Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The sole occupant at the W Barcelona

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 7:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

came across this in the NYT and thought it would interesting for some of you here. It must feel like "The Shining" wandering around such a large, empty hotel.

"Wandering a Grand Hotel Emptied by Coronavirus, and Checking 1,400 Taps"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/17/w...ronavirus.html
Old May 17, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I was one of 3 guests in the 496-room Sheraton Grand LA in late March (after being kicked out of a Tribute collection property in San Diego that wanted to shut down). I've since been "living" in the Ritz-Carlton Santa Barbara, though on weekends it's quite busy here. I'm now tempted to write about it!
Isochronous and kokinos like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 6:46 pm

Pretty sure that I was one of less than 50 people at the Reni Arlington second week of March. When I asked for an upgrade they gave me the Presidential Suite. The lounge was open still, and they had a buffet, but they cautioned me that they might close it if anyone else cancelled. This was right before all the lockdowns started.

It was interesting having the hotel pretty much to myself.
Old May 19, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Occupant is a bit misleading.

There's a maintenance guy wandering around keeping things in working order, staying at the hotel instead of commuting. (according to the lockdown rules in Spain he would have no problems driving back and forth from his place of residence)

Not a guest stranded "Terminal" style...
Old May 19, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I enjoyed the article. He has more square meters to use than probably anybody in Spain! And perhaps can make use of the gym, spa and pool while off-limits to anybody else. Plus the amazing views.
SacTownGuy and ryw like this.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
I was in the Orlando World Center Marriott for 4 nights during the first week of April.
This is a convention center size hotel with it's own golf course and other premium features.
I was told it was at 1% of capacity when I was there. I booked the cheapest room available and they upgraded me to one of their nicest suites.
I was the last one to check out when they closed it April 5th, then I moved to a Spring Hill Suites and Delta Hotel because all of the high end (category 6 and higher) Marriott hotels were closed around Orlando due to lack of demand.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...nter-marriott/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 2:58 am

How did you feed yourself? Did they have a restaurant open?

It's not like you can walk to an outside restaurant at the "World Center".
Old May 24, 2020, 3:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I was one of five occupants at Marriott in Hua Hin for 8 weeks, checked out today after a lovely longest stay i ever had. 300-room property that reopened to new arrival 3 days ago suddenly lost the 'remote' and 'tranquil' appeal after more than 100 check ins yesterday. Bangkok weekenders made their appearance so I made my exit.
nk15, RocketGoBoom and escape4 like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sokolov
How did you feed yourself? Did they have a restaurant open?

It's not like you can walk to an outside restaurant at the "World Center".
They were letting everyone park right in front of the entrance in valet parking for free, no valet available.
And there were plenty of restaurants nearby that would do carryout or delivery.

The pool was amazing. Massive. Jacuzzi was in sort of cave. The nightly laser light show played for my kids alone.
My daughter had been there before for a YouTuber convention and she said the pool was jam packed and unpleasant back then.
It was a dream when we were there with maybe 4 to 6 other people using that massive outdoor area.

If you are ever in Orlando and there is not a convention happening, it is worth staying there.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...nter-marriott/
Old May 24, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BenSenise
came across this in the NYT and thought it would interesting for some of you here. It must feel like "The Shining" wandering around such a large, empty hotel.

"Wandering a Grand Hotel Emptied by Coronavirus, and Checking 1,400 Taps"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/17/w...ronavirus.html
After reading this, I was interested to see the “heart” on the facade to the hotel. Found a picture here.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...rational-heart

360guy and Bravada04 like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom
If you are ever in Orlando and there is not a convention happening, it is worth staying there.
I have been staying there. I was not impressed. Unless you have a car (or Lyft, etc.), you can't go anywhere, as the compound is massive. So you have to eat at their restaurants.

Sure, they have, I think 7 of them, but still there were long lineups for lunch. Because several of the restaurants were closed for lunchbreak.

Maybe the pool or Jacuzzi are nice, but I don't have time for things like that when I travel. And when I find fourtyfive minutes for a business lunch, I don't want to be told "we'll call you when we have table, probably in an hour and a half or so".
Old May 25, 2020, 5:38 pm

That picture looks awesome! The hotel looks massive in the area compared to anything else?
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.