I miss business travel

Old May 17, 20, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I miss business travel

Given all the times Iíve complained of being tired, how much I hate economy class and planes, how I missed my family when on the road I now find myself really missing the notion of business travel. More to the point I miss hotels

zoom meetings will make some travel, potentially most travel redundant going forward but I miss going to hotels. I miss the hotel room, room service and the ability to get people to bring me a cold beer. When I traveled I was able to find time in each day when I was truly alone and I could just vegitate.

damn it all I miss being able to travel and stay in nice hotels
cmd320, Twickenham, cur and 4 others like this.
Old May 17, 20, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum and Southwest A list
I do miss all the personal travel. Checking in to different hotels, relaxing, visiting the club lounges. We will travel again, and I cannot wait.
Old May 18, 20, 5:48 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Nuhusky View Post
Given all the times Iíve complained of being tired, how much I hate economy class and planes, how I missed my family when on the road I now find myself really missing the notion of business travel. More to the point I miss hotels

zoom meetings will make some travel, potentially most travel redundant going forward but I miss going to hotels. I miss the hotel room, room service and the ability to get people to bring me a cold beer. When I traveled I was able to find time in each day when I was truly alone and I could just vegitate.

damn it all I miss being able to travel and stay in nice hotels
Isn't that what kids are for?
Old May 18, 20, 6:27 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Ryansox View Post
I do miss all the personal travel. Checking in to different hotels, relaxing, visiting the club lounges. We will travel again, and I cannot wait.
I definitely miss traveling overseas where the hotels have much better service, club lounges, and upgrade opportunities. I was just talking to one of my colleagues who asked me when are we going back to SE Asia. He was SO impressed with the club lounge and free breakfast benefit at the Le Meridien hotels that we traveled to.

I already look forward to the day that the ďnew normalĒ settles in and the travel restrictions are lifted.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old May 18, 20, 6:28 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
Isn't that what kids are for?
I do believe this is where Admiral Ackbar says ďItís a TrapĒ.
CALMSP and Jaimito Cartero like this.
Old May 18, 20, 7:47 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Nuhusky View Post
zoom meetings will make some travel, potentially most travel redundant going forward but I miss going to hotels.
It actually gives you the freedom to travel for fun. Think outside the box and find the silver lining.

I've been telecommuting since 1998 and t wasn't until 2005 or so that I realized how much freedom it gave me. I do a first class round the world ticket on oneworld at least once a year and travel first class instead of business or economy. When I first joined FT I relied on upgrades, hence my username aaupgrade, but I found out quickly using OW (and other alliances have similar products) RTW and CirPac tickets I can travel in first, or business when first class is not available, for reasonably affordable amounts. I still work for a software company and do everything remotely as it has been that way in our field for quite a while. The down side to my travel is I have to pay for it instead of my company paying for it, but I have full autonomy over what, when and where. I've done everything from weekend trips to 2 month trips and 30 day cruises. FWIW, I have no desire to do another 30 day cruise ever again. Anything over 20 days is too long a time on a ship with the repetitive meals even on Oceania who is know for the excellent cuisine. I do miss my travel, but it will return at some point.

About 10 years ago I bought a second home in Vail, CO as I've been a skier since I was 12. As the Vail lifties say, "I'm living the dream" and they're talking about working as a lift operator and skiing for the season. I ski every morning and work early mornings and in the afternoon. I realized back in early 2000s that I didn't have to stay at my home in DC to work and waited patiently for the right time, place and price to buy my second home. I missed my previous opportunity in 2000 so waited patiently for 10 years before I was able to fulfill that dream.

Now I am single so all of this is quite easy, but there is no reason why a family could not do the same. In this day and age of home schooling, not only could they provide their children a good education but an excellent education experiencing history, culture, languages and sights around the world. Yes, it takes a lot to make changes and it's scary, but thinking outside the box you can probably come up with some awesome ideas.

I've enjoyed my travels and my May travel changed to September travel and may well change again to December travel or later. Time will tell, and modifying plans are easy with RTW and CirPac tickets as date and time changes are free, and routing changes only cost $125 and even that is being waved right now on a case by case basis. I never make non-refundable hotel reservations so cancelling or making modifications are easy. Cruise cancellations are a bit more problematic in our current environment, but these are challenging times and hopefully I'll see refunds within 90 days as they promised.

