Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Old May 22, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by X-ON
I can already see it ....
- "I like to request late check out at 4PM visa vi my Platinum Status "
-"Sorry Sir due to the Covid-19 outbreak we have suspended this benefit"
-"However you can pay $100 for a 4PM late check out"
I have about 12 nights now since March 16th, I’ve yet to be denied a 4pm checkout (I have Titanium status).

I’m not too worked up about the suspension of some benefits, and keep in mind they’ve extended our status for an entire year.
Old May 23, 2020, 7:12 am

It's hard enough traveling during this time, nobody wants to be on the road, but there are jobs out there that still require it in essential industries - and handing out a bagged muffin or bagel, piece of fruit, and coffee would cost almost nothing and involved no human contact.

Nobody is expecting a full buffet. But instead, they're asking guests to choose between the risk of grocery shopping and bringing COVID back to the hotel, or waiting in a long crowded drive through where the worker has been touching credit cards all day, or getting delivery from who knows where.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I would imagine you could also do contactless delivery through Shipt or other purveyeors such as Instacart.
Old May 23, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
It's hard enough traveling during this time, nobody wants to be on the road, but there are jobs out there that still require it in essential industries - and handing out a bagged muffin or bagel, piece of fruit, and coffee would cost almost nothing and involved no human contact.

Nobody is expecting a full buffet. But instead, they're asking guests to choose between the risk of grocery shopping and bringing COVID back to the hotel, or waiting in a long crowded drive through where the worker has been touching credit cards all day, or getting delivery from who knows where.
They’re not. I’ve been offered grab-n-go bags, usually a muffin, a hard boiled egg, a fruit, and a little juice cup. Feels like a school lunch, but it’s something and I’m fine with it.

I’m starting to sound like a Marriott apologist, I’m not, but there’s been some misinformation posted on this thread.
Old May 23, 2020, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
They’re not. I’ve been offered grab-n-go bags, usually a muffin, a hard boiled egg, a fruit, and a little juice cup. Feels like a school lunch, but it’s something and I’m fine with it.

I’m starting to sound like a Marriott apologist, I’m not, but there’s been some misinformation posted on this thread.
Recent stays at a Delta, Sheraton, and Rennaisance in NJ - no breakfast offerings in any of the above.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:13 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Staying at the Residence Inn Convention Center Orlando. They have opened everything except the fitness center and breakfast buffet. They exceeded my expectations by offering a grab and go breakfast option. They had coffee, the bread box which included individually wrapped muffins, breads, and Belgian waffles. They had a fridge with yogurts, fruit cups, hard boiled eggs, and burritos (hotel made with sausage, potato, and egg). They also had instant oatmeal packets and the juice machine available. Walk through, pickup a bag, grab what you want, and go eat in your room or by the pool.

Had a small miss with housekeeping (which is by request), but over all really pleased at their implementation currently in place.
Adelphos and ryw like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Since April I’ve stayed at the following hotel brands and have observed the following in 18 stays.

1x Ritz Carlton (Santa Barbara) - No Breakfast - Points Only for Plt and Above

7x Courtyard - All Bistros Closed and $10 F&B Credit for the Market Only

4x SpringHill Suites - Breakfast To Go (Bag)

1x Towneplace - Breakfast To Go (Bag)

3x Fairfield Inn - Breakfast To Go (Bag)

1x Aloft (Tempe) - No Breakfast - Points Only

1x Residence Inn - Breakfast To Go (Bag)
Old May 24, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Since April I’ve stayed at the following hotel brands and have observed the following in 18 stays.

1x Ritz Carlton (Santa Barbara) - No Breakfast - Points Only for Plt and Above

7x Courtyard - All Bistros Closed and $10 F&B Credit for the Market Only

4x SpringHill Suites - Breakfast To Go (Bag)

1x Towneplace - Breakfast To Go (Bag)

3x Fairfield Inn - Breakfast To Go (Bag)

1x Aloft (Tempe) - No Breakfast - Points Only

1x Residence Inn - Breakfast To Go (Bag)
Will be interesting to see what full service hotels do with breakfast once restaurants start opening nationwide
Old May 24, 2020, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Will be interesting to see what full service hotels do with breakfast once restaurants start opening nationwide
Likewise, most of my travels have been to the boonies like Idaho Falls, Medford, or Bend for example so not a lot of experience with full service hotels but I will say I am impressed by SpringHill Suites and would stay there more often if it was an option.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
This happened to me last week at Marriott Hilton Head.
The restaurant had reopened but titanium breakfast welcome amenity was denied as the hotel said Marriott had temporarily suspended some benefits including the complimentary breakfast.

Originally Posted by X-ON
I can already see it ....
- "I like to request late check out at 4PM visa vi my Platinum Status "
-"However you can pay $100 for a 4PM late check out"
OR
- "I like to choose buffet breakfast as my welcome benefit visa vi my Platinum Status "
-"However you can pay $35 for a Breakfast in the Restaurant"
X-ON and Adelphos like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I agree with the aforementioned comment about suspensions of standards. I would hope that Marriott would make clear that if amenities are available, they need to be available to all Bonvoy/SPG Members and not for additional fees. I would imagine Marriott can, and would want to enforce that for their sake. I also think they need to publicly show they are giving flexibility to the hotels, many of whom would be in violation of state orders if they were maintaining brand standards. I also hope (and this may be too much to hope) that Marriott would ask hotels when possible to allow for a reasonable substitute (no free breakfast, but a free snack from the pantry for example).
Old May 26, 2020, 8:00 am

Currently staying at the Current - Tampa Bay, I see what I did there. 750 pts in lieu of bfast for a 6 night stay. Pretty frustrating considering they're doing "room service" via partnering w a restaurant across street. That and the fact that pretty much everything in Tampa is open and the hotel seems to have a decent number of guests. Wish I had opted for the Epicurean instead.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So along with this, are these hotels still charging the 'destination amenity' or 'resort fee' ?

Can't work both ways, if they remove benefits then they also should remove resort/destination fees.
dayone and Intl359Widget like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by beofotch
This happened to me last week at Marriott Hilton Head.
The restaurant had reopened but titanium breakfast welcome amenity was denied as the hotel said Marriott had temporarily suspended some benefits including the complimentary breakfast.
And thats the problem here... we know that a lot more hotels will be using this to deny benefits even when they have restaurants/offerings open. Totally against the intent and spirit of the temporary suspension (which is that it is suspended if a hotel's food service is closed/unavailable). It'll likely get worse as bookings start to increase and hotels start using this to deny room choices and upgrades etc.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
So along with this, are these hotels still charging the 'destination amenity' or 'resort fee' ?

Can't work both ways, if they remove benefits then they also should remove resort/destination fees.
Indeed! That's a primary frustration that I've had to be honest with Resort/Destination Fees still being charged while the offerings are not available.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.