Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Sheraton Grand Seattle. Nada. No lounge, no breakfast, no alternative options offered. There is a full service Starbucks in the lobby that is open and fully functional. Not sure why a daily credit to be used there couldn't be offered. Oh right, I know why. Because Marriott doesn't give a hoot about honoring elite benefits. Would have done Hyatt but Olive 8 doesn't open up again until October.
MSPeconomist, volabam and Kacee like this.

Last edited by justforfun; Aug 27, 2020 at 7:28 pm
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
And suite upgrades and free breakfast. It depends on the local government rules and local hotels. I've had both good and bad hotel stays since COVID. The good ones include a nice upgrade and free breakfast.
At standard properties yes, but no suite upgrades at most luxury brands and FHR already covers free breakfast, etc. Historically I would do RC over other brands for the elite nights but given I have no real need for those this year it seems to pretty much be a wash.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by cmd320
At standard properties yes, but no suite upgrades at most luxury brands and FHR already covers free breakfast, etc. Historically I would do RC over other brands for the elite nights but given I have no real need for those this year it seems to pretty much be a wash.
Well yes I pretty much always choose FHR if possible. Especially booking with CTS where you get $300 in credits at RC's.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stuartpig
I may be shot down, but I love no housekeeping. More relaxing in every way
Same here. Put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign long before they gave points for foregoing housekeeping. I try to live a green lifestyle and I find it very annoying when there is a sign telling you to hang up your towels if you would like to reuse them, and they replace them anyhow!
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by stuartpig
I may be shot down, but I love no housekeeping. More relaxing in every way
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Same here. Put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign long before they gave points for foregoing housekeeping. I try to live a green lifestyle and I find it very annoying when there is a sign telling you to hang up your towels if you would like to reuse them, and they replace them anyhow!
Totally agree with both of you!
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
Which hotel? FT members need to stay away from that place.
Sheraton Portland ME. This used to be a great hotel, fond memories of great service in the lounge and lobster dinner in their restaurant.
360guy and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I enjoy housekeeping making the bed, emptying the trash, and restocking the bathroom with new sheets and soaps. It is a little thing I like when I am away from home.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:06 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by justforfun
Sheraton Grand Seattle. Nada. No lounge, no breakfast, no alternative options offered. There is a full service Starbucks in the lobby that is open and fully functional. Not sure why a daily credit to be used there couldn't be offered. Oh right, I know why. Because Marriott doesn't give a hoot about honoring elite benefits. Would have done Hyatt but Olive 8 doesn't open up again until October.
If the Marriott Sea Tac location works, they are still doing free breakfast in their restaurant for Elites.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I just checked into the Ahwahnee in Yosemite. The rates are always high here - on par with a St Regis city hotel. However I am impressed with the level of service which is still good despite onerous COVID restrictions mandated by NPS and state. Cooked to order (or preordered) Food to go for all mealtimes is prepared in the hotel restaurant. Staff very responsive to requests and brings things to room. Alas the Wi-Fi is out due to flooding but that’s a plus in a national park. Pool is open. Bar is open.

marriott could Safely and easily do all of these things at its finer properties but chooses instead to shaft the customer to save a few $$. As I like to say, penny wise, pound foolish.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
5 day stay at The Republic, San Diego. Nice property and location, but amenities are Motel 6 level. No in-room coffee or water bottles, bar, restaurant, and lounge are closed (750 points daily for Plat and above - 60 cents towards your 7-11 coffee).

McMarriott’s Bonvoy needs a post-COVID rethink; the purported advantages of status are quickly proving illusionary.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Western Canadian stay experience from July and August:

Four Points Saskatoon: while the hotel isn't particularly old, it is poorly-run and maintained. Dirty common areas and a lot of evidence of poor room-cleaning standards, such as finding refuse from prior guests in the bed. Breakfast offered to elites, but limited to one menu item.