Note: I had planned on suspending travel in the coming years, or at least drastically reducing it, as I've been doing this for 15+ years now and need a break. Also, now seems .... a good time to take a break. After a couple years I'm sure I'll be back at it. Until then my current travel plans may extend my travel into next year anyway.

I will still be in Vail for winter skiing as I am every winter, if they're open. That's a big if with all the visitors to Vail from all over the world. Of course I doubt many people will choose the US to visit this winter with almost a third of the world's Covid19 cases occurring here. Also Vail was a hot spot early on with the first case from a California man who had visited Italy prior to visiting Summit and Eagle Counties for skiing in February bringing the first transmission to the area. Then the Burton US Open at the end of February which brought in a plethora of visitors; the Mexican contingent of 200 took the coronavirus back to Mexico with them. With everyone eating out, apres ski, concerts, etc. there is a lot of close social interaction which may again keep the ski resorts closed this winter, time will tell...

Telecommuting takes a lot of getting used to, but once you get used to it, your life style and life activities change considerably. Enjoy the ride. Sorry I'm one of those eternal optimists.
Old May 18, 20, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
i miss expenses. now i actually have to pay for things. also miss not earning ridiculous amount of hotel/air/credit card points on company dime.
Voodoo Daddy and andrewstahl like this.
Old May 18, 20, 9:36 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Actually this pause gives people the opportunity to experience something they never had before. For the road warriors, now they get chance to know much the house chores are and how much their other halves are doing everyday. Now they can also get time to spend time with their kids (if they get any) and enjoy something they have missed before.

Travel will return, but it will be somehow different.
Old May 18, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime TITANIUM, Delta Skymiles
More than business travel......I miss business.
VCURamFan likes this.
Old May 18, 20, 11:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I miss first class cabins, luxury hotel rooms and dining out on corporate budget.

yup.
anteater, Isochronous and Thysk like this.
Old May 18, 20, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
I miss first class cabins, luxury hotel rooms and dining out on corporate budget.

yup.
I have a per diem, I loved tracking my expenses so Iíd come home with money in my pocket. Iíd always make money when going away on business, international travel could make me a couple hundred a day in unused per diem
cur, CO-PLAT and Thysk like this.
Old May 18, 20, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I enjoy company travel, and enjoy per diems. But health needs to be our number one concern. And finding ways to protect the workers and their livelihoods who cannot work from home. Not an easy balance, but we can and will find a way.
ALARISstl likes this.
Old May 19, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I haven't been doing business travel (much) for a few years, but I generally miss travel. A ski trip to Switzerland, and a long weekend watching the F1 in the Netherlands have already gone by the wayside, and I'd love to be given the option to get back on the road for a trip. Thanks to this post by Diamond Geezer, I was prompted to measure my own travel since the lockdown. Since the lockdown, I've only been inside a triangle with sides of 4.5 miles by 3.9 miles by 8.8 miles, stretching from White City in the north, to Battersea park in the south-east and North Sheen in the south-west.

This does remind me of one of my favourite rants on film, the NSFW "I WANT ROOM SERVICE" from Johnny Mnemonic.

Old May 19, 20, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I went to just under 40 countries in the year before covid. I miss traveling a bit, but I surprisingly don't miss business traveling - at all.

I never trusted hotel hygiene standards - TV remotes, bed covers and I sure as heck don't trust w covid spreading

And airplane travel. I hate it. Always have. Unless I can/will afford a private jet I will always hate the experience

I'll go back to hotels but hopefully more within a drive of where I'm based. I'll travel again when needed but will think twice before flying 18 hours for a meeting
​​​
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 5:10 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
I do like to travel and also miss business travel, but not as much as I thought I would. And suspect I will have little to no business traveling the rest of this year either.

It is actually my personal trips that I'm missing more. I've already missed a couple of short getaways with my spouse and we are supposed to be heading to the Florida Panhandle next week. I haven't cancelled that trip yet, but even if we decide to go, we will drive now rather than fly. And earlier this year I found a really, really low rate at the Cancun RC for December (about $180/night for an ocean-front suite room) which I'm now worried we will have to cancel as I'm not sure international travel will be a good thing this year at all. Plus by now I would have usually already scheduled our semi-annual trip to Orlando (usually to visit the Universal parks, but we will do Disney every now and then.) These are the trips that I'm missing more than my business trips.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: