Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I think it's unreasonably to compare what you go at HIX brands to anything other than Fairfields (or similar) in the Marriott family.

There are places I've checked where HIX gives at least some sort of breakfast but Crowne Plaza (a full service brand in the same IHG program as HIX) gives absolutely nothing. So why in the world are you not comparing Crowne Plaza to FS Marriott, or HIX to Fairfield? Full service brands in all programs are giving worse breakfast right now that limited service brands in all programs, so it makes no sense to me to compare limited service in one program to full service in another program.

Apples to apples, please.
Brilliant! Crabapple & Kumquat comparisons add little value to the conversation.

While some like to harp about not getting their "guaranteed" benefits, consider that as a Bonvoy member, everyone had to accept the T&Cs of the program which explicity states that any provisions of the program may be changed with or without notice. Your "guaranteed" benefits are only "guaranteed" until they are not! Currently, they are on hiatus, you accepted that!

If breakfast is an absolute must, why not suggest to the hotel that you will pay last years rate if they can arrange to have breakfast provided under their local restrictions which may have changed between booking and arriving.

So many "entitled" people want their cake and eat it for breakfast too. Sub $100 LAX rates in August!!!! Who cares that there isn't a $3‐$5 food cost (only a portion of the total cost to provide it) full American breakfast. Apparently a lot do, I don't. Abbreviated-full-service proprties still offer more space, larger rooms and are quieter. I value that more than a "guaranteed" crappy breakfast in a small HI Express with tiny rooms, narrow corridors and an absolute zero % chance of an upgrade at half the price.

James
bgasser likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Brilliant! Crabapple & Kumquat comparisons add little value to the conversation.

While some like to harp about not getting their "guaranteed" benefits, consider that as a Bonvoy member, everyone had to accept the T&Cs of the program which explicity states that any provisions of the program may be changed with or without notice. Your "guaranteed" benefits are only "guaranteed" until they are not! Currently, they are on hiatus, you accepted that!

If breakfast is an absolute must, why not suggest to the hotel that you will pay last years rate if they can arrange to have breakfast provided under their local restrictions which may have changed between booking and arriving.

So many "entitled" people want their cake and eat it for breakfast too. Sub $100 LAX rates in August!!!! Who cares that there isn't a $3‐$5 food cost (only a portion of the total cost to provide it) full American breakfast. Apparently a lot do, I don't. Abbreviated-full-service proprties still offer more space, larger rooms and are quieter. I value that more than a "guaranteed" crappy breakfast in a small HI Express with tiny rooms, narrow corridors and an absolute zero % chance of an upgrade at half the price.

James
It's not always the case that full service brands have larger rooms than limited service brands. An obvious comparison is Hyatt Regency versus Hyatt Place. Within Bonvoy, RI and element (both extended stay as well as limited service) tend to have significantly larger rooms than Marriott, Sheraton, Westin, etc., in the same type of location. Within the strictly limited service category, I've had large rooms in 4Pts, but this is based on a small sample.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bocastephen
On a roadtrip from Seattle back to LA and for reference purposes, here is what we're encountering, again, using Holiday Inn Express hotels to contrast the poor performance of Marriott brands. Aside from both hotels we've stayed at being in pristine condition and the rooms are really nicer than anything Marriott offers in a similar category, the Oregon location had a pre-order breakfast which included your choice of a breakfast burrito or Jimmy Dean sausage croissant (both frozen, heat in the room), plus a very long list of cold items, all take-away in the morning. Our California location for tonight includes that class HIE breakfast buffet service, but there is an attendant who fills a box for you with your choices and you take it to the room, no self service. The only fail at this location are a bunch of PGE linemen yahoos who refuse to wear masks and a front desk clerk who refuses to force them to wear masks, so I will need to take that up with IHG when I get home.

So again, there is absolutely no excuse for a full service Marriott hotel to refuse to offer eligible elites a hot or cold grab-n-go breakfast every morning if their food facilities are allowed to be open. None.
Speaking of IHG, I'm at a full service Intercontinental in D.C. which has its restaurant open with free breakfast for elites. And a really great all day dining menu for either the restaurant or room service. I had an excellent dinner with escargots de Bourgogne and a filet mignon. This hotel is not holding back.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Within the strictly limited service category...
I reckon that most properties currently offer limited service.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't read anyone questioning that Marriott has the power to suspend benefits. What I see are a whole bunch of members saying they're not going to book with Marriott, because it currently provides little or no extra value at many properties (particularly within the U.S.). That's called consumer choice.
Sabai, DELee and volabam like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

James
for many of us it is not the $$ but the fact that it isn’t offered for any price under the false excuse of COVID.