Kananaskis Lodge, Autograph Collection: a terrific stay, with strong protocols and elite treatment, including generous room upgrades, even though the hotel appeared close to capacity. Full breakfast provided for 4 (!), with any choice on the extensive menu. The cafe and the casual restaurant are open with somewhat reduced hours, while the fine dining area was closed. Room service was available, and excellent. Access to common facilities, like the waterpark and the gym had controlled/booked entry times and enforced maximum capacity. Service was exemplary. The access to forest and isolated mountain trails starting right at the property, combined with the excellent service experience under the circumstances, makes this a great getaway during the COVID era.

Sheraton Cavalier Calgary: the hotel, and Calgary more generally, had been struggling pre-COVID, and it was at very low capacity when we booked. The club lounge is closed, but a full breakfast is offered in the cafe, with a decent amount of choice. Pool and waterpark are open with limited, timed admission. Service, as always, was excellent.

Delta Vancouver Suites: all food and beverage services are closed, but one nice thing they are doing is offering beer and wine (at good prices) at the front desk. Points are provided in lieu of the breakfast benefit, and I was offered a choice of upgraded room. Service was outstanding, including a well-coordinated effort with food delivery services. The gym is available with advance booking and limited to 1-3 guests at the same time. Clean, efficient, and friendly.

Delta Whistler Suites: rates were the lowest I'd ever seen here, and while the village was busy, it was nothing like Augusts past. The hotel is older and in need of some renovations, but it was clean and well-run, and they offered sealed amenity bags near the front counter, with bottles of water, tea/coffee, cleaning supplies, and PPE. Points offered in place of breakfast, as the attached restaurant now only opens for lunch.

Westin Grand Vancouver: all food and beverage services are closed. The hotel was clean and the gym was open and bookable in advance. The location is hard to beat, and service is consistently very good. Capacity was low during the week, but picked up noticeably on Friday/Saturday.

For all of the hotels, housekeeping was available on demand, though the advance time required varied from an hour to a day in advance. Extra towels, water, etc. were available on demand, too.

It's a unique and very challenging environment for hotels right now, and I'm impressed with how most of them are adapting and coping. I miss the lounges a lot, as they are a favourite place to work or to get quiet time while the rest of the family sleeps, but the comparative ease of upgrades and in some cases, the other benefits offered, I'm content, while looking forward to a return of normalcy.
yyzflyer, 360guy, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I just checked into the Ahwahnee in Yosemite. The rates are always high here - on par with a St Regis city hotel. However I am impressed with the level of service which is still good despite onerous COVID restrictions mandated by NPS and state. Cooked to order (or preordered) Food to go for all mealtimes is prepared in the hotel restaurant. Staff very responsive to requests and brings things to room. Alas the Wi-Fi is out due to flooding but that’s a plus in a national park. Pool is open. Bar is open.

marriott could Safely and easily do all of these things at its finer properties but chooses instead to shaft the customer to save a few $$. As I like to say, penny wise, pound foolish.
I’ll be a dissenting voice here - the reason why the Ahwahnee is able to provide that level of service is because demand and hotel rooms rates are high (they may be in fact basically normal from a revenue standpoint). A “finer,” city hotel in Seattle, New York, Chicago, whatever may be 10-20% full (if that) with prices that are 30% below normal. At those occupancy levels, benefits of any kind (elite or not) are hard to justify. Remember that a lot of these hotels may be owned by owners that have to pay mortgages, property taxes, etc, so they literally need every penny until things get better. The level of service is going to be determined by local demand and the financial position of the owner more than Marriott policy
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by unclepants
Western Canadian stay experience from July and August:

Four Points Saskatoon: while the hotel isn't particularly old, it is poorly-run and maintained. Dirty common areas and a lot of evidence of poor room-cleaning standards, such as finding refuse from prior guests in the bed. Breakfast offered to elites, but limited to one menu item.

