has to clean two areas in a room instead of one, and housekeeping staff may be hard to come by)

2) Certain floors are not open for booking at all to “shrink the size” of the hotel, and all the suites are on that floor

As business volumes start to improve (and hotels believe they can win meaningful business through competing on benefits), I expect more benefits to be restored. That said, many are pushing for significant permanent changes (i.e. reductions) in elite benefits and brand standards across the industry - we will see where those end up next year.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This is probably my last reply in this thread along these (combative) lines as I am clearly in the minority here in terms of opinions, but what could be happening is that

1) The hotel is not selling any suites as they may take longer to clean (a housekeeper has to clean two areas in a room instead of one, and housekeeping staff may be hard to come by)

2) Certain floors are not open for booking at all to “shrink the size” of the hotel, and all the suites are on that floor

As business volumes start to improve (and hotels believe they can win meaningful business through competing on benefits), I expect more benefits to be restored. That said, many are pushing for significant permanent changes (i.e. reductions) in elite benefits and brand standards across the industry - we will see where those end up next year.
Personally I have yet to encounter a hotel that normally offers suites but isn’t currently. Of course YMMV, but in general they’re happy to sell you a suite for 3x the price of a standard room, even if it takes 2x the time to clean.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:49 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
Let’s get back to and stay on Marriott-benefit specific topics.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, MB Forum
Old Sep 13, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This is true, but also true is competition. If other hotels in the market are giving out benefits, then some people will choose those other hotels. On the other hand, if Marriott gets enough bookings from people who accept the lack of benefits, then they will stick to that strategy.
SPN Lifer, lsquare and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Delta Ocean Pointe, Victoria, BC

Delta in Victoria offered breakfast in their restaurant. Can order anything off the menu.

Here are some of the meals my friends and I ordered.

yyzflyer, jpdx, unclepants and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Delta in Victoria offered breakfast in their restaurant. Can order anything off the menu.

Here are some of the meals my friends and I ordered.
I think the defining difference is the property is not in the Good Ole USA. Although, I did have an overnight stay at the Sheraton Gateway LAX last Tuesday where I was upgraded to a suite, received the 1000 points welcome amenity and a voucher for any beverage & a pastry from the lobby Starbucks. Overall, great experience.

The Mexican properties I have stayed at so far are doing an amazing job. In Puerto Vallarta, the Marriott & Westin are even waiving resort fees through October 31st.

James
unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
what could be happening is that

This is certainly true at some properties (e.g., Essex House, which has only one or two floors open for hotel guests).

But other properties are simply being cheap. A good example is the many Marriotts (I've stayed at several) which are offering on-property food and beverage services at breakfast, but refusing to provide any elite breakfast benefit. IMO that's short-sighted, brand-destroying behavior. Personally, I've gone from checking Marriott options first, to checking them last, if at all.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I did have an overnight stay at the Sheraton Gateway LAX last Tuesday where I was upgraded to a suite, received the 1000 points welcome amenity and a voucher for any beverage & a pastry from the lobby Starbucks. Overall, great experience.
Always good elite treatment at this property. Love the corner suites. Though when I was there last in June, they were not offering lobby Starbucks credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.