Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Refused Late Check-Out due to COVID (Experiences?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Late Check-Out due to COVID (Experiences?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:11 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Another generalization! I am a Titanium Elite with 103 nights in 2019. Of those, only 4 nights at luxury properties. 2 nights at the St. Regis Bora Bora & 2 nights at the St. Regis Macau Cotai Strip. I was treated like Royalty at both locations with suite upgrades. The remainder are Renaissance, Marriott, Sheraton, Westin, SHS, 4P, Protea & Courtyard. Courtyards in Asia are 4* full service properties with lounges & gourmet breakfast buffets. So, no, I don't tend to focus most of my stays at luxury properties. SHS & Courtyards are perfect for overnight transits when flying. I don't need to spend $50-$75/hr for a luxury property when I am departing for the airport before breakfast.

Suggestions that all of these lower tier properties don't know the Bonv⁰y benefits is ludicrous. When I was frequenting a SHS property with airport shuttle service, they always provided me with a $10 voucher for the in-lobby bar & restaurant in addition to my regular benefits. Similarly, I have been upgraded to a one-bedroom suite and had a hand written thank you note from the Manager with a large Lindt chocolate bar in the room when I arrived at a Courtyard in Washington State. In both cases, late check-out was never an issue.

In summary, not all low tier properties are bad & not all luxury properties are good so please put that paintbrush away. If I find a bad apple, I toss it away and don't select it again. It doesn't mean that all apples are bad and some are incredibly sweet and very delicious. Happy to say that the bad apples are very few and far between.

I believe that complainers tend to find that they will get what they are supposed to but nothing more. Those that show flexibility and understanding, especially in uncertain times, will fare better in the long run. I have communicated with Bonv⁰y exactly 5 times since 2018, 4 of which were for a TP. Once to redeem and attach to a booking, once to detach, once to convert to a NC and once to attach to a points advance reservation. Total call time, 22 minutes for all four calls. I didn't "play the game." Did I miss a couple of welcome points posting in the early stages? Yes! But I also, on a few occasions, received the welcome points in addition to the other amenity chosen. Did I persue the missing point? No! Not worth the time and effort especially when it pretty much balanced out overall. Perhaps that is why I seem to get "so much more" than my status "entitles" me to.

James
As I said so many times, everything is relative. This is just generally speaking. People can certainly continue to argue that they have spent 1,000+ nights with Marriott for 10+ years and have never stayed at any Marriott hotels that are higher than Category 5. Must be great experience...

Last edited by hhoope01; Jun 2, 2020 at 4:27 pm Reason: Updated the quoted text as it was modified due to FT Rule 16
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
As I said so many times, everything is relative. This is just generally speaking. People can certainly continue to argue that they have spent 1,000+ nights with Marriott for 10+ years and have never stayed at any Marriott hotels that are higher than Category 5. Must be great experience...
There are Courtyard properties that are Category 5 and Full service Marriotts with lounges and great breakfast buffets that are Catagory 3 and similarly priced, so yes, it is all relative. This Titanium is definitely having a great experience; one that has puzzled more than one Ambassador Elite.

Oh, and the St. Regis nightly rate in Macau was cheaper than an overnight Courtyard stay in Boston, again very much relative.

James
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
There are Courtyard properties that are Category 5 and Full service Marriotts with lounges and great breakfast buffets that are Catagory 3 and similarly priced, so yes, it is all relative. This Titanium is definitely having a great experience; one that has puzzled more than one Ambassador Elite.

Oh, and the St. Regis nightly rate in Macau was cheaper than an overnight Courtyard stay in Boston, again very much relative.

James
This ambassador elite has also been having a great time with Marriott.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by tzydzy
My experience has been to have problems more with lower level properties such as Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn and Courtyard rather than flagship hotels such as Marriott or Renaissance. But it varies with the individual property. At a Springhill Suites, I was leaving at 3:15 PM to avoid traffic to the airport and the housekeeper in the hallway exclaimed "You're wasting money - you have until 4 PM!" . I had overheard front desk personnel stating that there were only 2 late checkouts for the entire property and overall, I have noted very few late checkouts at most properties. In most of my departures, there are few cars in the lot at 4 PM, with most people vacating before noon. With low occupancy, cleaning a room or two the next day does not seem to be a problem. . Based on that information - low utilization overall - is probably why SPG implemented it as there was no added cost to a property. At one property, the front desk tried to say that 4 PM time for Platinum and above was "based on availability", and another clerk noted "We have to provide the benefit to you, but do you really want to use your Platinum benefit?" And on the other side, some Marriott flagged properties have coded the keys to expire the next day so that there would be no problem with a key not working at 4:10 PM when one was exiting the room. I typically have late flights, some leaving at 1 AM the next day so using the time away from the airport with comfortable seating and wifi is a welcome and most used benefit.
I don't view Springhill Suites as low-end. Sure, they are lumped with Courtyard and Fairfield but Fairfield is more like Motel 6, Courtyard is a nicer motel. Springhill Suites is actually decent. Residence Inn varies widely, because some are very nice, but extended stay is just extended stay basically.

Originally Posted by swag
What do you base this statement on?

I suppose back when Marriott used to use lifetime points as a component of lifetime status, those with lifetime status would have skewed towards more expensive hotels. But that's not the case any more, and even back then, annual status was based strictly on nights. And it's a lot easier to rack up nights at cheaper hotels.

Personally, I'm lifetime titanium with 850+ nights. I don't think I've ever spent a night in a Luxury Collection or Ritz...
That's cause Ritz gives you no benefits. No point to having status and staying at the Ritz. Stay at St Regis instead.

