Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Benefits of Earning Status This Year

Old May 13, 2020, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

My priority coming into this year was maintaining Platinum for two more years to earn lifetime Platinum status. Now that my status has been extended for a year - including a year of lifetime - is there any advantage (other than choice of gift and the points) in trying to earn status this year? I assume earning through stays and card spend wouldn't earn a 2nd year toward lifetime. It would definitely be a stretch, so if there isn't a significant advantage I won't go out of my way to make it happen.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Years of lifetime status must be "earned".

This implies that an "extended" year does not count toward lifetime status. However, as set forth below, The Points Guy confirmed with Marriott that it will count toward lifetime.

So, in your situation, it sounds like another earned year would be helpful only with respect to choice awards, total lifetime nights, and avoiding uncertainty about what is not yet in the terms and conditions.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; May 14, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Old May 13, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer

An "extended" year does not count toward lifetime status.

So, in your situation, it sounds like another earned year would be helpful.
When they give a soft landing you get another year of Platinum status on the counter. Or at least I did. Why would an extension be different?
Old May 13, 2020, 11:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Is this just common sense at play re the year extension not counting towards lifetime status, or is there something official that states this? I have over 90 nights so far this year and despite my status being safe until 2022 like everybody else, want to know if my activity this year will count as another year towards lifetime status. I know the nights do and have seen the ticker increase, but the year is the more important metric.

Thank you!

khabah
Old May 14, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by christoman
My priority coming into this year was maintaining Platinum for two more years to earn lifetime Platinum status. Now that my status has been extended for a year - including a year of lifetime - is there any advantage (other than choice of gift and the points) in trying to earn status this year? I assume earning through stays and card spend wouldn't earn a 2nd year toward lifetime. It would definitely be a stretch, so if there isn't a significant advantage I won't go out of my way to make it happen.
Can you link to the T&Cs / Bonvoy Statement that says the status extension includes a year of lifetime to remove any speculation, doubt, and debate please. Or is this a speculative comment on your part? I do not recall seeing this but that doesn't mean it's not a fact.

I'm in the same situation as you and am aiming for 50 nights this year and 50 nights next year (2021) to get lifetime Platinum as I'm currently on eight years. I have 32 nights so far and it's not a reach to get to 50 by the end of December. But if I am to be gifted this lifetime year as part of the Corona status extension then I'd like to know definitively now to take off the pressure.

Thanks.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Can you link to the T&Cs / Bonvoy Statement that says the status extension includes a year of lifetime to remove any speculation, doubt, and debate please. Or is this a speculative comment on your part? I do not recall seeing this but that doesn't mean it's not a fact.

I'm in the same situation as you and am aiming for 50 nights this year and 50 nights next year (2021) to get lifetime Platinum as I'm currently on eight years. I have 32 nights so far and it's not a reach to get to 50 by the end of December. But if I am to be gifted this lifetime year as part of the Corona status extension then I'd like to know definitively now to take off the pressure.

Thanks.
Marriott doesn't work that way.

Soft landings weren't a published benefit, but were a widely known feature. Then Marriott apparently changed their minds this year - despite firm guidance from lurkers that it wouldn't - but then if you pushed hard enough via social media you might have received your soft landing again. And many people have reported an extra LT Platinum year from soft landings in the past. (as well as fast tracks FWIW)

All of this is to say that you either play the game or you try to lock it in by staying 50 nights. (even though Marriott IT is also dumb enough to turn off the year counter for everybody this year)

Marriott won't confirm a big loophole towards LTP and nobody really knows how they will treat these status extensions.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Marriott doesn't work that way.

Soft landings weren't a published benefit, but were a widely known feature. Then Marriott apparently changed their minds this year - despite firm guidance from lurkers that it wouldn't - but then if you pushed hard enough via social media you might have received your soft landing again. And many people have reported an extra LT Platinum year from soft landings in the past. (as well as fast tracks FWIW)

All of this is to say that you either play the game or you try to lock it in by staying 50 nights. (even though Marriott IT is also dumb enough to turn off the year counter for everybody this year)

Marriott won't confirm a big loophole towards LTP and nobody really knows how they will treat these status extensions.
Right, thank you, so it's speculation that the announced status extension will result in an additional lifetime year. (And nothing to do with soft landings, eh?) That's all I wanted clarification on: a statement that was made as fact by the OP that is in fact speculation. I'll do my 50 nights as planned this year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Right, thank you, so it's speculation that the announced status extension will result in an additional lifetime year. (And nothing to do with soft landings, eh?) That's all I wanted clarification on: a statement that was made as fact by the OP that is in fact speculation. I'll do my 50 nights as planned this year.
Soft landings are the closest thing to an "unearned lifetime year" that we have. The example is often used to contradict those wannabe lawyers who like to point to T&Cs and then argue that you need to "earn" a Platinum year.

I have higher confidence in gaining a free Platinum year than the word "speculation" might suggest. But it's not written anywhere and I doubt that it will be.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
One thing that I have learned is that 'A bird in the hand' is worth more than an implied promise. Soft landings and status extensions are nice and may actually happen, but when all is said and done do you want to find out the expected credit didn't happen? If you are traveling and need a room why not use the same metric use?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, LT Marriott Plat
The extra year will count toward Marriott lifetime elite status.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...e-coronavirus/
Old May 14, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by destg
So folks who got a soft landing Or extension effectively got 2 years towards lifetime status. This year and next year.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Would be nice if Marriott allowed rollover or something for those that kept staying with them but I highly doubt they will do anything.
basically all you will gain is the choice benefits.

Marriott should offer additional choice benefits past 75. Seems dumb not to at least do some extra useless suite nights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite

It should be... but you think Marriott IT can tell the difference.....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Even if they give 1 additional year towards LTP, for many people who usually only do circa. 50 nights per year, theyd still be short of the total nights. Ill probably need to do 13 years to get it anyway so the additional year wont make much difference, even more so if Im not doing the nights this year. For a few, it might help if youve already done enough nights but I suspect thatll be the minority.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I just combined my spg and Marriott acct. My lifetime night is 125 and i have 10 years of platinum status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.