Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Refused Late Check-Out due to COVID (Experiences?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Late Check-Out due to COVID (Experiences?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
I'm saying some travelers have a positive attitude and are happy to pay $500 for the room they enjoy. But the few others take advantage of the pandemic situation and claimed the 2PM check-out is punishing the "elite" guest at the hotel. So they get the reason to complain and get all the points back.....
What status do you carry with Marriott?
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Moderator note

Folks, it’s time to move on and leave the thread for those who have something new to contribute to the discussion.

FT doesn’t work at all well when threads become dominated by the same posters repeating the same things in post after post after post.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RedSun
Some common people keep a positive attitude. They can pay $500 for a nice room, enjoy the stay and appreciate the hotel staff for making the hotel available and safe during this difficult time.

But the few hotel "elite" members book on points and demand all the pre-pandemic elite (free) benefits. Then they spend all the negative energy to complain and demand concession. They go the distance from hotel to the hotel corporate. No matter how much time it takes, they won't stop until they get the concession they demand....

Just different kind of people.
"Common people" don't pay $500 per night for a hotel room.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Initially refused 4 pm check-out at Essex House because "housekeeping is on a limited schedule." I replied (a) it's guaranteed, and (b) I'm willing to be flexible and move to another room (currently in a Junior Suite), but I need a room to work in. They agreed to move me to a base room next door.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Initially refused 4 pm check-out at Essex House because "housekeeping is on a limited schedule." I replied (a) it's guaranteed, and (b) I'm willing to be flexible and move to another room (currently in a Junior Suite), but I need a room to work in. They agreed to move me to a base room next door.
This too had been a problem long before COVID. I’m of the opinion that if you cannot guarantee 4pm checkout then don’t upgrade me to that room or give me that choice at check in whether I want to be upgraded with a standard checkout or stay in my booked room category until 4.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmd320
This too had been a problem long before COVID. I’m of the opinion that if you cannot guarantee 4pm checkout then don’t upgrade me to that room or give me that choice at check in whether I want to be upgraded with a standard checkout or stay in my booked room category until 4.
I used SNAs, so the upgrade was confirmed in advance. The issue is that they only have two floors open (and thus only four junior suites total), and housekeeping staff leaves at 3:30 pm. They did not warn me at check-in of this limitation, despite my request via the app for a 4 pm check-out.

I'm not sure why this property is even bothering to stay open with all the limitations. Can't remember the last time I stayed somewhere you had to leave the hotel for coffee in the morning.

Update: Now I know why they're staying open . . . at check-out, FDA mentioned they're staying open because they have full time residents.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 15, 2020 at 7:13 pm Reason: update
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cmd320
Please let's not give hotels another excuse to avoid granting elite upgrades which are a published benefit of the program.

Note that I consider it perfectly fair to give someone an upgrade to a specialty suite with the condition that a 4 pm checkout will/might not be possible--I've gladly taken that deal myself--but ordinary upgrades shouldn't require agreement not to claim other elite benefits. What if the hotel had said that you could get an upgraded room only if you agreed to forego breakfast or bonus points based on status?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please let's not give hotels another excuse to avoid granting elite upgrades which are a published benefit of the program.

Note that I consider it perfectly fair to give someone an upgrade to a specialty suite with the condition that a 4 pm checkout will/might not be possible--I've gladly taken that deal myself--but ordinary upgrades shouldn't require agreement not to claim other elite benefits. What if the hotel had said that you could get an upgraded room only if you agreed to forego breakfast or bonus points based on status?
Fair enough. My main concern is that if I need 4pm checkout, I don't want to be automatically upgraded and then told later on that I can't have 4pm checkout because of my upgrade. I have no problem if at check in I'm given the option of upgrade or 4pm, I just don't want to be told at 11am the day I'm supposed to leave that I have to be out in one hour as opposed to 4pm.
SPN Lifer and clarkef like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
I didn’t stay at this hotel but a hotel I regularly frequent in a metro CA area which went from hundreds of guests (average day pre COVID-19) to just eight guests during my stay and they had no problem granting a 6PM late checkout. I’ve stayed several times during the pandemic.

I agree that there is no regulation preventing a late checkout.
I got a 6 PM check-out at the JW Marriott Parq Vancouver earlier this month.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I love 4 PM check-out. I always take advantage of it. I didn't even realized how valuable it was until I became a Marriott Platinum. It's so being able to sleep in especially if my flight is in the evening. It's even better not having to join the crowd trying to check-out at noon.
SPN Lifer, dcmike, bgasser and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Amb, UA 1K, HLT DIA

I recently stayed at the Fairfield Rehoboth Beach and was declined a 4pm due to COVID. Also no hot food was offered even togo. I wish that these hotels would communicate before I get to the front desk as the only reason I continue my business with Marriott are for the SNA and 4pm checkout. I am lifetime platinum and titanium elite with 120 nights and 7k spend. I have called the Marriott elite line only to be told the 4pm checkout is based upon availability which I pointed out at resorts and conference hotels. The agent said no, its always based on availability. I wonder how Amex FHR are handing their hotels as its in a contract? These hotels are definitely using COVID as an excuse to cut benefits and it seems Marriott doesn't care about loyal guest. I have had great experiences at the Sheraton Portland Airport which everything in the lounge is prepackaged and the Phoenician but I feel that some hotels are making COVID work for them.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by cocacolaenjoy1; Aug 19, 2020 at 6:37 pm
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd contact Marriott/Bonvoy since you have written signed evidence that this property is refusing to even consider late checkouts for elites, although I don't expect them to do anything. You should also report the agent's abysmal lack of knowledge about the basics of the program.

OT but IME FHR is good at following up when a hotel tries to refuse to honor the program's T&C. I've never had an issue with a 4 pm checkout on a FHR reservation, which is why I often use FHR rather than Virtuoso or Hyatt Prive, etc.
SPN Lifer, cmd320 and kaizen7 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd contact Marriott/Bonvoy since you have written signed evidence that this property is refusing to even consider late checkouts for elites, although I don't expect them to do anything. You should also report the agent's abysmal lack of knowledge about the basics of the program.

OT but IME FHR is good at following up when a hotel tries to refuse to honor the program's T&C. I've never had an issue with a 4 pm checkout on a FHR reservation, which is why I often use FHR rather than Virtuoso or Hyatt Prive, etc.
For sure.

Another property to add to the avoid list.
SPN Lifer and kaizen7 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Am I the only one who's disappointed that a GM of a hotel (even a FI) would issue a letter with so many typos and grammatical errors?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Am I the only one who's disappointed that a GM of a hotel (even a FI) would issue a letter with so many typos and grammatical errors?
Yes but it might not be a native English speaker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.