Kananaskis Lodge, Autograph Collection: a terrific stay, with strong protocols and elite treatment, including generous room upgrades, even though the hotel appeared close to capacity. Full breakfast provided for 4 (!), with any choice on the extensive menu. The cafe and the casual restaurant are open with somewhat reduced hours, while the fine dining area was closed. Room service was available, and excellent. Access to common facilities, like the waterpark and the gym had controlled/booked entry times and enforced maximum capacity. Service was exemplary. The access to forest and isolated mountain trails starting right at the property, combined with the excellent service experience under the circumstances, makes this a great getaway during the COVID era.

Sheraton Cavalier Calgary: the hotel, and Calgary more generally, had been struggling pre-COVID, and it was at very low capacity when we booked. The club lounge is closed, but a full breakfast is offered in the cafe, with a decent amount of choice. Pool and waterpark are open with limited, timed admission. Service, as always, was excellent.

Delta Vancouver Suites: all food and beverage services are closed, but one nice thing they are doing is offering beer and wine (at good prices) at the front desk. Points are provided in lieu of the breakfast benefit, and I was offered a choice of upgraded room. Service was outstanding, including a well-coordinated effort with food delivery services. The gym is available with advance booking and limited to 1-3 guests at the same time. Clean, efficient, and friendly.

Delta Whistler Suites: rates were the lowest I'd ever seen here, and while the village was busy, it was nothing like Augusts past. The hotel is older and in need of some renovations, but it was clean and well-run, and they offered sealed amenity bags near the front counter, with bottles of water, tea/coffee, cleaning supplies, and PPE. Points offered in place of breakfast, as the attached restaurant now only opens for lunch.

Westin Grand Vancouver: all food and beverage services are closed. The hotel was clean and the gym was open and bookable in advance. The location is hard to beat, and service is consistently very good. Capacity was low during the week, but picked up noticeably on Friday/Saturday.

For all of the hotels, housekeeping was available on demand, though the advance time required varied from an hour to a day in advance. Extra towels, water, etc. were available on demand, too.

It's a unique and very challenging environment for hotels right now, and I'm impressed with how most of them are adapting and coping. I miss the lounges a lot, as they are a favourite place to work or to get quiet time while the rest of the family sleeps, but the comparative ease of upgrades and in some cases, the other benefits offered, I'm content, while looking forward to a return of normalcy.
Thank you very much for this detailed report. I may have some unavoidable travel to Alberta in the next few months and wish there were more summaries like this. Was the breakfast at the Sheraton Calgary complimentary or pay-as-you-go for elites?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 4:23 pm

Despite the numerous complaints on this thread I have to say I’ve had a very pleasant return to travelling with Marriott as an Ambassador Elite member.

Since last July I had 5 stays at two Ws and one each at LC, LM and SH for a grand total of 31 nights. All save one were paid stays, either BRGs or the Welcome Back promotional rate.

For each and all of these 31 nights I was upgraded to a full suite. Some of these were hotels where I am a returning guest and where I had never been able to score a suite upgrade on my previous stays. At one of the Ws my suite had a malfunctioning AC and, because repairs could only take place the following day, I asked to be moved to another room (still an upgrade from award booking) and got 50k points compensation for missing out on my upgrade.

Breakfast at the restaurant was always provided as a welcome amenity (when not included in the rate) and, despite some limitations in the spreads due to the Covid situation, all were good to excellent.

All those 5 properties were functioning satisfactorily, notwithstanding some closures (spas, dining venues, bars and/or clubs) and the unavoidable heightened safety measures.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have ten Marriott stays since mid-March. Only two properties (Phoenician and Camelback Inn) offered breakfast. The Courtyard Del Mar/Solana Beach offered $10 credit in the Market. Nine of the ten stays, I received a really crappy initial room assignment (Bayview Marriott Newport Beach, being the exception, though they did not give me a suite). For two of those nine stays, I was able to improve the initial room assignment, but it required extensive back and forth at the Camelback, including discussion with two managers.
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Since last July I had 5 stays . . . .
"Last July" would be July 2019 . . . do you mean this July?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.