James
Oh, it's easy to see which courtyard are nice. The ones not in America. I doubt there is a full-service Courtyard in America. I mean, in the Asian way, with a lounge.
Category has more to do with location than anything else. That Courtyard Boston you mentioned isn't a cat 5. It is cat 6. St Regis Macau is only cat 7, 1 category higher.
I remember staying in the Sheraton Macau, for a cheap rate, when their lounge was under renovation and you get to eat at the Feast for your "appetizers".
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:05 am
Suspended

James
I do not see the need to keep the same path to continue arguing, particularly if you keep broadening the universe. We agree and disagree. Move on.

Back to the OP, I just do not think it is a good thing to insistent on the request of 4PM late check-out during this pandemic. The hotel has reached out by both email and phone call to inform the guest. Well, we could always complain about something, and get our room comp'ed. Good for OP.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I do not see the need to keep the same path to continue arguing, particularly if you keep broadening the universe. We agree and disagree. Move on.

Back to the OP, I just do not think it is a good thing to insistent on the request of 4PM late check-out during this pandemic. The hotel has reached out by both email and phone call to inform the guest. Well, we could always complain about something, and get our room comp'ed. Good for OP.
In this instance the ‘pandemic’ is a red herring.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I just do not think it is a good thing to insistent on the request of 4PM late check-out during this pandemic. The hotel has reached out by both email and phone call to inform the guest.
The hotel is wrong.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:26 am
Suspended

All I can say is that, with the pandemic, all level of hotel services are impacted due to various local government restriction and health reasons. The impacts on high level hotels are more than on the low level properties. It is just unreasonable to hold the hotels at the same service level prior to the pandemic. The same goes with airline travels. Just do not blame the unpleasant travel experience on hotels and airlines.

While Marriott and hotel owners losing $$$$ everyday, here we complain of lack of 4PM late check-out. Some can complain about lack of club lounge, full breakfast, access to swimming pool and fitness club, more and more. We just do not care with rubbing a grain of salt to the injury the hotels already sustained during this pandemic.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by clarkef
Awesome to hear!

James
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
All I can say is that, with the pandemic, all level of hotel services are impacted due to various local government restriction and health reasons. The impacts on high level hotels are more than on the low level properties. It is just unreasonable to hold the hotels at the same service level prior to the pandemic. The same goes with airline travels. Just do not blame the unpleasant travel experience on hotels and airlines.

While Marriott and hotel owners losing $$$$ everyday, here we complain of lack of 4PM late check-out. Some can complain about lack of club lounge, full breakfast, access to swimming pool and fitness club, more and more. We just do not care with rubbing a grain of salt to the injury the hotels already sustained during this pandemic.
It is one thing to rub a grain of salt into the owner of a single low to mid tier property that is independently owned by a family or similar. It is another when a hotel ownership group (frequently the case, where a large company owns many properties under many brand flags) who has managed to maximize revenue at the expense of "not always the most just" business practices over the years wonders why karma has come a knockin at the door.

If I'm staying at your property because you draped yourself in the Marriott flag, I expect that you will provide the panoply of benefits and services I'm guaranteed, subject to impossibility or impracticability due to law, but also subject to notice when the benefits and services cannot be provided. Salt? Hardly.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by clarkef
This Ambassador Elite and lifetime Titanium has been having a great time with Hyatt (Globalist).
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
While Marriott and hotel owners losing $$$$ everyday, here we complain of lack of 4PM late check-out.
Almost no one complains!

We simply exercise the contractual provisions to which we are entitled. Stay calm and carry on.

If you choose to do otherwise, "You've been Bonv°yed!"
anteater likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jun 6, 2020 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is one thing to rub a grain of salt into the owner of a single low to mid tier property that is independently owned by a family or similar. It is another when a hotel ownership group (frequently the case, where a large company owns many properties under many brand flags) who has managed to maximize revenue at the expense of "not always the most just" business practices over the years wonders why karma has come a knockin at the door.

If I'm staying at your property because you draped yourself in the Marriott flag, I expect that you will provide the panoply of benefits and services I'm guaranteed, subject to impossibility or impracticability due to law, but also subject to notice when the benefits and services cannot be provided. Salt? Hardly.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Almost no one complains!

We simply exercise the contractual provisions to which we are entitled. Stay calm and carry on.

If you choose to do otherwise, "You've been Bonv°yed!“
This is what a lot people say the dark side of FT culture. No doubts about it.

We book the room on points. We say under host's roof, eat host's bread for free. And we complain about the lack of "services" impacted by the pandemic (clearly communicated). Then we bad-mouth the host and demand our points back. So we take advantage of the pandemic situation and rob the host of the guest room and food. We put the host deeper in debt. Where is our gratitude?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is what a lot people say the dark side of FT culture. No doubts about it.
No darkness whatsoever. Be prepared! Latch your door.

Most of us are trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

You are welcome to sow clouds of gloom & doom, but most of us smile and go on our merry way — at 16:00 as necessary.

And a Bonv°y to you, too!
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
No darkness whatsoever. Be prepared! Latch your door.

Most of us are trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

You are welcome to sow clouds of gloom & doom, but most of us smile and go on our merry way — at 16:00 as necessary.

And a Bonv°y to you, too!
I see none of the above. Otherwise, we would not have a thread like this.

Good that OP received all the points back. Problem resolved. Nothing is better than free room and free food....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.