In most places restaurants are open for takeout. There is no reason Marriott chain hotels could not open for takeout and room service. Both are relatively safe (just knock on door and leave food outside). They choose not to offer anything except a room and a parking space.

I agree — I’ll gladly take a discount instead of a crappy free breakfast. But when I travel I stay at full service hotels precisely because I value food options at all hours to accommodate my needs. Also value gyms & pools which are open in many states.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
for many of us it is not the $$ but the fact that it isn’t offered for any price under the false excuse of COVID.

In most places restaurants are open for takeout. There is no reason Marriott chain hotels could not open for takeout and room service. Both are relatively safe (just knock on door and leave food outside). They choose not to offer anything except a room and a parking space.

I agree — I’ll gladly take a discount instead of a crappy free breakfast. But when I travel I stay at full service hotels precisely because I value food options at all hours to accommodate my needs. Also value gyms & pools which are open in many states.
Well said. I'm at 81 nights this year (with 38 comped) and closing in on $9,000 in spend. I continued to travel during COVID due to my job requiring travel and I continued to steer dollars to Marriott who rewarded me with "well our restaurant is open but if you want anything you gotta pay". It leaves a worse taste in your mouth than the bad hotel coffee.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If offering a small subset of customers $3-5 worth of food is the difference between a hotel staying open or closing their doors, then they really just need to close up and sell the business to someone who knows that they're doing.
I wouldn't be surprised if their vendor who is supplying the food is selling it at retail price, like the corner store. Because, most people, definitely including myself can stockpile the stuff they put in their grab and go bags for less than $3.00. Think about, that yogurt sells for less than 25 cents each. A banana cost probably 10 cents if that. A frozen sausage sandwich is 50 cents max in the jumbo boxes and a stupid Capri sun or other sugary drinks is 25 cents or less. All of that comes to $1.10😂 From just going to Walmart!!! LOL
lsquare and hyedmd like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CMK10
It leaves a worse taste in your mouth than the bad hotel coffee.
Or the "no hotel coffee." The only properties I've stayed in that have "suspended" in-room coffee service were all Marriotts.
SPN Lifer, Sabai, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I wouldn't be surprised if their vendor who is supplying the food is selling it at retail price, like the corner store. Because, most people, definitely including myself can stockpile the stuff they put in their grab and go bags for less than $3.00. Think about, that yogurt sells for less than 25 cents each. A banana cost probably 10 cents if that. A frozen sausage sandwich is 50 cents max in the jumbo boxes and a stupid Capri sun or other sugary drinks is 25 cents or less. All of that comes to $1.10😂 From just going to Walmart!!! LOL
You're seeing a sausage sandwich? I'm seeing a small, crappy muffin that you might expect at a Red Roof Inn with a banana. No yogurt.
hyedmd likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by bwallet
You're seeing a sausage sandwich? I'm seeing a small, crappy muffin that you might expect at a Red Roof Inn with a banana. No yogurt.
😳
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by bwallet
I recently stayed in the Springfield, MO RI. We went to the dining area and could select bacon or sausage (alternate days), scrambled eggs, yogurt, fruit, muffin, banana or apple.

This Friday I start a driving trip that includes RI, Marriott, Renaissance, and TownPlace Suites. I don't think any of them offer more than a 'grab n go' thing for 'breakfast'.

One Westin I checked offered only points and no in-house restaurant whereas a Marriott in the same town at least has a functioning in-house restaurant along with the meaningless points.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I forgot to add one really nice perk at this IC I'm at. They put an individually wrapped surgical mask in my room. And some hand sanitizer wipes. It could not have cost them more than a dollar, but I thought it was very thoughtful and useful. And something that Marriott will probably never do unless they are forced to.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:47 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stimpy
I forgot to add one really nice perk at this IC I'm at. They put an individually wrapped surgical mask in my room. And some hand sanitizer wipes. It could not have cost them more than a dollar, but I thought it was very thoughtful and useful. And something that Marriott will probably never do unless they are forced to.
On a positive note, when I checked in to the AC Saint in Key West in early July, we received two masks and sanitizers as well. They also offered free breakfast and late check out for elites.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes, but McMarriott will provide two bibles in your room; perhaps better to stave off the demon virus.
Boraxo and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.