Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Refused Late Check-Out due to COVID (Experiences?)

Old May 18, 20, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Honors Diamond

Platinum member here, recently finished challenge after a few years with Hilton.

Currently at a CY, refused 4pm check out due to COVID related deep cleaning

I opened a case with the Platinum desk, AGM would not budge and kept me at 2pm due to coronavirus, but will be providing a letter stating refusal due to COVID that I will email in with my final complaint.

Anyone else have any experiences with late check out during this situation, and Marriott backing up our guarantee?
Old May 18, 20, 10:16 am
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdventure View Post
Platinum member here, recently finished challenge after a few years with Hilton.

I opened a case with the Platinum desk, AGM would not budge and kept me at 2pm due to coronavirus, but will be providing a letter stating refusal due to COVID that I will email in with my final complaint.

Anyone else have any experiences with late check out during this situation, and Marriott backing up our guarantee?
IMO, hotel CAN decline the late check-out due to health reasons and for the safe operation of the hotel.

Late check-out is not part of the basis service. Also, even some of the basis service has been interrupted or altered. Such as the closures of club lounge, indoor pool and kids activities.

Safety and health reasons over-write the "perks" and other "benefits". There is no breach of the service contract. This is mandated by various levels of governments.
BearX220, CPRich, awayIgo and 2 others like this.
Old May 18, 20, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I’m sure there’s fine print that wouldn’t make it a breach of contract under any circumstance anyway . I don’t even think that would ever be a point worth arguing. What am I gonna do? Sue them? 😂

I do think it’s a little different from pools, restaurants, and other amenities though. IMO, those are truly closed due to a government mandate. The law doesn’t require them not to provide a “guaranteed” late check out, and if they’re going to enhance it out, wouldn’t it be in good form to let people know?

Last edited by ItsAnAdventure; May 18, 20 at 10:46 am
Old May 18, 20, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Complete BS.

There is absolutely no chance that the hotel is at 100% occupancy, or even close. So the hotel could quite easily let you have the late check out and leave the room empty overnight for a deep clean the next day. And unless the hotel has hired far more cleaning staff, chances are high that a proper "deep clean" would involve cleaning staff working until well after 4pm.

Whether Marriott corporate backs you up is another question, however...
Old May 18, 20, 10:55 am
Original Poster

<10 Guests in house when I checked in. Agree with you wholeheartedly.

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Complete BS.

There is absolutely no chance that the hotel is at 100% occupancy, or even close. So the hotel could quite easily let you have the late check out and leave the room empty overnight for a deep clean the next day. And unless the hotel has hired far more cleaning staff, chances are high that a proper "deep clean" would involve cleaning staff working until well after 4pm.

Whether Marriott corporate backs you up is another question, however...
Old May 18, 20, 11:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Yeah, I've yet to be denied late checkout (nor early checkin for that matter) as occupancy levels have been so low. But as others have posted, you're probably out of luck WRT to recourse.
Old May 18, 20, 11:40 am

<10 Guests in house when I checked in. Agree with you wholeheartedly.
Their main cleaning people are probably only there for a limited time and they didn’t want you to checkout after they left. Right or wrong is for someone else to decide.
RedSun and wrldwide1 like this.
Old May 18, 20, 12:31 pm

I recently phoned the hotel I have a reservation. They will open next week and the max occupancy they can do is 50%. Half of the rooms will be hard closed (dark). They expect the occupancy rate to be low to start with. So they won't have full staff. The state stay-home order just got lifted and staff are still finding housing themselves.

With almost all hotels losing money under stress, I just do not see it is reasonable to demand guaranteed 4PM late check-out.

Last, if someone has reason to travel right now, there is little reason to stay at the hotel room to 4PM with minimal services.
Old May 18, 20, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Sounds like a hotel that was not properly staffed for the guests they had in house and made up some kind of an excuse.

If a specific property wants to provide me with the information that I will not be able to request a 4pm check out at booking, fine. Otherwise, I'm going to expect it and if it's not delivered I'm going to complain about it. Small SS type properties have been pulling this kind of stuff for a long time and every time I have called in and involved someone from the elite services line it was resolved and I was told I could stay in my room until 4pm.

Otherwise, I would latch the door and stay there anyway and if they want to try and bill me for another night they can take it up with my CC company.
Old May 18, 20, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

I believe in the main late c/o thread there was someone who did that and the police were involved. Going to send a letter to corporate but not holding my breath. Will name property after a resolution.

Last edited by ItsAnAdventure; May 18, 20 at 1:34 pm
Old May 18, 20, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I believe in the main late c/o thread there was someone who did that and the police were involved. Going to send a letter to corporate but not holding my breath. Will name and shame property after a resolution.
Well then they're welcome to do that as well. It's very clearly a guaranteed benefit based on elite status. The one and only carveout is very specific to hotels designated resorts or convention properties. If it isn't one of those, I'm staying until 4 if I need to.
SPN Lifer and clarkef like this.
Old May 18, 20, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
I recently phoned the hotel I have a reservation. They will open next week and the max occupancy they can do is 50%. Half of the rooms will be hard closed (dark). They expect the occupancy rate to be low to start with. So they won't have full staff. The state stay-home order just got lifted and staff are still finding housing themselves.

With almost all hotels losing money under stress, I just do not see it is reasonable to demand guaranteed 4PM late check-out.

Last, if someone has reason to travel right now, there is little reason to stay at the hotel room to 4PM with minimal services.
HUH? No reason to leave late? What if someone has a late flight and wants to stay alone in the hotel room rather than elsewhere where social distancing might be a problem? Even essential travel can require late day flights and with fewer flights being operated, the customer has less choice of flight times.

If anything, COVID-19 gives people more urgent reasons to check out late.
Old May 18, 20, 2:52 pm

You can sue the hotel for not opening the pool and health club. Sue them for not open club lounge, Sue them not giving you room upgrade. Some of the posts are just amazing....

As for the late check-out. The only benefit I can see is that premium TV channels that some might be interested.
awayIgo likes this.
Old May 18, 20, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure how so many people know so much about the operations of this specific property, largely because OP has not identified it.

There are many perfectly valid reasons for this and they largely revolve around staffing levels and protocols which have been approved.

There are going to be many hardships which people have to suffer for the next 24-36 months and this is one of them.

If you want a cut & paste non-apology, you should send in a note.
BearX220 and RedSun like this.
Old May 18, 20, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
You can sue the hotel for not opening the pool and health club. Sue them for not open club lounge, Sue them not giving you room upgrade. Some of the posts are just amazing....

As for the late check-out. The only benefit I can see is that premium TV channels that some might be interested.
Yes, because complaining on Flyertalk about being denied something guaranteed, that has nothing to do with anything legally COVID related is completely frivolous. Of course.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: