Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Should Marriott Roll Back the Spring Category Bumps?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

I admit I don't have a dog in this fight, as no trip I had scheduled was affected. But reading some other forums and social media, many people are canceling trips booked on Bonvoy points. Attempts to reschedule are being hit with new categories and increased points needed. Interesting thought as the travel bans hit nearly at the same time as the Category bumps, I think I'd be pretty irritated if I had a Hawaii trip booked that suddenly needed 20% more points or so to reschedule. Rolling back until next year would go miles in good will while people got things back in order.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I admit I don't have a dog in this fight, as no trip I had scheduled was affected. But reading some other forums and social media, many people are canceling trips booked on Bonvoy points. Attempts to reschedule are being hit with new categories and increased points needed. Interesting thought as the travel bans hit nearly at the same time as the Category bumps, I think I'd be pretty irritated if I had a Hawaii trip booked that suddenly needed 20% more points or so to reschedule. Rolling back until next year would go miles in good will while people got things back in order.
No, because they need cash and incentivizing people to use points is not helpful for that.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Yeah it's not a good look, changing category levels after Covid19 started, they rolled back the March 3 changes for China...

I see they are also still getting a bunch of requests for 2019 status extensions (and soft landings). They should just restore everyone back to the status they had on Jan 31. Make like 2020 hasn't happened.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
No, because they need cash and incentivizing people to use points is not helpful for that.
​​​​​​Future rates are never guaranteed, but paid stays can often be gotten for similar costs. The Bonvoy jump can't be avoided. They can limit the number of rooms on awards to mitigate, but they were hitting all resort spots hard with this last round.
Old May 12, 2020, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yeah it's not a good look, changing category levels after Covid19 started, they rolled back the March 3 changes for China...
Ironically, everything is almost back to normal in China with fireworks and light show celebrations while the rest of he world is falling apart thanks to Covid 19.
360guy and imverge like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Ironically, everything is almost back to normal in China with fireworks and light show celebrations while the rest of he world is falling apart thanks to Covid 19.
Leave it to China to dump it's problems off on the world and celebrate...
Old May 12, 2020, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I thought this piece by Bill Maher summed it up pretty well.

Intl359Widget and ftrichard like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 9:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I'm on no-one's side, but playing devil's advocate. China did went through 3 months of complete lock down in the first quarter when the rest of the world just shrugged its shoulder and claimed it was just a common flu..

But I have to agree with Nexus here, it doesn't incentivize Marriott to promote using their points now, they need cash more than anything else now.
On the other hand, certain regions are taking initiatives to by participating in Points Saver till the end of the year to encourage stays with points due to low occupancy. They are mostly Asian properties though, the Naka Islands in Phuket off-peak + points saver only cost 35k, for once I know my FN certs are going to put in good use (redeeming a CAT 5 cert for a CAT 6 property) for a year end island vacay.
Intl359Widget likes this.

Last edited by exploreaswego; May 12, 2020 at 9:51 pm
Old May 13, 2020, 12:24 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
I wish they would. I've had a 10 night July stay booked at the Marriott London Park Lane when it was a Cat 7 and before peak pricing. I knew it would likely be my last stay there, as Cat 8 + peak pricing is just too rich for my blood. After several years staying there, I'm sad to realize that my last stay at the Park Lane is already behind me (as I think this July's stay is unlikely to happen).
Old May 13, 2020, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
​​​​​​Future rates are never guaranteed, but paid stays can often be gotten for similar costs. The Bonvoy jump can't be avoided. They can limit the number of rooms on awards to mitigate, but they were hitting all resort spots hard with this last round.
As nexusCFX notes, hotels are currently desperate for cash. If they can push guests to rebook with cash instead of points, they can improve their situation. Since resorts are more likely to require a deposit, it means they get that money now. In comparison, points stays are not paid by the chain until after the guest departs.

(I never worked for a Marriott. But, I did work in the accounting office of a hotel for about a year. Point stays were paid via the normal accounts receivable process. That meant it took a few weeks to get paid for points redemptions.)

It's also worth noting that unless a hotel is full, points redemptions are miniscule. Once a hotel hits a certain occupancy (which varies by hotel group but often is 90%), the hotel will get paid a much higher rate (usually the average daily rate for the date the points were deemed). As such, a cash booking can bring in multiple times more actual money than a points booking unless the hotel is full. Since no one really knows when leisure travel will return to normal levels, a smart hotel will push guests to make cash reservations.

The question a company like Marriott faces is whether the inability to rebook a reservation at the same rate for future travel going to anger people enough to get those people to switch to a different hotel group (even if they wait until they've redeemed existing points). Personally, I doubt that would happen with too many people. Although, I suppose it could be the tipping point if someone had other issues with Marriott.
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Maybe.. just maybe that was their plan all along
Old May 13, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by exploreaswego
China did went through 3 months of complete lock down in the first quarter
Just the city of wuhan actually..
Old May 13, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Is it time to lock this thread? Or maybe we just delete all the non-Flyertalk related banter and merge with the following thread:

Will Marriott reduce their exorbitant point redemptions in the future?

People seem to want to turn everything into a political debate these days and who is to blame for what and who reacted how. Let's get back on topic and take your comments on politics and stuff like that elsewhere please! FT is not the place for these discussions IMHO!

I see both sides of Marriott wanting people to pay for their stays since they will need cash but I also think there is an argument to rollback the increase since that will also motivate people to start traveling again. Reality is even when we use points to stay at hotels we likely will spend other money at the hotels.

Last edited by christianj; May 13, 2020 at 6:49 am
Old May 13, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by christianj
they will need cash but I also think there is an argument to rollback the increase since that will also motivate people to start traveling again
Marriott (and every other travel / hospitality company) doesn't want people to start traveling again; it wants them to start paying again. I may not agree with everything MR has done in past years, but I also realize that at the end of the day they're not a charity.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:47 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

It is just wrong to defend Marriott for its need for cash. All people and business are short of cash now. But this is not the time to squeeze the customer base for the cash.

A hotel "loyalty" program is for the loyal customer base. Without this customer base, travelers won't stay at the hotels, and they won't open wallet to pay for the room, food and drinks. Hotels need the occupancy up. They earn nothing with the rooms empty, cash or points.

As I said before, Marriott's response to virus has been very short-sighted. It is nothing like Hilton and Hyatt. Granted, Marriott still gets its huge footprints and all the nice properties. But when travel starts again, we all have to evaluate our loyalty again. By continuing its point devaluation during this Covid, Marriott may be able to squeeze a few $ here and there. But I figure it will lose more when traveling is back. Hotels are empty and there are good deals everywhere. Now we get more choices....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.