Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I miss business travel

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I have just completed a conference on the web (which normally lasts 5 days in a major city) with approximately 900 participants using a combination of Zoom and WebEx. The week costs me about $3000 all in for hotels, food and transportation and,incidentals. This year, it cost me nothing which means it cost my organization nothing to reimburse me for the expenses. Not only that, I also was able to work in the downtime between sessions meaning I was actually still doing work while "attending" a national conference.

Bottom line....the conference agenda and work was completed on time and as scheduled, organizations that put on the conference and sent the participants saved a bucket load of money since they didn't have to feed, house and entertain the participants, got better productivity from those attending, and all participants stayed healthy.
The losers? The city's hospitality and tourist industry and all those who work in it as well as airlines (I had to cancel my flights).

If one thinks that industry and business will not recognize all of the benefits of remote working for business conferences and development, then this pandemic has shown them and us otherwise.

And as a sequel, I have now had 5 additional conferences and work related meeting cancelled and converted to remote venues all the way out to December.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:46 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
I have a per diem, I loved tracking my expenses so I’d come home with money in my pocket. I’d always make money when going away on business, international travel could make me a couple hundred a day in unused per diem
my "income" has also taken a steep cut because of this...subway and the same sheraton/marriott breakfasts were made delicious by the dinero i was pocketing, buying a 6 pack from the gas station instead of from bar and hanging out on the patio/garden/pool, i'd even take 60 min transit over a 30 min taxi/uber to pocket $47. ahhh memories. but soon.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
My business trips the last three years have topped me up from Platinum qualification on leisure travel to Titanium (the extra free night!). Of course, no chance of that this year but thanks to the status extension it won't matter and we can be back on track for qualification in 2021.

I too like my work trips. 4-5 a year and I've been paid to go to some nice places (Paris, Guadalajara, Jo'burg, Jakarta, Barcelona as well as "home" cities KL and London). Out daily budget depends the city and reaches to Le Meridien/Renaissance/Sheraton/Marriott/Westin level hotels with occasional reaches to JW so I've no complaints when there's a lounge to feed and water me and I can pocket the entirety of the per diem (JW in Jakarta was probably the best for this as the booze flowed freely all evening and it's expensive in Indonesia).

I don't expect any business travel this year as my job is being done remotely using Zoom. I'm starting to feel trapped...
Old May 20, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I've already had one fall conference go virtual, and am anticipating many more.

Yes, they will be cheaper, and I will be able to work during my down time...I'm also thinking they will be about 1/10, best case, as interesting, rewarding, and revenue-generating for me.

While I can do my day to day work from home/virtually just fine, it's no substitute for meeting people & generating new business.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:05 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by cur
my "income" has also taken a steep cut because of this...subway and the same sheraton/marriott breakfasts were made delicious by the dinero i was pocketing, buying a 6 pack from the gas station instead of from bar and hanging out on the patio/garden/pool, i'd even take 60 min transit over a 30 min taxi/uber to pocket $47. ahhh memories. but soon.
Hi, Cur. Bob from Accounting would like to have a word with you
aaupgrade, DFW_CK and CO-PLAT like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
what Mrs. CALMSP and I miss is our date nights in Europe. So many times we'd both be on separate business trips in Europe and then meet up in one location or another. And we're suppose to fly ORD-WAW tonight..........obviously that ain't happening.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:26 pm

Yeah, I can't stand working from home. I find I am much more productive (and the rest of my team as well) when we are together at a client site.

But, I'm grateful I have a job, so I can't complain. Others are not so lucky.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I miss my trips to Brazil, Hong Kong and India.

I miss the flying, the lounges and the hotels.

The part I miss the most is the food that I don’t get to eat at home .. traveling to those countries satisfied my cravings.

Next year .. I hope😢
Old May 25, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
I thought I would miss the travel a lot more than I am. The best part is that I get really good sleep at home! Overall, I feel more rested, less sore, and generally healthier.
Old May 25, 2020, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by canuckshark
I thought I would miss the travel a lot more than I am. The best part is that I get really good sleep at home! Overall, I feel more rested, less sore, and generally healthier.
you must not have young children
Old May 25, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
you must not have young children
I have a 13 year old who likes to sleep in longer than either mom 0r dad. Winner winner chicken dinner!

Last edited by DFW_CK; May 25, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Old May 25, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I have mixed feelings about business travel right now. I work for an essential business, and I have been told that I will need to start traveling across the US soon. Luckily, my international travel has been canceled for the rest of the year. But the first place I am scheduled to fly into is LGA.

While I am very grateful that I still have a job, and my company is financially stable, I really don't want to get sick while traveling and have to go into quarantine on the road. I really need my job, so I don't feel like I can complain about it at work.

I think the most dangerous time will be on the flights. From what I am reading, flights into NYC airports are pretty full right now. When I saw the news reports that the airlines will let people take off their face masks after they are on board the plane, that made me angry. For some people right now, traveling isn't a choice.

My trip to NYC will probably be in early to mid June. I enjoy traveling, but have very mixed feelings about this first trip.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Metro NYC is on a heavy case decline at the moment, so it's a pretty good place to come visit. And people here actually do wear their masks too...
jeanie likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For what it's worth, it's a lot less pleasant to be traveling for business. I've been on the road still for my job and the worst part is there's nowhere to eat now. April was especially bad with all dining closed so you were stuck with whatever you could find for delivery. At one point I ordered crappy lo mein from a second rate Chinese joint in Charleston and they didn't give me utensils and the hotel didn't have any. That was really unpleasant.

It's getting better but last week in Atlanta the only place open downtown (including at the Westin Peachtree which shut everything down) was Hooters.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Things were bad with covid, these riots will probably set everything back further in some locations. We seem hell bent on extinction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.